• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:38 PM

Hi,

we will shortly be going through the BRC for A&B and I am at the stage where I near to do a risk assessment for each site/supplier - I don't know where to start. Has anyone got any tips or templates? We take from GFSI certified sites only.  

Many thanks in advance

Neilmd

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:44 PM

Hi,
What products are you handling, what issues have you had in he past. How often do you test the product?

These would from the basis of the risk assessment

Regards
Neil

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:42 AM

Hi,

we will shortly be going through the BRC for A&B and I am at the stage where I near to do a risk assessment for each site/supplier - I don't know where to start. Has anyone got any tips or templates? We take from GFSI certified sites only.  

Many thanks in advance

Hi marina,

Unfortunately this Standard is relatively new so there is limited info. posted so far, both on this forum and, afai can see, on the Net also.

I have done a quick look thru the 18 or so threads in the BRC Broker sub-forum and (FWIW) can suggest you have a look at threads/posts linked below (as far as risk assessment is concerned). Some of  posted comments are overlapping but may help to start things off. Feel free to post follow-up queries in the respective threads if have related queries.

I note that BRC also offer a training course for this Standard, no doubt not cheap though.

Might add that some aspects in Broker Standard are "customised" versions of topics in BRC food Standard for which there is considerable info. available of course but a lot of it will probably be a substantial overkill.

http://www.ifsqn.com...ts-and-brokers/
(post 2,6)

http://www.ifsqn.com...n-from-scratch/
(post 5)

http://www.ifsqn.com...nts/#entry98068
(post 4)

http://www.ifsqn.com...ers/#entry94243
(post 5)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

FFad

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:45 PM

We are also going through this process. I incorporate supplier risk assessment into our supplier approval process and risk rate using the following criteria:

SUPPLIER RISK ASSESSMENT  CRITERIA     Certification to GFSI recognised standard (select the most appropriate option)   Yes/No/NA Comment   1. BRC Grade AA+ OR
2. IFS Unannounced Higher Level       1. BRC Grade AA or A+ OR
2. IFS Announced Higher level OR
3. SQF Level 3       1. BRC Grade A OR
2. FSSC22000       1. BRC B+, C+, D+ OR
2. IFS Unannounced Foundation level       1. BRC B, C, D OR
2. IFS Announced Foundation level OR
3. SQF Level 2     Max Possible Score 120     Supplier QA documentation (select the all applicable options)         Completed questionnaire and supporting documents received & satisfactory OR Most recent certification audit report       Summary of HACCP plan and process flowchart indicating CCPs or equivalent acceptable       Up-to-date product specifications with all information required for product approval acceptable       Recent certificates of analysis showing results within acceptable limits received       Satisfactory batch identity and traceability system in place     Max Possible Score 20     Origin of products supplied  (select the most appropriate option)         All products from country(ies) with known history of strict control       All or Some products supplied from country(ies) with known history of less control       All or some products supplied from country(ies) with known history of poor control or with no known history     Max Possible Score 10     2nd Party Audit  (select the most appropriate option(s))         Most recent Supplier Audit score (>90%)       Most recent  Supplier Audit score (70 -89.9%)       Most recent Supplier Audit score (<70%)       Most recent Customer Audit  Passed     Max Possible Score 50     Supplier history (select the most appropriate option)         Existing supplier with no previous history of food safety and/or quality issues       Existing Supplier with history of minor quality issues       New Supplier; Existing supplier with history of major food safety or quality     Max Possible Score 25     Compliance with Customer requirements (select the all applicable options)         No complaints OR % Customer complaints closed >95% (past 12mths)       No complaints OR Avg Complaints resolution timeline (< 7days)       Supplier CPMU within target       No out of spec results since approval or last review       No Customer rejections since approval/last review     Max Possible Score 25 Total Score 0

I then assign a risk rating (High, Medium, Low) based on the total score. High risk to be reviewed annually, medium every 2 yrs and low risk every 3yrs.

