• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

hello all,

I want to get some direction on what to do in this case.

We have two suppliers for finished product packaging.  Both are only distributing product packaging and are not the actual manufacturers. 

As part of the SQF Level 2 program, we have to audit our supplier, in which case we send them a questionnaire covering safety and regulatory compliance.

Well, we sent the questionnaire and it was returned back with very little of the information filled.  For most of the items they put n/a, since they're not the manufacturer.

Have you had similar issue before?  What do you do in this case?  I'm quite sure this won't fly during our next audit.

Thanks

brianweber

Brian

• IFSQN Senior
  • 293 posts
  • 114 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cheese, Coffee, Golf, Scrabble, Food Safety, HACCP, BBQing

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:59 PM

So you make the packaging from their materials. Am I reading that correctly? And you do not package any food product. I was in the same boat if this is the case. I would call them and walk them through the survey. Chances are very good that they do everything you need them to do, but refer to it in a non audit way terminology. I had one place that didn't understand what I meant by GMP's, but explained it to them and she said yes, they have rules. So my advice would be to call them.

Brian

Thanked by 2 Members:

ncorliss

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 63 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:01 PM

Brian has a good suggestion. If they are just a distributor, they may pass along the survey to their source of the actual materials. Depending on the material type, the manufacturer may have CFR compliance statements available to put in the suppliers file. I would recommend adding the suppliers to your HACCP plan with your assurances the product is safe. This may include your own independent testing of the product.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users