• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:20 PM

Hi guys

can anyone shed any light as to what symptoms we should be making aware to staff? version 7 now states that the site shall make staff aware of the symptoms of infection, disease and conditions which would prevent them from working in open food.

Previously we have just asked if they have ben suffering from vomiting or diarrhoea (food poisoning symptoms). I am struggling with what type of symptoms you would state for disease, infection or condition?

any help is appreciated

many thanks

W

dv8dawn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• Kuwait
    Kuwait

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:44 PM

Employee Medical Screening Questionnaire

1.    Have you now, or have you over the last seven days,

Suffered from diarrhea and/ or vomiting?                                     YES / NO

2.    At present, are you suffering from?

i)        Skin trouble affecting hands, arms or face?                    YES / NO

ii)        Boils, styes or septic fingers                                            YES / NO

iii)       Discharge from eye, ear or gums / mouth                       YES / NO

3.    Do you suffer from?                                                      

i)         Recurring skin or ear trouble                                           YES / NO

ii)        A recurring bowel disorder                                               YES / NO

4.    Have you ever had, or are you now known to be

A carrier of typhoid or paratyphoid                                                  YES / NO

5.    In the last 21 days have you been in contact with                                 anyone at home or abroad, who may have been,

Suffering from typhoid or paratyphoid                                            YES / NO

Name: ………………………………………….

Sign: ………………………………………….

Date: …………………………………………..

Checked by: ………………………………….

Thanked by 3 Members:

Cristina L

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Romania
    Romania

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:01 AM

Dear Dv8dawn,

Please help understand, you  use and fil the Employee Medical Screening Questionnaire presented  for every person before starting work or only for visitators and contactors? 

Many thanks.

Whitney

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:35 PM

great thank you!

dv8dawn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• Kuwait
    Kuwait

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:17 AM

Hi Cris,

As the name indicates, it’s meant for employees only.

We use this form only for new joiners or if an employee resumes duty from vacation.

However, we do have a separate format for visitors and contracts especially when they enter food production area.

Should you require, please let me know. :spoton:

Dv8.

balcin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Turkey
    Turkey

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:56 PM

I use the add form for each visitors.

balcin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Turkey
    Turkey

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:58 PM

I use add the form for each visitors.

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

Urban Explorer

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 86 posts
  • 51 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:29 PM

The topic is vague at best, and implies that all staff should be aware of what diseases to look for in their co-workers and themselves.  Waiting until they return from vacation or only visitors will never reach all involved.  Shouldn't it be an annual refresher, in addition to GMPs?

Our policy states:

1.  Hepatitis A. virus                                     fever, jaundice

2.  Salmonella typhi                                     fever

3.  Shigella species                                     diarrhea, fever, vomiting

4.  Norwalk and Norwalk-like viruses       diarrhea, fever, vomiting

5.  Staphylococcus aureus                         diarrhea, vomiting

Since most of our employees directly contact RTE food.

Well, I should clarify this is how we are interpreting it and doing a training session before our audit.  Right now they just know "wounds and vomiting"

Thanked by 2 Members:

DavidAR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 116 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:01 AM

The topic is vague at best, and implies that all staff should be aware of what diseases to look for in their co-workers and themselves.  Waiting until they return from vacation or only visitors will never reach all involved.  Shouldn't it be an annual refresher, in addition to GMPs?

Our policy states:

3.  Shigella species                                     diarrhea, fever, vomiting

Well, I should clarify this is how we are interpreting it and doing a training session before our audit.  Right now they just know "wounds and vomiting"

Like the specifics of this :)

The clause is for both staff and contractors / visitors, the key point about the changes in V7 is the Onus is not the EMPLOYEE to report symptoms as apposed to the EMPLOYER in V6.

Way im going to do it (because were low care) is simply ask similar questions above, and where any question is answer yes, risk asses that at the time. (for new employees / visitors/ contractors)

For staff already inducted and routinely working, a procedure will define the requirements to report issues (tested by observing if anyone exhibits illness and quizing as appropriate, in addtion to trying to ensure they comply)

Made extremely difficult in this day and age where many companies do not have a descent sick pay policy meaning people come to work ill because they have to!

BRC need to consider that problem and although technically could be covered in Section 1 i would like to see something concrete in this section!

Thanked by 1 Member:

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, cycling, writing, camping, knitting, movies, music, family + pets, trying to play the guitar

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:28 PM

Our policy states:

Sue Ellen,

In the US, how are you getting this to work and employees are okay with this with regard to HIPAA? 

Thank you!

~Emily~

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the darkest of places if you look at it right. -Grateful Dead

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:54 PM

Hi Emily,

I'm not in USA but several previous threads have demonstrated that there are significant privacy issues in USA. (and some in UK also).

Maybe that's what HIPAA means ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, cycling, writing, camping, knitting, movies, music, family + pets, trying to play the guitar

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:39 PM

Hi Emily,

I'm not in USA but several previous threads have demonstrated that there are significant privacy issues in USA. (and some in UK also).

Maybe that's what HIPAA means ?

Hi Charles,

Yes, HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) here in the US is what limits the amount of information that can be asked of an employee by an employer. That's why I was wondering how Sue Ellen was obtaining her info. Perhaps she/her company is simply asking that employees be conscientious and observant about themselves and their coworkers. Not sure how you would address illness with an employee who simply looks sick.

Distantly related, I was pregnant at my last job but didn't know it until I was about 7-1/2 months along. EVERYBODY but me thought I was pregnant and my boss approached the HR manager to see if they could ask me about it and she gave a resounding NO. You just can't talk to employees about health issues unless they volunteer it was her interpretation of the privacy related to HIPAA and has been my experience for many years now.

It's a tough one to balance employee privacy laws with food safety disclosures.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the darkest of places if you look at it right. -Grateful Dead

Urban Explorer

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 86 posts
  • 51 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:02 PM

Sue Ellen,

In the US, how are you getting this to work and employees are okay with this with regard to HIPAA? 

Thank you!

~Emily~

The mentioned diseases are all foodborne illnesses. The way it should be worded is "if you are showing any of these symptoms common to these illnesses, then you cannot work around food.". No exceptions. It's stated in Good Manufacturing Practices that employees cannot work while ill (which is federal law).  As a supervisor or manager you should be aware of these things in your people. You do have the right and obligation to ask if someone is feeling okay if they look ill because it jeopardizes your products.  They don't have to disclose what illness they actually have for short term. 

If you've ever looked into FMLA, you can't simply say "oh I'm not feeling well and I'm not telling you why, but I need 6 months off".  HIPAA scares a lot of companies because they don't do enough research.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users