• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:44 PM

Hello all,

I am working on a project and I need to compare the two standards IFS and FSSC 22000 and decide which one to use. The food company's main product is the quinoa. 

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Giannis

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:58 PM

You would be better off to compare IFS with SQF or BRC and not with an FSSC 22000 which is heavily based on ISO.

Glenn Oster

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

giannisz

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:40 AM

Dear Glenn Oster,

Thank you for your reply. Could you please explain why, by being heavily based on ISO 22000, makes FSSC 22000 not relevant for the comparison ?

Thank you in advance. 

Kind regards,

Giannis Zois 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:08 AM

Hi Giannis,

I suggest it's because ISO22000 is generic whereas  IFS is (relatively) prescriptive. 

FSSC22000 had a prescriptive  Prerequisite element superimposed via iso 22002 but other than that it remains "ISO-type" ?. 

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

giannisz

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:29 AM

Dear Charles C.,

Thank you for your reply!

Kind regards,

Giannis Zois

giannisz

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:25 AM

Hello!

I would like to ask if the IFS cover any part of the ISO 22000.  For example if a company is certified for IFS and wants to be certified also for FSSC 22000, does it need to start from the beginning and firstly go for ISO 22000 or any part of it is already covered from the IFS certification that was already done???

Kind regards,

Giannis Zois

FSQNNow

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:48 PM

I am a bit surprised about the FSSC 22000 comment. FSSC 22000, like BRC, IFS and SQF, are the major standards within the GFSI (Global Food Safety Initiative) http://www.mygfsi.co...ed-schemes.html

It has now also the prescriptive elements in ISO 22002 addition. It is not the biggest GFSI standard (BRC is), but it is the fastest growing one. So from that perspective a choice to consider.

You describe that your business is quinoa. However you do not write if you are making consumer product or products being sold business to business. If you are growing the guinoa you should also even consider the Global G.A.P. standard.

For business to business you see more and more a choice for FSSC 22000. This is because the other 3 standards are generally more active in the business to consumer area.

Make sure you also check with your customer what  certification requirement or expectations they have. (for that reason you often see a combined BRC/IFS when they are producing private label for retailers)

Also pay attention to the certification body that you are going to choose. They actually come and audit you against the standard you choose and that is where you are going to have the relationship. You can also invite them for an orientation visit and get their view on suitability of standard.

Good luck with your choice.

giannisz

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:09 PM

Dear FSQNNow,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Well, as the company I am working is a startup company, it is not clear yet which will be the customers. However I will definitely consider everything you said to choose the most suitable standard.

Kind regards,

Giannis Zois

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users