Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:29 PM

I have two facilities within 15 miles of each other.  Both plants use identical programs.  I have been using one internal audit schedule to complete these audits.  So far this has not posed an issue.

Recently we opened a plant 2000 miles away.  This plant will use identical programs as the other two plants.  Can I conduct the internal audits remotely?

Lena Scott

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:41 AM

If you need to conduct on-site audits, definitely you can't do it remotely as you need to witness the implementation of the system.. Maybe you could just define an audit frequency wherein you dedicate a day to visit the facility itself.

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 217 posts
  • 66 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:12 PM

I'm confused here...an internal audit normally incorporates both "desk audit" elements (paperwork, documentation, etc.) and physical examination of the plant, right?  How would you propose to conduct a thorough internal audit without seeing the plan in action, as it were?

oronogirl

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:25 PM

A remote audit will not suffice to meet any quality management system type audit - food safety or not. 

The desk audit/document system could most likely be done remotely but then you don't always get the proper evaluation that the affected/responsible personnel understand their roles in these procedures  --- even if it is just locating them.

Mulan1010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 249 posts
  • 139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:54 PM

I agree that I do not believe you can effectively perform Internal Audits remotely.  You could train someone there to do the audits.  He/She can send you the audits each time and then once or twice a year you could visit the facility to help coach the assigned auditor. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users