• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:27 PM

Hi,

I wanted to know if someone can better explain to me why whole milk, milk whose fat is not reduced, costs slightly more than the partially skimmed and skimmed versions.

I know the dairy industry needs milk's cream to produce butter.

Thanks!

brianweber

Brian

• IFSQN Senior
  • 293 posts
  • 114 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cheese, Coffee, Golf, Scrabble, Food Safety, HACCP, BBQing

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:15 PM

Regardless of whether milk is whole, 2, 1, or skim, the fat is removed before pasteurization and homogenization. The fat is then added back in according to the type of milk desired. The reason it costs more is because the fat would normally go towards making butter or cheese but is instead added back to the milk.

Brian

Thanked by 2 Members:

AntonellaTromba

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:04 PM

Thanks, brianweber!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Kelly S

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 36 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Sci Fi Geek, Book Lover, Chef-in-my-own-kitchen, Eclectic Music Collector

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:51 PM

Just to throw a spanner in the works (I apologise) in Australia it's usually the skimmed milks that cost more, not the full fat milks. I always reasoned it was to do with testing to ensure the milks were at the correct fat levels as the cream needs to be added before homoginisation occurs. Maybe it's just crappy Australian pricing  :gleam:

“Will this be on the test?" "Yeah, about the test. The test will measure whether you are an informed, engaged, and productive citizen of the world, and it will take place in schools and bars and hospitals and dorm rooms and in places of worship. You will be tested on first dates, in job interviews, while watching football, and while scrolling through your Twitter feed. The test will judge your ability to think about things other than celebrity marriages, whether you’ll be easily persuaded by empty political rhetoric, and whether you’ll be able to place your life and your community in a broader context. The test will last your entire life, and it will be comprised of the millions of decisions, that when taken together, make your life yours. And everything — EVERYTHING — will be on it.”

-  John Green

Thanked by 1 Member:

AntonellaTromba

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:08 PM

Just to throw a spanner in the works (I apologise) in Australia it's usually the skimmed milks that cost more, not the full fat milks. I always reasoned it was to do with testing to ensure the milks were at the correct fat levels as the cream needs to be added before homoginisation occurs. Maybe it's just crappy Australian pricing  :gleam:

Thanks. I will investigate better.

Ian R

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:29 AM

More spanners

there is the effect of supply and demand

Cows, bless their little cotton socks, will only ever product whole milk.

If there is significant demand for skimmed milk then butter fat is in surplus and its price drops

If there is demand for fat, then the skimmed milk price drops

Both of these then affect the price of whole milk

Depending on where the demand is within the dairy industry the price of the various components reflects this.

rgds

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users