Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:14 PM

I work for a Food and Beverage Blow Mold Facility. Our team is preparing for FSSC ISO-22000. I am in the process of creating our Glass and Brittle Plastic Inventrory. What is the best way for me to start this task and what are some examples of Brittle Plastics. I am thinking Brittle Plastics are Electric Outlet covers, Calulators, Bekon Light Covers, Indicator Light Covers, etc..

Watanka

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 109 posts
  • 50 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:59 PM

Kellygurl83,

A glass and brittle plastics register is a relatively easy thing to do, though it may take some time.  It is a listing of each item that is made with glass or brittle plastics throughout the operations portion of your facility.  You are correct that the brittle plastics include the items you mentioned in your post.  Simply develop a checklist for each of these items and make it a part of your monthly internal audit of the facility.  My checklists are broken out by department.  If anything is added by an employee and it is legitimate, simply add it to your list.  I like to engage with the department managers while making my internal audits so they have an idea of what it is to look for and why it is a potential issue.  Their names are recorded on the glass and brittle plastics audit form as co-auditors which keeps the annual 3rd party auditors happy.  Once you have a good handle on what is supposed to be there, anything new or broken tends to stick out immediately.  If your work areas are very complex, consider using pictures to establish a visual benchmark for your register.

Good luck!

Thanked by 2 Members:

gfdoucette07

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 112 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food safety, QA, sharing my knowledge. Farming, growing, life

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:46 PM

Here is an example our list like above it is broken by department and on our audit it reads "Procedure: Inspect the areas of the facility using the “Glass and brittle plastics list” (doc LFPAP019-01).  Note whether the items are conforming or non-conforming.  A physical count of the items is not required (this is done annually during program review and/or adjusted when new equipment is added) rather noting condition.  Items found not conforming shall be noted, removed, and replaced.  These audits shall be turned in to the food safety manager for logging of results and trending. "

Hope it helps

G

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

kellygurl83

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:09 PM

Here is an example our list like above it is broken by department and on our audit it reads "Procedure: Inspect the areas of the facility using the “Glass and brittle plastics list” (doc LFPAP019-01).  Note whether the items are conforming or non-conforming.  A physical count of the items is not required (this is done annually during program review and/or adjusted when new equipment is added) rather noting condition.  Items found not conforming shall be noted, removed, and replaced.  These audits shall be turned in to the food safety manager for logging of results and trending. "

Hope it helps

G

Thanks so much. This is exactly what I have done. If I could figure out how to attach docs I would share with how my template is. Thanks for clarifying and sharing this with me.

Hope it helps

G

excel spreadsheet.   Here is an example of what I did.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users