• 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:34 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm new to ifsqn.

I'm currently working at a confectionery industry. We mostly package finished products (eg. gummy, mints, lollipops) but there are some products that we manufacture (e.g: chocolate peanuts, chocolate raisins, solid or hollow event chocolate).

We are actually trying to get SQF certified and then GFSI certified.

Let's just say, there is a lot of work to do at developping & implementing standards.

I was wondering, is there anyone around here that work in the confectionery industry that can give me some insight on food safety?

We only have 1 CCP which is the metal detector at the packaging line.

I would say, there could be a second CCP for the recycling product but I'm not quite sure how to monitor.

I have wrote a couple of "manuals" for food safety. I have been searching and reading a lot on the internet, hence several preliminary food safety manual.

I would be glad for me to upload the documents that I have created, if any one is interested at taking a look and giving some feedback.

Thanks!

n.b: it is not my intention to have posted this tread in the wrong section. I think this is the best fit. Otherwise, let me know how to transfer this tread to the correct section.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:36 PM

:welcome: to IFSQN!

SQF is a GFSI certified food safety scheme so if you attain SQF certification then you will be GFSI certified :doctor:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for your welcome...

Well yes, SQF certification = GFSI certification

That I know...

I'm actually trying to develop and implement standards to attain SQF certification.

Just hoping to get some insight how is the food safety in confectionery industry.

Right now, I'm more doing Quality control vs. Food safety control

Routine work right now is just going to each station (2 packaging line) and verifying that the prints, seals and UPC are scanning well.

As for receiving products, I have actually never caught on an actual delivery where I can inspect the products.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,608 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:29 PM

You don't have to DO it all, you can train your warehouse personnel to inspect trailers, product, etc upon arrival. You receive the paperwork and track it that way.

You actually can move most of your previously written manuals over to the SQF format, with a bit of research on the SQF site.

-Setanta         

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:52 PM

SQF is a GFSI certified food safety scheme

Well yes, SQF certification = GFSI certification

Get your GFSI certification with IFS standards

Which of the above statements are not correct ?

NC Jackpot. :thumbup:

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - @ peipei - Welcome to the forum ! :welcome:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:53 PM

Well...

the previous manual are no good. it's mainly just GMP (hair nets, clothing, gloves, jewelry, lateness, sickness)

There are no SOP (cleaning, receiving, shipping, storage...)

I could upload the manuals that I have if you want to take a look at it.

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:56 PM

Which of the above statements are not correct ?

NC Jackpot. :thumbup:

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - @ peipei - Welcome to the forum ! :welcome:

I don't mean that SQF certification = GFSI certification

I'm just trying to say that by getting SQF certification, then you'll get GFSI certification as GFSI recognize SQF

I guess my mathematical way of explaining it is not right.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,608 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:58 PM

Well...

the previous manual are no good. it's mainly just GMP (hair nets, clothing, gloves, jewelry, lateness, sickness)
There are no SOP (cleaning, receiving, shipping, storage...)

I could upload the manuals that I have if you want to take a look at it.

I don't think that's necessary. You will need to figure out what you need based on your product and process. I would suggest an SQF Practitioner class. (you'll need certification anyway)

-Setanta         

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:22 PM

I don't mean that SQF certification = GFSI certification

I'm just trying to say that by getting SQF certification, then you'll get GFSI certification as GFSI recognize SQF

I guess my mathematical way of explaining it is not right.

Dear peipei,

The problem is that GFSI do not offer Certifications. Period.

No Truth in Advertising. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:45 PM

Well... I guess my boss has a bad way of explaining things... always telling me that we are going to get GFSI certified.

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:51 PM

I went to a 3 day class on "how to meet the SQF requirements".

Based on these informations, I don't think my boss is going to tell me to go to a Practitioner class. It's going to be more read the SQF manual and do the online test...

The SQF requirements are quite straight forward... once everything is implemented, document, correct actions and review effectiveness.

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:10 PM

Dear peipei,

The problem is that GFSI do not offer Certifications. Period.

No Truth in Advertising. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Sweet new peipei,
I think the problem is that our dearest and beloved Charles (love you Charlie) operates with a high level of semantic argument and the phrase "GFSI Certification" is his personal pet peeve. We all understood that you meant "SQF levels two and three are  GFSI recognized schemes" .  You boss is using short hand, because saying "Getting certified that we comply with one of the many food safety schemes, most likely SQF, which is a scheme recognized by GFSI" takes longer than "GFSI certified"

To answer your original question - how to go about setting up documentation to move to SQF -

I'd say do a GAP analysis.  SQF has a checklist on their site - go through the checklist and see which programs you have in place, and which programs you need.  Then begin implementing them.  When you are having trouble with a specific question or standard, you can post a question about that topic.   It looks like you're looking at CCPs right now?

