Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 36 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:04 PM

We have been subject to a complaint whereas our carrier transferred the two pallets of product we shipped to another trailer which was very dirty. The original trailer had been inspected and was clean.  

Our client was not pleased at all as his product was sitting on a contaminated trailer floor.

My question is how do you control LTL (  less than truck) load shipments so situations like this do not happen?

Thank you! 

Tamale

BrummyJim

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 329 posts
  • 117 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Motorbike gone now. Only the dog to walk!

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:45 PM

The challenge you have is that as soon as the shipment is out of your gates, there's not a lot you can do to control it. You need to have a contract which explains your requirements, and  you can explain to your haulage company that you need to have clean trailers and explain that they might not wish to eat contaminated food, but ultimately all you can really do is wait for a customer complaint and take it up with the haulier.

You're probably best trying to build a relationship with the haulier than chopping and changing each time there's a problem, but that's about as far as it goes. It can be very frustrating. I recently visited one of our warehouse/haulage suppliers and found 3 birds nests. They weren't bothered as the product is sealed!

Thanked by 1 Member:

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

The challenge you have is that as soon as the shipment is out of your gates, there's not a lot you can do to control it. You need to have a contract which explains your requirements, and  you can explain to your haulage company that you need to have clean trailers and explain that they might not wish to eat contaminated food, but ultimately all you can really do is wait for a customer complaint and take it up with the haulier.

You're probably best trying to build a relationship with the haulier than chopping and changing each time there's a problem, but that's about as far as it goes. It can be very frustrating. I recently visited one of our warehouse/haulage suppliers and found 3 birds nests. They weren't bothered as the product is sealed!

Hi Tamale,

I agree with BrunnyJim. You can't really control the load once it is out of your hands. You may need to have a talk with that carrier and explain what your requirements are.

We've had a similar situation involving repeat offenses and now things have taken a legal route.

QAGB

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:38 PM

You need a letter of guarantee from your carrier and you should use only a HACCP certified carrier (erb, versa cold etc) You can find a list of approved carriers on the CFIA website. If they won't provide a letter of guarantee, find another carrier.

We ship LTL at all times and have not had an issue by following the above.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tamale

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 36 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:28 PM

You need a letter of guarantee from your carrier and you should use only a HACCP certified carrier (erb, versa cold etc) You can find a list of approved carriers on the CFIA website. If they won't provide a letter of guarantee, find another carrier.

We ship LTL at all times and have not had an issue by following the above.

Scampi, can you send a link to the CFIA list, I cant find it on their website.

Thanks,

Tamale

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:52 PM

http://www.inspectio...4=14&sub=SUBMIT

This is the list of registered cold storage facilities, in order to reprocess import/export these company's also voluntarily HACCP certifies the carriers

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:47 AM

Start by using a certified logistical carrier - we don't have these problems, it just means you have to pay a little more.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users