• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:29 PM

Hello Guys,

i have a couple questions and hopefully someone can help me.

1. i. A risk analysis of those raw materials, ingredients and processing aids, including food grade lubricants, that contain allergens; 

- i have the matrix (likelyhood/severity) part of it, but how do i start? can someone give me an example? lets say for a milk allergen, do i look for all the milk ingredients? see all customer complaints linked to a milk allergen? (im not sure)

2. viii. Based on RISK ASSESSMENT, procedures for verification of the effectiveness of the cleaning and sanitation of areas and equipment in which allergens are used shall be effectively implemented. 

- what is a risk assessment?

- difference between risk analysis and risk assessment?

i hope someone can help me and explain this to me. i would greatly appreciate it!

-brenda

about our company: retail company, produce bakery items (muffins, cheesecakes, cakes)

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:59 AM

Hello Guys,

i have a couple questions and hopefully someone can help me.

1. i. A risk analysis of those raw materials, ingredients and processing aids, including food grade lubricants, that contain allergens; 

- i have the matrix (likelyhood/severity) part of it, but how do i start? can someone give me an example? lets say for a milk allergen, do i look for all the milk ingredients? see all customer complaints linked to a milk allergen? (im not sure)

2. viii. Based on RISK ASSESSMENT, procedures for verification of the effectiveness of the cleaning and sanitation of areas and equipment in which allergens are used shall be effectively implemented. 

- what is a risk assessment?

- difference between risk analysis and risk assessment?

i hope someone can help me and explain this to me. i would greatly appreciate it!

-brenda

about our company: retail company, produce bakery items (muffins, cheesecakes, cakes)

Hi Brenda,

These are topics of quite wide scope.

Please specify which SQF paragraphs you are referring to ?.

I guess you are aware that SQF offer free "guidance" manuals ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:21 AM

Hi Brenda,

From SQF Guidance:

Appendix 1: Allergen Cleaning and Sanitation Guide

2.8.2.1.i. The allergen management program shall include a risk analysis of those raw materials, ingredients and processing aids, including food grade lubricants that contain allergens
A documented risk (hazard) analysis of all the ingredients, raw materials and processing aids that are used in the facility shall be conducted.
Each facility must know the intentional and cross-contact allergens that could occur, and the potential risk of occurrence. This includes ensuring suppliers of materials, ingredients, and processing aids (including food-grade lubricants) declare any allergenic substances in the materials they are supplying, including the potential for cross-contact allergens.
This not only applies to ingredients used in a particular finished product, but those used throughout the facility. The risk assessment must also apply to potential allergens in materials and products that are stored or produced on other lines in the same facility, or at other times on the same line. For example, a confectionery manufacturer may produce a number of product lines, but only one contains peanuts. The risk assessment must include the potential for peanut allergens to contaminate non-peanut products.

2.8.2.1.viii. Based on risk assessment, procedures for validation and verification of the effectiveness of the cleaning and sanitation of areas and equipment in which allergens are used shall be effectively implemented.
Cleaning and sanitation procedures on lines producing allergenic and non-allergenic products must be effective and validated.
Effectively documented, implemented and validated cleaning procedures are essential to avoid cross-contact allergens transferring across products. This is discussed in greater detail in section 2.

So you will need to look at ingredients to confirm their allergen status (contains/may contain/absent) and then at potential for cross contamination in your operation.

Any risks need to be managed.

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:07 AM

Hi brenda,

If it is 2.8.2.1.i, you may find this thread of additional interest -

http://www.ifsqn.com...-for-allergens/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

brnd.pnd

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:58 PM

thank you guys! im so lost in all of this. i appreciate the clarification

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:44 PM

thank you guys! im so lost in all of this. i appreciate the clarification

Hi Brenda,

Don't worry, you are clearly not alone.

One basic complication is that there are so many alternative viewpoints on what constitutes validation / verification.

A second one appears to be that for this particular topic  SQF do not always quite "do what they say".

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users