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:59 PM

Sweet new peipei,
I think the problem is that our dearest and beloved Charles (love you Charlie) operates with a high level of semantic argument and the phrase "GFSI Certification" is his personal pet peeve. We all understood that you meant "SQF levels two and three are  GFSI recognized schemes" .  You boss is using short hand, because saying "Getting certified that we comply with one of the many food safety schemes, most likely SQF, which is a scheme recognized by GFSI" takes longer than "GFSI certified"

To answer your original question - how to go about setting up documentation to move to SQF -

I'd say do a GAP analysis.  SQF has a checklist on their site - go through the checklist and see which programs you have in place, and which programs you need.  Then begin implementing them.  When you are having trouble with a specific question or standard, you can post a question about that topic.   It looks like you're looking at CCPs right now?

correct...

Like I said, we mainly re-package finished product so we technically add a metal detector on the packaging line.

We also manufacture our own chocolate. At that stage, there is no CCP. It's basically, liquid chocolate falling into moulds going through a fridge and then un-moulding them.

The chocolate that don't look nice or even broken are actually removed to be recycled. I would actually say that this could be a CCP (potentially... it might not be). These recycle chocolate are usually re-used right away but there are occasions where it would be used at a later time (which is not identified or labelled).

If it is a CCP, then how am I suppose to monitor or even verify? It's not like I can stand watching them during their whole production making sure they are not picking up chocolate from the floor and putting it into the recycle bin.

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:00 PM

Oh and I'm also working on Food Safety Manual as well all SOP

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:41 PM

correct...

Like I said, we mainly re-package finished product so we technically add a metal detector on the packaging line.

We also manufacture our own chocolate. At that stage, there is no CCP. It's basically, liquid chocolate falling into moulds going through a fridge and then un-moulding them.

The chocolate that don't look nice or even broken are actually removed to be recycled. I would actually say that this could be a CCP (potentially... it might not be). These recycle chocolate are usually re-used right away but there are occasions where it would be used at a later time (which is not identified or labelled).

If it is a CCP, then how am I suppose to monitor or even verify? It's not like I can stand watching them during their whole production making sure they are not picking up chocolate from the floor and putting it into the recycle bin.

Ah, I also work at a chocolate factory (hooray!  we're lucky :), so maybe we can clear it up -

I would say that chocolate that doesn't look nice isn't a food safety issue (Not a CCP or even a CP), it's a quality issue, so if you're going for SQF lvl 3, that would be a QCP.

But if you're concerned about remelt being tracked, you want to look at your PRP programs for rework and traceability.

Edited by magenta_majors, 20 February 2015 - 08:42 PM.

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:56 PM

Ah, I also work at a chocolate factory (hooray!  we're lucky :), so maybe we can clear it up -

I would say that chocolate that doesn't look nice isn't a food safety issue (Not a CCP or even a CP), it's a quality issue, so if you're going for SQF lvl 3, that would be a QCP.

But if you're concerned about remelt being tracked, you want to look at your PRP programs for rework and traceability.

Honestly, I'm not really concerned about the "look nice" of the chocolate. My boss actually is and we are only going for level 2. It's also a little confusing because he would again want production so at some occasion, there would be some not nice chocolate actually being packaged.

What is PRP program?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:11 PM

Well... I guess my boss has a bad way of explaining things... always telling me that we are going to get GFSI certified.

Dear peipei,

No problem. it'll probably be in the next edition of Websters.

@Magenta_m, thks for the, err, compliment.

PRP = Prerequisite program, one of many control programs mostly concerned with maintaining good hygienic conditions in the manufacturing area. very similar to GMP procedures.

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - it sounds like you woud be well-advised to have a look at some do-it-yourself HACCP texts (although a training course is preferable). There are a few downloadable volumes on this forum which i will shortly add links to in this post if i can find them .

http://www.ifsqn.com...indpost&p=33185

(Note that the 2-volume manual included is a generic HACCP approach so some aspects will not 100% match the SQF requirements but it has a well-explained section on PRPs and the general format will be similar to SQF)

PS - added - you will also find a lot of ready-made forms/SOPs (approx.20) in the zip file in this post -

http://www.ifsqn.com...indpost&p=84876

(note that this collection was designed for a packaging production line but approx. 75% of the forms are generic)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

herb b

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Things that go fast! Things that are complex. Food!

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:37 PM

Don't forget to take a hard look at allergens.  How will you control them to prevent contamination?  How will you verify that they aren't present. 

Too many recalls now due to failures of the process to prevent cross or inadvertent contamination.

I guess I am lucky in that we only make allergens and everything contains the same ingredients. 

There is some very good information on the National Candy Association website: http://www.candyusa.com They have education resources and sample HACCP plans for confectionary.

Good luck!

herb

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:45 PM

I guess I am lucky in that we only make allergens and everything contains the same ingredients. 

Yeah you are!  Are you hiring ? :roflmao:

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:36 PM

Don't forget to take a hard look at allergens.  How will you control them to prevent contamination?  How will you verify that they aren't present. 

Too many recalls now due to failures of the process to prevent cross or inadvertent contamination.

There is some very good information on the National Candy Association website: http://www.candyusa.com They have education resources and sample HACCP plans for confectionary.

Good luck!

herb

Can you actually give me the exact link to the resources?