Thanked by 2 Members:

FFad

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:52 PM

Sorry for the poor formatting. Below are the criteria i use again. I assign a score to each subheading under each criteria as you can see above
1. Certification to GFSI recognised standard (select the most appropriate option)

2. Supplier QA documentation (select the all applicable options)

3, Origin of products supplied  (select the most appropriate option)

4. 2nd Party Audit  (select the most appropriate option(s))

5. Supplier history (select the most appropriate option)

6. Compliance with Customer requirements (select the all applicable options)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:03 PM

Hi Felicia,

Many thks for above input but rather difficult to understand details due the formatting.

If original document available, you can upload by clicking the "more reply options" button at bottom right-hand side which gives a new page view.

Then follow ithe instructions shown under the posting box at left-hand side.

Must see a green tick/details of file under box after upload.

Then set cursor in box and click the "add". Should see "attachment No. /filename" appear in posting box. Then click save.

PS - I attempted some manual reformatting but was too much of a challenge. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Cuis

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:11 PM

Hi Felicia, 

Thanks for the information provided above. It gave me a lot of confidence on how I'm doing my supplier performance assessment. 

As brokers I have also included all the parameters related to delivery. 

I have a question on one of the parameters you have mentioned above. 

"Origin of products supplied  (select the most appropriate option)"

All products from country(ies) with known history of strict control      

All or Some products supplied from country(ies) with known history of less control"

Is there any website where I can get information on which countries have controls on their exports and which kind of controls they have?

Also does anyone know if there is a list of countries where the implementation of HACCP is mandatory or not?

Many thanks    

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:10 PM

Hi Felicia, 

Thanks for the information provided above. It gave me a lot of confidence on how I'm doing my supplier performance assessment. 

All or Some products supplied from country(ies) with known history of less control"

Is there any website where I can get information on which countries have controls on their exports and which kind of controls they have?

Also does anyone know if there is a list of countries where the implementation of HACCP is mandatory or not?

Many thanks    

Hi Cuis,

It's predictably one of the frequently posted Queries here, in one form or another, eg this parallel thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ud/#entry105611

Various free options have come and gone in last few years. I am interested to see current responses to yr query.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

samiraghafari

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Iran
    Iran

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:11 AM

also these items are important

The raw material used  in direct contact with the product is high risk

Risk of Pathogenic microorganisms in the raw material is important

The history of the rejection material is very important ( we can divide this item in to 2 parts ( quality and food safety)

Zac Zara

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:18 PM

We are also going through this process. I incorporate supplier risk assessment into our supplier approval process and risk rate using the following criteria:

SUPPLIER RISK ASSESSMENT  CRITERIA     Certification to GFSI recognised standard (select the most appropriate option)   Yes/No/NA Comment   1. BRC Grade AA+ OR
2. IFS Unannounced Higher Level       1. BRC Grade AA or A+ OR
2. IFS Announced Higher level OR
3. SQF Level 3       1. BRC Grade A OR
2. FSSC22000       1. BRC B+, C+, D+ OR
2. IFS Unannounced Foundation level       1. BRC B, C, D OR
2. IFS Announced Foundation level OR
3. SQF Level 2     Max Possible Score 120     Supplier QA documentation (select the all applicable options)         Completed questionnaire and supporting documents received & satisfactory OR Most recent certification audit report       Summary of HACCP plan and process flowchart indicating CCPs or equivalent acceptable       Up-to-date product specifications with all information required for product approval acceptable       Recent certificates of analysis showing results within acceptable limits received       Satisfactory batch identity and traceability system in place     Max Possible Score 20     Origin of products supplied  (select the most appropriate option)         All products from country(ies) with known history of strict control       All or Some products supplied from country(ies) with known history of less control       All or some products supplied from country(ies) with known history of poor control or with no known history     Max Possible Score 10     2nd Party Audit  (select the most appropriate option(s))         Most recent Supplier Audit score (>90%)       Most recent  Supplier Audit score (70 -89.9%)       Most recent Supplier Audit score (<70%)       Most recent Customer Audit  Passed     Max Possible Score 50     Supplier history (select the most appropriate option)         Existing supplier with no previous history of food safety and/or quality issues       Existing Supplier with history of minor quality issues       New Supplier; Existing supplier with history of major food safety or quality     Max Possible Score 25     Compliance with Customer requirements (select the all applicable options)         No complaints OR % Customer complaints closed >95% (past 12mths)       No complaints OR Avg Complaints resolution timeline (< 7days)       Supplier CPMU within target       No out of spec results since approval or last review       No Customer rejections since approval/last review     Max Possible Score 25 Total Score 0

I then assign a risk rating (High, Medium, Low) based on the total score. High risk to be reviewed annually, medium every 2 yrs and low risk every 3yrs.

