Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:58 PM

We order a chemical that comes in 1 gallon jugs (4 jugs to a box). We have always ordered this chemical from this same company (for years).

I noticed on this shipment there was no batch number listed on the box nor on the jugs themselves.

I contacted the chemical representative who stated "Under new GHS guidelines, we are not required to have the number on the jugs as long as the box and pick slip have the batch number. The pick slip that was provided with the box is the official number and we also add a small white label to the box with the number but looking at the box it was probably demolished in transit." (Remember, there was nothing on the box or the jugs).

We ALL know it's best practice to have the batch number on the individual containers (jugs in this case), rather than on the box (and on the pick slip) they were shipped in. How do I know the jugs inside the box are actually the same lot as what is listed on the outside of the box or on the pick slip? How do I know what the lot number is when the small sticker comes off during transit?

Does any one know a specific code in SQF that states the batch number should be on the individual container?

Does anyone have any input either way on this?

Of course I want each jug labeled - as a good manufacturing practice - but if SQF does not state it specifically (or in a way that I would get hit on it) then I can't argue with the chemical company like I want to. (!!!!!)

Thanks!

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, cycling, writing, camping, knitting, movies, music, family + pets, trying to play the guitar

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:38 PM

Hi CarrieK,

Member MWidra here will almost certainly be able to speak knowledgeably and eloquently on this topic.

For now, I can offer this link and this link, both direct from OSHA.

My understanding from safety training at previous employers is that the individual containers are supposed to be marked because how else are you supposed to know once you discard the box?

Good luck - I look forward to finding out how you resolve this.

~Emily~

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the darkest of places if you look at it right. -Grateful Dead

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:24 PM

no specific SQF code, however there is a requirement for inventory control on chemicals.

Virtually all of our client have their own internal coding systems for everything coming in the door including chemicals, etc.

Your chemical company is laming you, you just need to tell them what to do instead of them telling you what they are doing in this area.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:24 PM

Dear CarrieK,

as with all other raw materials, we accept only goods (e.g. packaging, lubricants, chemicals etc.) which are traceable. This can be done in different ways. If coding is used we want to have the "Decoding advise".

Rgds

moskito

Mulan1010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 249 posts
  • 139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:19 PM

If you are under SQF then you should have agreed to specifications for the products you purchase.  See if this requirement is in the specifications.  If it is,then they should meet the spec or be subjected to rejection of their product.  If the requirement is not in the spec, then add it, let the supplier know of the new requirement and come to an agreement. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users