• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:50 AM

Hello, you marvelous bunch of experts!

As mentioned in other posts: I'm not an expert on food safety, but repeatedly get dragged into it. It is not my primary function, but I provide assistance on some of the documents and research. 

We have our ISO 22000 audit next month. My main concern here is the flow diagrams and floor plans. I've attached the Process Flow Diagram that I've put together so far. How does it stand? Any recommended adjustments or changes? Feedback would be MOST appreciated. Special thanks to Tony C. The notes here were quite helpful! 

Originally, our Health and Safety Officer had said we need to draw this sort of thing over our floor plan, but I find arrows running all over the place on an already busy floor plan (especially since we have two stories to our factory) make it very confusing. Is a separate diagram like this acceptable?

Lastly. I will be starting work on our staff flow diagram. Can it be in a similar form to this? Or does it have to be drawn and indicated over the floor plan? (Please tell me it doesn't!)

Kind regards,

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:04 PM

Hello, you marvelous bunch of experts!

As mentioned in other posts: I'm not an expert on food safety, but repeatedly get dragged into it. It is not my primary function, but I provide assistance on some of the documents and research. 

We have our ISO 22000 audit next month. My main concern here is the flow diagrams and floor plans. I've attached the Process Flow Diagram that I've put together so far. How does it stand? Any recommended adjustments or changes? Feedback would be MOST appreciated. Special thanks to Tony C. The notes here were quite helpful! 

Originally, our Health and Safety Officer had said we need to draw this sort of thing over our floor plan, but I find arrows running all over the place on an already busy floor plan (especially since we have two stories to our factory) make it very confusing. Is a separate diagram like this acceptable?

Lastly. I will be starting work on our staff flow diagram. Can it be in a similar form to this? Or does it have to be drawn and indicated over the floor plan? (Please tell me it doesn't!)

Kind regards,

Hi Jeronkey,

Is this intended to be a process flow diagram for HACCP? If so, it looks like a great start. It looks like your sieve might be a CCP or a CP, in which case it would be a good idea to label what the critical limits are (or at least label it is a CCP or CP in the process). If you have other CCPs or CPs you should list those as well. Also, I see there is a place where you indicate that raw materials packaging is sent to waste from the process of sieving. I would assume you don't actually feed the packaging through the sieve.

If that is correct for your process, I would have "relevant raw materials are pulled from storage and taken to the production bays to await main production", be higher on the diagram than the cocktail blending. I would put "cocktail blending" and "raw material dumping" on the same level of the diagram. I would then place the extra step of "product mixing", and then "automated sieve".

I'd say the discarding of raw materials packaging would probably branch off of the process "relevant raw materials are pulled from storage and taken to the production bays to await main production". The reason being is, you would be dumping those raw materials into your cocktail blend for total mixing prior to the sieve. So, as you are dumping the raw ingredients, you'd basically be removing raw material packaging at that point. You should also indicate other sources of waste (product that is sub-standard, or what is removed by the sieve). Do you have any rework materials generated from your process? That should be indicated if there is rework.

I think the drawing over the floor plan mostly relates to the product and people flow of the plant (are there any allergens or risk of cross-contamination, rework flows, waste flows, etc.). This is called "movement of personnel, raw materials, packaging, rework and waste" in BRC. Basically you use the floor plan to show how allergens and/or non-allergens flow through the plant, common people flows (are people that work with allergens walking through non-allergen areas), rework flows, waste flows, receiving flows, shipping flows, etc. You would want to use different colored arrows to show different types of flows. It's actually very useful because it shows you where there might be cross-contamination concerns. This can be separate of the HACCP plan.

QAGB

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users