Hi Felicia, 

The information you shared was helpful to me, Thank you. We are currently preparing for BRC agents and brokers.

Could you help me to understand if we buy from another agent and broker and if this agent and broker is not GFSI scheme certified, and is not a low risk supplier we will need to conduct audit on this Agent and broker and also the suppliers of this agents and broker?

Regards

Gelcey

FFad

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:42 AM

Hi Gelcey

The Agent and Broker doesn't necessarily have to be GFSI certified as long as the producing factory is certified.

You should get them to provide you sufficient information to assess the producing factory.

In our case we request for copies of the following when buying from Agents & Brokers that are not certified:

Please return completed questionnaire is returned and  accompanied by the following documents:

1. Product Specification 
  2. Supplier questionnaire adpated for  Agents & Brokers 
  3. 3rd party food safety accreditation certificate for manufacturing site. (e.g. BRC, IFS, SQF, FSSC22000 etc.)
  4. HACCP plan & Production flowchart indicating CCPs for supplied products
  5. Most recent certification audit report for manufacturing site
  6. Copies of other external accreditations (e.g. Organic, Kosher, Fair trade, RSPO etc.)

Bear in mind that since my post above BRC has now published v2 of the A& B Std and section 4.1.4 specifies requirements regarding buying from Agents as follows:

Where products are purchased from other agents or brokers, the company being certificated shall know the identity of the last manufacturer, processor or packer or, for bulk commodity food products, the consolidation place of the product.

Information to enable the approval of the manufacturer, packer or, for bulk commodity products, the consolidation place of the raw material (as in clause 4.1.2), shall be obtained from the other agent or broker or directly from the supplier, unless that agent or broker is itself certificated to the BRC Global Standard for Agents and Brokers.

Thanked by 2 Members:

FFad

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:46 AM

Hi Felicia, 

Many thanks    

Yes you can get information relating to controls in place ion different countries on the US GAINS report website.https://gain.fas.usd.../AllItems.aspx 

select country and category Food and Agricultural Import Regulations and Standards Reports (FAIRS

Zac Zara

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:28 AM

Hi, 

Felicia - Thank You for the reply, was very helpful,

Could you or anyone tell me what if the manufacturer / supplier is also is not certified? so in my case the Agent and broker is not GSFI certified and nor the manufacturer/supplier. 

and the agent and broker is  medium to High risk for us, so do we need to conduct audit for the agent and broker and the manufacturer in this Case?

Because BRC A&B gives two options of approval for those suppliers which are not Low risk, either GSFI scheme certification or supplier Audit.

Really appreciate your help.

Regards

Gelcey

FFad

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

Hi Gelcey

I am afraid so.If you are buying directly from the factory and they are not certified, you need to audit them and ensure the audit covers the key areas mentioned in section 4.1.2 of the A&B std Is 2.

If you are buying from an Agent who is not certified and sourcing from another uncertified factory, ideally you should audit that site but in reality, this may be difficult since the factory does not have any direct relationship with your company and may not welcome audits from non-immediate customers. Hence you may want to invoke 4.1.7 here which says:

The procedures shall define how exceptions to the supplier approval process in clause 4.1.2 are handled (e.g. where product suppliers are prescribed by a customer) or where information for effective supplier approval is not available (e.g. bulk agricultural products) and instead product testing is used to verify product quality and safety.

I have not had to deal with this sort of situation but this will be my approach if i was faced with it

Thanked by 2 Members:

Zac Zara

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:29 AM

Thank You Felicia, 

This is very helpful.