• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:36 PM

Hi

I'm putting together a "video" for our visitors to train them on GMPs.  Basically, this is a PowerPoint set to forward through the slides on a timer (super easy to make).

My problem is not sounding like a robot - for example, I have a slide that says welcome, and then a slide that says :

"You must comply with rules listed in order to maintain your safety and the safety of our food"

Or "Washing Hands is mandatory prior to entering production"

Are there any funny / clever / more empathetic spins on the classics?  Does anyone have an example GMP power point  (for visitors ) I can peruse to steal turns of phrases?

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:44 PM

What a great idea!  Don't have one....but I want one.   Now I need to do something along similar lines.  

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:52 PM

Ecolab has some. Sometimes even your chemical supplier may have them. I'll look over what cheesy lines they use in those 70's videos. It's a great idea to update these!

BTW...whatever happen to your video game idea?

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:59 PM

funny-dog-picture-wash-da-paws.jpg

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:49 PM

Instead of your robotic intro how about:

Welcome Visitors!

While we are happy to have you on our site we have a question for you:

*Time about 4 second delay then fly in*

How can food safety be impacted by your visit and why does it matter?

*time a few second delay and either appear or blinds*

Without following the Good Manufacturing Practices and policies that follow we could all put thousands of people at risk by contaminating their food!

-- Use delays, colors, pictures, and animations on text to make your training more lively!  I use green for questions to the group.  Typically they have a click delay when I'm doing the training live otherwise they have around a 5-7 second delay for people to have a chance to think.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:09 PM

This is how my training presentations look after I put them together. 

http://www.ifsqn.com...torwelcomepptx/

Edited by Mr. Incognito, 16 December 2014 - 01:14 PM.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:11 PM

Make sure you write them in a way that sounds like you would say something to a group.  Would you say "You must comply with the rules" or would you say "While inside our facility we ask you to follow our good manufacturing practices to keep our food safe for everyone who eats it"

Always read it over... if it sounds forced, psychotic, or robotic... revise  :shades:  (Don't put: "I'll stab you if I see you walk in without washing your hands" even if you really feel that way  :roflmao: )

Mr. Incognito

That Guy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 16 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:I'm a nerd, enough said.

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:19 PM

I like the idea of a video or power point presentation for this, we currently have an agreement form that visitors read then sign, its a long document and I don't think everyone actually reads it.

Chive On.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:29 PM

If I did a video for GMPs I'd try to make it a funny video like a comedy but still with the important points.  You want to keep people interested and paying attention while highlighting the important things.  A few jokes and things mixed in.  Nobody likes dry videos or cheesy videos.  I wanted to die every time I had to sit through temps or new employees watching the FDA Employees FIRST video.

It's not that the FIRST video is horrible... it's just cheesy and dumb imo.  It has a lot of good information but it gets lost in an animated talking number 1.

Mr. Incognito

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 98 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:42 PM

If I did a video for GMPs I'd try to make it a funny video like a comedy but still with the important points.  You want to keep people interested and paying attention while highlighting the important things.  A few jokes and things mixed in.  Nobody likes dry videos or cheesy videos.  I wanted to die every time I had to sit through temps or new employees watching the FDA Employees FIRST video.

It's not that the FIRST video is horrible... it's just cheesy and dumb imo.  It has a lot of good information but it gets lost in an animated talking number 1.

I agree with this.. a lot. Is this the same video with the Inspector Gadget Claw hand?? lol

Right now, for all new temps / new hires I do an orientation session. It usually takes about 2 hours. We take a tour of the facility, go through a couple videos, HACCP and GMPs from Silliker and JJ Keller. I like their stuff, informative, not tooooooo dry, not too goofy either. I review the major points of our GMP policy, which I like doing in person. If i see alot of jewelry in the crowd, then I spend time talking about why we have a no jewelry policy... things like that. I can personalize for the group that is in front of me. Plus this is where I can display my overwhelming charm.  :shades:   I tell people I know it seems like an a-hole thing to do, but we've written into policy that you do not hold open doors for other people when entering the facility for security purposes, everyone coming into the facility will have a fob or a passcode. I like the idea of a video, it sure would save me some time... but for now, I kind of like doing the sessions, it also gives me an impression of what type of worker they will be (if they yawn and grumble through the whole thing or if they are attentive and asking questions..)

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:57 PM

but for now, I kind of like doing the sessions, it also gives me an impression of what type of worker they will be (if they yawn and grumble through the whole thing or if they are attentive and asking questions..)

If the video isn't too long you can always have a spoken portion to address things like that or to wrap it all up: "That was a great video right?" (when nobody agrees say something dumb like "Well I like it!") "I see you all like to look like you belong in the Terminator series but we'll have to ask you to remove all of that visible jewelry" :roflmao:  ok maybe not exactly that but it would be funny. 

