• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:40 PM

hello,

Maybe this has been discussed, but i was not successful when searching.

I am the quality assurance tech for a bakery. (cheesecakes,muffins,cakes,etc) We are trying to be sqf level 2, but this seems so complicated. anyway, we manufacture for many companies that require their labels. We do, process our own products, but most of them are for someone else. 

My question is: do we list them under our scope of certification? are there any special requirements for private labels?

any help would be appreciated. Also, any sources i should be looking at to get more familiar with sqf? (currently use the sqf guidance, ifsqn)

I just feel a bit lost, like if im not understanding most sections. maybe im the only one feeling like this.

Thank you in advance

Dr Vu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 235 posts
  • 51 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Action movies...

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:29 PM

Scope is generally not related to brand but to products. .check the SQFI food sector categories..(you are probably in 13)...and then the products you make or package eg category 13:cheesecakes,muffins,cookies,shortbread,. The private labels will feature in any one of your programmes or procedures like recall..traceability..label approval..etc.

A vu in time , saves nine

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:13 AM

Scope is generally not related to brand but to products. .check the SQFI food sector categories..(you are probably in 13)...and then the products you make or package eg category 13:cheesecakes,muffins,cookies,shortbread,. The private labels will feature in any one of your programmes or procedures like recall..traceability..label approval..etc.

Hi Dr Vu,

Thks for above.

I'm curious regarding a follow up thought - Suppose you wish to exclude a specific brand from the scope of Certification. Possible ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

teaks

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 34 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

If you are going to the trouble of SQF, and all your procedures are the same, I would think it would be to your company's benefit to cover as many products - yours or PL - with a certification.

I, too, am gearing up, and trying to stay positive and not feel overwhelmed.  

Good luck!

herdy

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:29 PM

From sqfi website: Scope of Certification outlines the Food Sector Categories and those Products to be covered by the
Certificate of Registration.

I would say that if you were to not include those products into your scope and those clients asked for your SQF certification level, you would have to say that you were not SQF certified at all on those products (if you are allowed to separate products like that at all). When we have "custom" products, we include those in out scope of certification but just keep their labels in a separate "custom" spot within our label registry. I am not sure if that is really what you are asking but I hope that helps!

Thanked by 1 Member:

brnd.pnd

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:14 PM

Thank You very much. I will include all the labels (products)in our SQF certification. thanks for your help 

Mulan1010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 249 posts
  • 139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:53 PM

My understanding is if you want to leave something out of your scope then you would have to contact your SQF Certification Body and request the exception.  Also, if you are co-packing for other companies there is a specific section in the SQF Code that you must ensure you meet to include a signed agreement and specifications. - Good Luck on your initial audit.  I have found being SQF Certified to be a great assistance in our strive for continuous improvement.

Dr Vu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 235 posts
  • 51 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Action movies...

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:17 AM

Hi Dr Vu,

Thks for above.

I'm curious regarding a follow up thought - Suppose you wish to exclude a specific brand from the scope of Certification. Possible ?

Hi Charles..I think because its based on what you pack..it might be a tall order as you will need to exclude the product you are packing for them ..and for that SQF will need justification on the exclusion.

A vu in time , saves nine

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users