Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:34 PM

This is probably going to sound like an odd question on this formum, considering all the experience everyone seems to have.

I recently got asked to be on a Food Safety team at work, my background is in event planning and accounting. I have had experience at a previous job, but only in a limited sense. Now I am tasked with getting our facility certified with in the next 18 months. My colleges, on the team with me, have almost as much experience. One has worked in a certified facility before, but I don't think had much to do with the implementation or the daily operations (as they pertain to Food Safety).

I was wondering if any one had a good place to start. I have taken the HACCP training and plan to take the advanced HACCP soon. I am also debating getting my masters degree in food safety, though that couldn't start for at least 6 months.

Thank you for any advice you are able to provide.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:31 PM

Hi lbk,

Welcome to the Forum ! :welcome:

May i ask as to the nature of yr food business ? "Processing" / Bottling honey ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

littlebkeeper

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:41 AM

I am working with Extra virgin olive oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

littlebkeeper

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:42 AM

We process and bottle.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,415 posts
  • 1002 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 02 July 2016 - 01:13 AM

Event planning and accounting. Hmm...Since HACCP and/or Food Safety teams are generally required to "multi-disciplinary", sounds like you fit the bill. 

I don't believe I have ever had anyone from finance on one of my HACCP teams before  :shades:

In all seriousness, though, degrees in food safety are all well and good, but experience in the field is where it's really at.

What do you actually do at this processing facility?

I don't mean to sound negative here, just trying to get more info that might lead to more constructive helping.

Marshall

littlebkeeper

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:37 AM

My title is administrative assistant. As for my duties, I help with farm and ranch operations handle accounts payable/receivable and all inventory needs for our mill. When I am not buys I help fill in at the Tasting Room my department over sees.

It is a small operation that is growing. I love the diversity and struggle to find my place.

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:05 AM

Hello littlebkeeper,

At first, like your on your standpoint now, it seems the task is so big. But when you're there and start working it's chicken. Believe me. Remember HACCP team must multi-disciplinary and your knowledge fits in.

I would suggest your team will undergo formal training about HACCP and BRC version7. Auditor will find for certificate of training of HACCP team. Seek professional advice or hire a consultant that would assist you for time being until your team is knowledgeable already about food safety.

regards,

redfox

Karenconstable

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 90 posts
  • 38 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:30 AM

I agree with Redfox about getting an introductory boost from a food safety consultant.  Find one who has experience in olive oil processing, and have them spend a few hours setting up a basic outline of a system that meets your needs.  They should be able to give you an outline or table of contents of a food safety manual and some templates for documents that fit within the manual, such as hazard analyses, SOPs, policies, cleaning programs, etc. 

You and your team can use the templates provided by the consultant to start creating your own program.  This way you will be able to start with a clear picture of the final outcome and won't feel so much in the dark.  After a few months (or more), ask the consultant to check your work and identify any gaps or problems.  Then a few months before your first audit, get the consultant to come back and do a pre-audit so that you can be confident that your certification audit will go smoothly. 

Good luck!

Regards,

Karen Constable

Food Fraud Prevention (VACCP) Programs | Food Fraud Training |

Consulting | Advisory | Compliance

The Rotten Apple Newsletter

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users