Plus this is where I can display my overwhelming charm.  :shades:   

oh? do tell  :lol2:

Mr. Incognito

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

Ugh, it DOES sound psychotic and robotic.   See attached.  It looks way better with the pictures (my employees really hammed it up, because the pictures were of their favorite thing - them!)

Ecolab has some. Sometimes even your chemical supplier may have them. I'll look over what cheesy lines they use in those 70's videos. It's a great idea to update these!

BTW...whatever happen to your video game idea?

I'm glad you asked :D

Lack of interest / lack of direction or solid gameplay idea / Holidaze.   I haven't given up though!   Someday....

You can totally help by reminding / nagging me, and/or adding ideas to this page.  Public shame is basically the only thing that motivates me. 

tinyurl.com/qagame

Instead of your robotic intro how about:

Welcome Visitors!

While we are happy to have you on our site we have a question for you:

*Time about 4 second delay then fly in*

How can food safety be impacted by your visit and why does it matter?

*time a few second delay and either appear or blinds*

Without following the Good Manufacturing Practices and policies that follow we could all put thousands of people at risk by contaminating their food!

-- Use delays, colors, pictures, and animations on text to make your training more lively!  I use green for questions to the group.  Typically they have a click delay when I'm doing the training live otherwise they have around a 5-7 second delay for people to have a chance to think.

Yes, these will all be set on a timer and auto played.   The idea is to make this usable as training for temps on the night shift that I won't see.  Just a double click for our technology adverse supervisor and viola!   They will sign a copy of our GMPs once the video is complete.  The play back is super easy to set up in power point, just go to rehearse timings, set the timing, then file - save as - powerpoint Show .  They won't have to do anything but double click once.  It actually saves as ppsx, a file type I can not upload here.

I've been toying with making the office staff do voice overs in their sales voices, but if I get too ambitious I'll never finish.  I want it to be professional looking but I'm not a professional and it's not worth paying someone :crybaby:

This is how my training presentations look after I put them together. 

http://www.ifsqn.com...torwelcomepptx/

I only saw one slide...but I'll steal everything I can from it!

Edited by magenta_majors, 16 December 2014 - 03:12 PM.

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:13 PM

(when nobody agrees say something dumb like "Well I like it!")

:roflmao: This is my new MO for every lull in conversation

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:34 PM

I only saw one slide...but I'll steal everything I can from it!

I only made one slide!!! that's why you only saw one  :roflmao:  I made it for you. It was just an example of how one of my slides typically look... I should sell my services making PPTs for people.  I also do voices.. all of them horribly and none of them sound like the ones in my head  :silly:  :secret:  :helpplease:

I started doing all of my training slides with voice-over so that if people miss training I can make them sit down and I do do other things.  Mainly because I have subtext in my slides and people need to have an idea what I'm talking about to properly train it.  I mean I can't put EVERYTHING in the slides... they would be like 100 slides just for GMPs... but I can put the basics on the slide and talk about the rest.  Some people just read my slides and training is over.  It hurts my soul which is why I drink  :beer:  :drunk:  and vape  :gitane:

Mr. Incognito

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 98 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:44 PM

oh? do tell  :lol2:

I pretty sure no other trainer uses curse words during an orientation like I do... but I try to liven it up and make it relevant for who I am talking to. I tell stories of people backing into triple stacked pallets of berries with a towmotor spilling almost 5000# onto the floor (we have a sanitation crew, but they are not your personal maid service, you clean up your mess and if you do something like spill 5,000# of berries on the floor then they can help you clean it) ... of people wearing ripped jeans next to moving conveyor belts and having their clothes ripped right off their body (why we have such a strict dress code for visitors and a uniform policy for employees)...  I've found that if they dont understand why I am telling them what I am telling them, then they dont care. I want people to understand WHY they should care about this job

Plus the stories seem to keep their attention. 

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

I pretty sure no other trainer uses curse words during an orientation like I do... but I try to liven it up and make it relevant for who I am talking to. I tell stories of people backing into triple stacked pallets of berries with a towmotor spilling almost 5000# onto the floor (we have a sanitation crew, but they are not your personal maid service, you clean up your mess and if you do something like spill 5,000# of berries on the floor then they can help you clean it) ... of people wearing ripped jeans next to moving conveyor belts and having their clothes ripped right off their body (why we have such a strict dress code for visitors and a uniform policy for employees)...  I've found that if they dont understand why I am telling them what I am telling them, then they dont care. I want people to understand WHY they should care about this job

Plus the stories seem to keep their attention. 

Nice!

We've had a long thread on here before about training and why people don't pay attention or care about rules and a lot of people agreed it came down to the why.  Why can't I do this.  Why can't I do that.  If they think it's some dumb made up rule because, of course, you have nothing better to do than make more rules they are less apt to follow them.

Mr. Incognito

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:29 PM

I'd like to see the rest. It's pure GOLD.

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 98 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:03 PM

Maybe we could join forces and everyone takes a section to make the ultimate training power point! lol!!

