• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:12 PM

Hi There, 

I am looking for some information regarding the clause 3.1.3 in issue 7 of the global standard and I was hoping someone would be able to help.

The company I have been employed by (a Chinese company producing dumplings in Scotland) have very little understanding of English and written English. I have been chucked into the deep end as I am the only person who speaks fluent English in the company and they want me to have a go at implementing the things that were brought up in the GAP analysis.

I have no experience whatsoever in the field of health and safety but I am slowly getting my head around it all. To make matters worse, they have put a deadline of July for me to have it finished and dedicated me to this 9-5, 5 days a week.

I am breaking it down piece by piece and the IFSQN forums have been a lifesaver!! 

I have a lot of info gathered and I am trying to piece it all together in the section overviews. 

I decided to start on section 3. Already on section 3.1.3 I am stuck.

In the GAP analysis, It says:

G / O

All procedures and work instructions shall be clearly legible, unambiguous, in appropriate languages and sufficiently detailed to enable their correct application by appropriate staff. This shall include the use of photographs, diagrams or other pictorial instructions where written communication alone is not sufficient (e.g. there are issues of literacy or foreign language. 

Pictorial instructions where staff do not understand the language?

How could I go about implementing this?

We have 4 Chinese people and a Polish person all working on the factory floor with no or very little understanding of english. The factory manager is Hungarian and understands English and fills out all of the daily/weekly/monthly checks etc. 

Sorry for the long message  :glare:

If anyone could help at all, I would really appreciate it  :biggrin:

Many Thanks 

Kerri-Anne

Thanked by 1 Member:

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,417 posts
  • 1002 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:19 PM

The Issue 7 Interpretation Guidelines have this to say:

"Procedures and work instructions must be documented in a clear and unambiguous format.

Anyone using an authorised document must be able to understand its relevance, what the document
is for and how to use it. Evidence is required to demonstrate clear understanding of procedures by
staff as this will be challenged by the auditor.

Consideration may be given to providing procedures in appropriate languages, either written or oral, to
ensure staff understand the documents and their role. Where translations are used, a record should be
kept of who translated the information into which language(s). Both translator and recipient staff should
sign the training record indicating that the translated version has been understood.

Documentation must include the use of photographs, diagrams or other pictorial instructions where
written communication alone is not sufficient. For example, diagrams added to cleaning instructions
can give clarity on pieces of equipment to remove or focus on. Signs and pictures can be particularly
useful for communicating personal hygiene and protective clothing requirements."

It sounds to me as though you might need some translation services.

Marshall

Thanked by 2 Members:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,249 posts
  • 1298 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 03:27 PM

Hi There, 

I am looking for some information regarding the clause 3.1.3 in issue 7 of the global standard and I was hoping someone would be able to help.

G / O

All procedures and work instructions shall be clearly legible, unambiguous, in appropriate languages and sufficiently detailed to enable their correct application by appropriate staff. This shall include the use of photographs, diagrams or other pictorial instructions where written communication alone is not sufficient (e.g. there are issues of literacy or foreign language. 

Pictorial instructions where staff do not understand the language?

Many Thanks 

Kerri-Anne

Hi Kerri-Anne,

Generally pictures are to aid understanding not as a substitution for translation, as Marshall has said:

The Issue 7 Interpretation Guidelines have this to say: .............

It sounds to me as though you might need some translation services.

Marshall

I am in agreement, you will need translations of relevant documents/procedures and records in Chinese and Polish. Also when you come to Training (7.1.3) the delivery of training should be in the appropriate language of trainees.

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

gfdoucette07

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 112 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food safety, QA, sharing my knowledge. Farming, growing, life

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:37 PM

In a previous life I worked for a poultry processing plant with 300 team members just on the night shift.  My line was 70 people with 10 different languages.  Somali, spanish, Vietnimese, Chinese, Laocian, Aromo, Maylasin, Thai, Karen and Burmese.  We used a compnay called Language Line Solutions and I see they have a UK division.  Thier website says offers packages of minutes, on sight visits, video chat. and pay as you go programs ($3.95/min US).  I would use this services daily and within 1 min you can have a language of your choice up or set up specific meeting times in advance.  We did not have SOPs or work instructions in any language but english but did EXTENSIVE training with pictures, repetitve hands on training and in house interpetors. 

I completly understand your pickle, best of luck

G

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,249 posts
  • 1298 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:12 PM

In a previous life I worked for a poultry processing plant with 300 team members just on the night shift.  My line was 70 people with 10 different languages.  Somali, spanish, Vietnimese, Chinese, Laocian, Aromo, Maylasin, Thai, Karen and Burmese.  We used a compnay called Language Line Solutions and I see they have a UK division.  Thier website says offers packages of minutes, on sight visits, video chat. and pay as you go programs ($3.95/min US).  I would use this services daily and within 1 min you can have a language of your choice up or set up specific meeting times in advance.  We did not have SOPs or work instructions in any language but english but did EXTENSIVE training with pictures, repetitve hands on training and in house interpetors. 

I completly understand your pickle, best of luck

G

G, Thank you for your post, to clarify, did you achieve BRC certification based on this?

Regards,

Tony

gfdoucette07

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 112 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food safety, QA, sharing my knowledge. Farming, growing, life

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:06 PM

Not BRC but SQF level 3

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:21 PM

Let us all hope that Kerri-Anne has a budget.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Kerri-Anne1

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:06 AM

Thanks guys!!

I have looked into language line, This and hiring a Polish translator when needed.

My boss speaks both Chinese and English so the Chinese translation side is ok.

I don't think the owners really thought about what they were taking on trying to achieve a BRC Global standard.

Thanks for the help, I'm sure I will have lots more questions in the coming weeks/months!!

Kerri-Anne :)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:00 AM

Thanks guys!!

I have looked into language line, This and hiring a Polish translator when needed.

My boss speaks both Chinese and English so the Chinese translation side is ok.

I don't think the owners really thought about what they were taking on trying to achieve a BRC Global standard.

Thanks for the help, I'm sure I will have lots more questions in the coming weeks/months!!

Kerri-Anne :)

I hope yr boss understands Technical English !

Good Luck !

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

WACIRU

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:10 PM

Consider finding the written instruction translated into the languages of the people who work around it. also consider use of pictures and signs such as 'No Smoking' signs where a cigarette is crossed to signal the same.

Basically make sure the instructions are clearly understood by the relevant staff in whatever means.

All tthe best in this.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users