• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:37 AM

Hi All

I'm new to the forum  and may be popping in on a regular basis. My current role is HSQ Co-Ordinator. however, I've been asked to take a side step in safety and head up the company's quality management systems and processes etc (we haven't agreed on a job title just yet!!). I have some experience in BRC S&D but still have areas for improvement.

My first question is regarding clause 4.3.2 incompatible products and the risk of taints. Does anyone have any guidance, or where I can find more guidance on product segregation In particular food and non food products. In particular what is classed as a non compatible product housed with a finished food product.

I'm trying to clarify what can be stored next to each other and what cannot be stored together. i.e detergents V's tinned food products

I hope this makes sense

Many Thanks

Sarah

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

Hi All

I'm new to the forum  and may be popping in on a regular basis. My current role is HSQ Co-Ordinator. however, I've been asked to take a side step in safety and head up the company's quality management systems and processes etc (we haven't agreed on a job title just yet!!). I have some experience in BRC S&D but still have areas for improvement.

My first question is regarding clause 4.3.2 incompatible products and the risk of taints. Does anyone have any guidance, or where I can find more guidance on product segregation In particular food and non food products. In particular what is classed as a non compatible product housed with a finished food product.

I'm trying to clarify what can be stored next to each other and what cannot be stored together. i.e detergents V's tinned food products

I hope this makes sense

Many Thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I guess this is PRPs for Storage/Distribution

S&D Not my direct area but I guess  BRC7 Food gives some minimal suggestions, eg -

4.9 Appropriate facilities and procedures shall be in place to control the risk of chemical or physical contamination of product.

4.9.1  CHEMICAL CONTROL REQUIREMENTS

4.9.1.1 Processes shall be in place to manage the use, storage and handling of non-food chemicals to prevent

chemical contamination. These shall include as a minimum:

•  an approved list of chemicals for purchase

•  availability of material safety data sheets and specifications

•  confirmation of suitability for use in a food-processing environment

•  avoidance of strongly scented products

•  the labelling and/or identification of containers of chemicals at all times

•  a designated storage area with restricted access to authorised personnel

•  use by trained personnel only.

4.9.1.2 Where strongly scented or taint-forming materials have to be used, for instance for building work,

procedures shall be in place to prevent the risk of taint contamination of products.

For the storage element only, I think BRC7 is usually interpreted to be that food and non-food chemicals (ie non-ingredients) are physically segregated.  Period.

Furthermore, non-food chemicals, eg sanitisers, are physically separated from food ingredients, eg salt.

Factors like "combustible", "odorous", engineering, temperature stability etc  may introduce additional elements.

Hence presumably the taint and cross-contamination in S&D standard.

You may find more in the BRC Interpretation Guidelines (I assume such exists)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Sarahr78

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:04 PM

Many thanks

your answer is vaguely the same out-come no matter what avenue I research .  I'm just in the process of requesting a copy of the interpretation guidelines to assist in my quest. :biggrin:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users