-Wayne W. Dyer

jkoratich712

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 99 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food, books, bakeries, coffee, HACCP, sanitation

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:00 PM

We have a training video that was completed by an intern that is rather entertaining. She demonstrated behaviors done at home that are 'acceptable' but would not be acceptable in the plant. For instance, while at lunch a chip falls off her plate on to the table, she picks it up and eats it anyway. The video then goes into slow motion to reiterate the fact that it fell on the table. It then cuts to the production plant where food falls onto the floor and an operator goes to pick it up. A supervisor steps in to stop them and explains why. She had about 3-4 different items that she demonstrated this way. It was pretty entertaining, but has definitely generated conversation during trainings. I have it in the middle of a PowerPoint presentation, so it breaks it up a bit.

Thanked by 1 Member:

liberator

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 43 thanks
Excellent

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Sci-Fi - Movies/TV
    Model Kit Building
    Gardening
    Home Renovations
    Riding my Motorcycle

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:04 AM

Real life examples always help your cause in these circumstances. If you have examples of customer complaints - not necessarily from your site, that relate to what you are asking then show these. Photos of food containing things like wedding rings, finger nails, teeth etc. horrify most people - they need to understand how and why they got there and this is why we do this (GMP) to stop this happening!

Toilet breaks are always a hot topic - just why we insist people wash their hands after the toilet, eating and blowing their nose. A short video of an operator using the toilet and then leaving without washing their hands (You can make this as gross as you like!) Then end it with "Would you eat food prepared by this operator?" No?, then make sure you wash your hands... etc. etc. Show someone sneezing all over a line of food about to be packed. Someone Picking their nose and then putting their hand into food they are preparing. Show hair falling off their head into product because they are not wearing their hairnet correctly. Horrifying and gross but it happens!

You really need to personalise it – state – “you could be the customer buying this product to feed to your family. How would you feel knowing someone has done this to your food?”

Thanked by 1 Member:

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:08 PM

Real life examples always help your cause in these circumstances. If you have examples of customer complaints - not necessarily from your site, that relate to what you are asking then show these. Photos of food containing things like wedding rings, finger nails, teeth etc. horrify most people - they need to understand how and why they got there and this is why we do this (GMP) to stop this happening!

Toilet breaks are always a hot topic - just why we insist people wash their hands after the toilet, eating and blowing their nose. A short video of an operator using the toilet and then leaving without washing their hands (You can make this as gross as you like!) Then end it with "Would you eat food prepared by this operator?" No?, then make sure you wash your hands... etc. etc. Show someone sneezing all over a line of food about to be packed. Someone Picking their nose and then putting their hand into food they are preparing. Show hair falling off their head into product because they are not wearing their hairnet correctly. Horrifying and gross but it happens!

You really need to personalise it – state – “you could be the customer buying this product to feed to your family. How would you feel knowing someone has done this to your food?”

I like this approach and theory, but this video is for customers who tour the factory,not the workers, and I don't want to gross them out.  The theme has to be "Welcome to our elegant, up-scale, hoity toity, high tone factory. It's just like a real company! You might not be a good / rich enough person to be here, so wash your hands, you dirty stranger."  Also my sales team would be p***** becuase they're trying to only subject these people to pleasant things.   Employee training though - fake.  blood.  everywhere. 

A short video of an operator using the toilet

:yikes:  I don't know how they do things in Australia, but I'd totally get fired for this here :rofl2:

I ended up getting our workers with accents to do voice overs because Americans think people with accents are smarter.   With the voice over I was able to remove all of the text but a few words on the screen so the design is basically pictures I 'shopped (chocolate on the wall?  Hello clone tool) with a couple key words on the slide.   "How to design a power point" websites told me this was most effective.  

Edited by magenta_majors, 18 December 2014 - 12:12 PM.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:17 PM

Also you shouldn't ever make a video or take pictures of someone purposefully breaking the GMPs even for training material.  

Mr. Incognito

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:24 PM

Also you shouldn't ever make a video or take pictures of someone purposefully breaking the GMPs even for training material.  

What if Im standing next to them looking mad and there are people in the background with their mouths gaping and pointing and shaming them?  They really take the best pictures when they;re breaking the rules. 

I get the theory behind this though.  You don't want those pictures to leak "Hey look, at Company X they just do whatever!"

Edited by magenta_majors, 18 December 2014 - 12:25 PM.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:44 PM

Always read it over... if it sounds forced, psychotic, or robotic... revise  :shades:  (Don't put: "I'll stab you if I see you walk in without washing your hands" even if you really feel that way  :roflmao: )

I'm more likely to say "I'll chop off your bits if I catch you not washing your hands, that way you can't get them dirty!!

Caz x

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:50 PM

I'd also have a photograph of that nice big diamond that Richard bought Liz (69 carats!) and say

"If your diamond can compare to this, then you can wear it in our facility, as I doubt that anyone will complain if they find it in their food.

If its smaller, then forget it, take it off, hand it over for us to look after for you.

In fact, just hand it over, we can lose it for you!"

Caz x

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users