I went to their website and I don't think I found examples for confectionery food safety

JKRed

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

Welcome peipei! I'm a newbie here (as well as being new to SQF in general) and also work at a Chocolate Factory. I would reiterate was someone else suggested earlier about performing a "Gap Audit" of sorts as I have found that it was EXTREMELY helpful for us (and for me personally too).

Hope that helps!

JKR

Swimming In An Alphabet Soup of SQF Acronyms, Code, & Clauses!

"You do SQF Level 2 because your customers demand it. You do SQF Level 3 for yourselves, because you see the value in improving your systems and extending the philosophy and practices in SQF to other aspects of your business, beyond Food Safety." Anonymous

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,608 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:14 PM

Based on these informations, I don't think my boss is going to tell me to go to a Practitioner class. It's going to be more read the SQF manual and do the online test...

If you are going to be SQF, you will need to have an SQF Practitioner on staff.  That person needs to be certified as such.  I have had to present my certification during the last two audits.

-Setanta         

CarrieK

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

You will certainly need to be a SQF Practitioner...that's a requirement. Also, you will need a backup practitioner - maybe your boss?

Make sure you have no other CCPs at your plant (i.e. pasteurizer, etc) - other than the metal detector.

My plant makes liquid and frozen egg products - we have 81 SOPs, 73 SSOPs, 2 CCPs in the HACCP plan and 40 QC documents (these are documents like allergen statements, validation program, etc. - They aren't really SOPs or SSOPs but still required).

As an example, your SOP should show: SOP#, Title (Breaking Room), Create Date, Revision Date; 1. Purpose (Breaking Operations), 2. Scope (Breaking Room), 3. Responsibilities (Breaking machine Operators, Production Supervisor, Breaking Room Floor Person), 4. Frequency (Continuous during production hours), 5. Procedure (List all procedures - Outline style), 6. Documentation (Weekly Plant Walk through, Pre-Op Inspection [basically every document that applies to verifying this SOP]), 7. Monitoring (who monitors - Like Breaking Room Floor Person, QC Supervisor), 8. Corrective Actions (If problems occur, contact supervisor. This is specific when you get to areas where there are CPs), 9. Verification (QC routine checks [or however you verify the procedures are followed in this SOP]).

I am sorry this is long winded. I know what it's like to create something from nothing with SQF. Luckily, I had the help of corporate who went through SQF in the shell egg plants - but never the breaking plants. If you would like examples, I can send you some.

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:24 PM

You will certainly need to be a SQF Practitioner...that's a requirement. Also, you will need a backup practitioner - maybe your boss?

Make sure you have no other CCPs at your plant (i.e. pasteurizer, etc) - other than the metal detector.

My plant makes liquid and frozen egg products - we have 81 SOPs, 73 SSOPs, 2 CCPs in the HACCP plan and 40 QC documents (these are documents like allergen statements, validation program, etc. - They aren't really SOPs or SSOPs but still required).

As an example, your SOP should show: SOP#, Title (Breaking Room), Create Date, Revision Date; 1. Purpose (Breaking Operations), 2. Scope (Breaking Room), 3. Responsibilities (Breaking machine Operators, Production Supervisor, Breaking Room Floor Person), 4. Frequency (Continuous during production hours), 5. Procedure (List all procedures - Outline style), 6. Documentation (Weekly Plant Walk through, Pre-Op Inspection [basically every document that applies to verifying this SOP]), 7. Monitoring (who monitors - Like Breaking Room Floor Person, QC Supervisor), 8. Corrective Actions (If problems occur, contact supervisor. This is specific when you get to areas where there are CPs), 9. Verification (QC routine checks [or however you verify the procedures are followed in this SOP]).

I am sorry this is long winded. I know what it's like to create something from nothing with SQF. Luckily, I had the help of corporate who went through SQF in the shell egg plants - but never the breaking plants. If you would like examples, I can send you some.

I'm pretty sure I will be the one getting the SQF practionner certificate as I am the ONLY one doing the QC/QA in the whole facility... I mean like verifying everything...

I'm actually working on the SOPs as much as I can as I don't understand how the machine works.

Actually, the other issue right now is that actually no one really follow any instructions. 

Welcome peipei! I'm a newbie here (as well as being new to SQF in general) and also work at a Chocolate Factory. I would reiterate was someone else suggested earlier about performing a "Gap Audit" of sorts as I have found that it was EXTREMELY helpful for us (and for me personally too).

Hope that helps!

JKR

Actually, I did do something like a certain self audit... It actually doesn't really look that bad.. but in terms of documentations it's all messed up...

You mentionned that you work in a chocolate factory... what are your CCPs and what do you do to ensure safe food?

I mean like cleaning/removing chocolate is really time consuming and all...

herb b

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Things that go fast! Things that are complex. Food!

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:09 PM

Hmmm, Sorry, I guess you have to be a member of the NCA to access the specific information and HACCP plan examples.

You could give them a call and see if they will send you some information.

http://www.candyusa....ItemNumber=4687

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users