• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:52 AM

Hi

With the new requirements for packaging to be issued to the line on an individual basis in V7 can somebody cast their eyes over this approach.

All packaging is delivered to a packaging warehouse and is accepted by the goods received team. This team complete all checks on the packaging such as artwork and quality checks. The packaging is then "formally allocated" to the factory and stored in the on-site packaging store. The packaging store on the factory site is secured and locked containing all of the packaging for various departments in the factory.

When packaging is required from one of the packing lines, operators who have access to the room (and are signed off against work instructions) go to the store, access via key code and take the packaging they need. Although the packaging has been formally allocated to the line, the packaging is then checked again as required in 6.2 of the Standard. E.g. Bar-code checks, price flash checks etc.

How does this sound as a system? How many people do you think it is acceptable to allow access to the packaging store. The alternative is to employ one person who mans the stores and issues out packaging to packing lines when needed. If this is avoidable then it is preferred.

They key things here are that the packaging has been approved and allocated to the factory stores by trained goods received staff. The packaging is then held under secure conditions. The packaging is then collected by the relevant operators and taken back to their line. Once back at the line the operator conducts a number of checks compliant with 6.2 of the Standard. All of this is evidenced by training records vs work instructions. Only staff with signed off training records will be permitted in the factory store. A maximum number of people will need to be defined.

The more comments and feedback the better.

Thanks

Anthony 

brianweber

Brian

• IFSQN Senior
  • 293 posts
  • 114 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cheese, Coffee, Golf, Scrabble, Food Safety, HACCP, BBQing

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:09 PM

Sounds like a solid plan. I did something very similar for a labeling system where we had about 2000 different labels for cheese. I had 5 production lines. When there was a label change the quality tech would sign the labels out, give them to the line lead and that person would verify again that they were the correct labels. I would think that your quality techs would have access and supervisors/leads.

Brian

McForman

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:25 PM

I agree it sounds solid. I have a question we are looking into figuring out sampling size for checks on the packaging such as artwork and quality checks. I found the AQL table on line and the manager says that is to much to sample. We order in bags by the container load for example 390 bales x 500 per bale for a total of 195000 bags. He doesn't want to unwrap the bales due to storage and the AQL table would have us sample 1630 (4 different bags). Any suggestions?

Anika

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 86 posts
  • 34 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:27 PM

I agree with the others. It sounds very good and much better than ours. Here for example, the lead brings out the skid of film and the whole lot of it may/may not not be used. Do you only bring out specific amount of packaging material for that particular line/shift?

What do you do for printing out labels (if any)? I like Brian's idea of QA team verifying labels before being handed out too. Do you think the lead hand/supervisor could be responsible for that instead of QA?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users