Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:35 PM

Hello everyone! I work in a food packing/labeling company and we hour our audit coming up in about a month and a half. I am new (literally been here for a week) and I am a little overwhelmed with everything that I am trying to learn. I thought I would put this out there and try to get some advice from people that have been doing this for a while.

The company I work for is pretty small. We are actually all in one building. I just started last week and conducted my first mock audit today with the production manager to try and get everything prepped for our actual AIB audit.

There are a lot of things that need to be addresses and I am currently writing all the corrective actions for them. I guess my question right now is, how hard should I be for this mock audit? We are going to have a mock audit every week to get everything prepped.

This company has been without someone in the AIB position for about 2 months so there are a lot of things that have been overlooked for a while. I completely understand how this can happen but I am concerned about either coming down to hard on them or not hard enough and us doing horrible on the audit.

Does anyone have any pointers for me as far as how to handle the employees?

I already have all my paperwork in order for it. It literally now is coming down to the cleanliness of the facility.

Thanks in advance!

Jennie

Watanka

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 109 posts
  • 50 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:29 AM

Hi Jennie,

Passing an audit is a team effort.  As the person who will facilitate that audit, you depend on your team members to remain in compliance with your quality management programs.  Involving department managers is a key to success.  If they understand that the audit is a reflection on the entire company - not just the facilitator - they may become more interested in making this a success.  When conducting your internal audits, take as many of these managers with you and let them see what you are seeing when you find a non-conformance.  In time they will own the solutions you need.  We use pictures as an aid to document non-conformances.  A picture is worth a thousand words.

Education of clearly stated policies and procedures is the key to obtaining employee participation.  If they know why the quality programs are important to them, the company and your customers and consumers they will be more likely to embrace change.  For those hardcore employees who simply refuse to follow policy and procedure, sometimes the best education is a write-up.  Department managers can help with that.

Senior management has a role to play in all this.  Their expectations and direction set the tone and policy that backs you up.  Audits typically cover senior management policy and commitment to the quality program.  If the ownership is firmly on your side, few employees will be taking the opposing point of view.  

Good luck with your audit!

Thanked by 1 Member:

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

Hello everyone! I work in a food packing/labeling company and we hour our audit coming up in about a month and a half. I am new (literally been here for a week) and I am a little overwhelmed with everything that I am trying to learn. I thought I would put this out there and try to get some advice from people that have been doing this for a while.

The company I work for is pretty small. We are actually all in one building. I just started last week and conducted my first mock audit today with the production manager to try and get everything prepped for our actual AIB audit.

There are a lot of things that need to be addresses and I am currently writing all the corrective actions for them. I guess my question right now is, how hard should I be for this mock audit? We are going to have a mock audit every week to get everything prepped.

This company has been without someone in the AIB position for about 2 months so there are a lot of things that have been overlooked for a while. I completely understand how this can happen but I am concerned about either coming down to hard on them or not hard enough and us doing horrible on the audit.

Does anyone have any pointers for me as far as how to handle the employees?

I already have all my paperwork in order for it. It literally now is coming down to the cleanliness of the facility.

Thanks in advance!

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

It's great that you already have the paperwork in order. Documentation can be a beast to handle at times. At least you can focus on your auditing and corrective actions at this point.

You should be as hard as possible in your mock audits. You never know what sort of auditor you will get, and it's better to be prepared than not to be prepared. At least that way, if a corrective action hasn't been completed in time for the audit, you'll have written it up as an observation, and the auditor will realize the observation was already noted and in process. As far as the mock audits, I'd start off with the harder items to correct first. That gives you more time to get everyone on board, and get those things corrected. For example, if you find that there are divots in the floor, and you wait until your last audit to bring it up, your team may not have enough time to correct it before the audit. As the weeks progress, you should be able to see progress in those areas and you can start looking at smaller issues. Those can get corrected quickly. Each week, review the progress from the audits before to make sure you aren't getting any repeat issues. By the last week, you guys should be putting finishing touches on your facility cleanliness and any maintenance issues that needed to be addressed.

As Watanka said, this is a team effort. It's not always easy to get everyone to see the importance of the audit, but if you stress the fact that everyone is responsible for helping pass, they may be more willing to work with you. In my experience, the write-ups come very few and far between because department heads will sometimes overlook things, or not provide strong enough corrective actions. Document continued repeat offenses and bring them to the department head's attention as well as senior management if the situation needs escalation. You may not totally have everyone on board during this first audit, but hopefully it will be enough to get you where you need to be. Just keep plugging at it, and in time you should see your hard work pay off.

QAGB

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users