• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Israel
    Israel

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:47 AM

Hello all,

I recently got a request for sqf level 3 certification (as opposed to level 2) because the product was declared as gluten free.
Is there a difference between level 2 and 3 regarding allergens? Because to my understanding, food safety issues (allergens being one of them) are taken care of in level 2 and level 3 deals with quality issues.
I should clarify that the request was for a product I'm importing and one that I am in charge of the Food Safety system for.
In my country we don't usually implement SQF but other standards (BRC /IFS/FSSC etc.)

Thanks

Itay

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:14 PM

Hello all,

I recently got a request for sqf level 3 certification (as opposed to level 2) because the product was declared as gluten free.
Is there a difference between level 2 and 3 regarding allergens? Because to my understanding, food safety issues (allergens being one of them) are taken care of in level 2 and level 3 deals with quality issues.
I should clarify that the request was for a product I'm importing and one that I am in charge of the Food Safety system for.
In my country we don't usually implement SQF but other standards (BRC /IFS/FSSC etc.)

Thanks
Itay

Hi Itay,

What is the product/process ?

Level 3  -  Comprehensive Food Safety and Quality Management System: Incorporates all Level 1 and Level 2
system elements and indicates that a food quality risk analysis of the product and its associated process has been
completed, that the actions taken to prevent the incidence of poor quality have been implemented.  System
elements in Module 2 at level 3 are required.

afaik, you are correct that Lv2 should fully cover all potential safety-related hazards.

Maybe yr customer(?) considers that some quality-related factor in the process is also (indirectly?) critically related to the achievance of  "gluten-free" ?.

Or maybe they just want "something for nothing". :smile:

Edited by Charles.C, 19 June 2017 - 12:20 PM.
edited

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:14 PM

That is correct Itay, level 2 covers allergen management.

It is included in level 3 but the requirements are the same (Level 3 = Level 2 + Quality Management)

Kind regards,

Tony

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:00 PM

Under Edition 7, SQF Level 2 was food safety.  SQF Level 3 added quality, which made Level 3 a hybrid program combining food safety and quality.  Allergens is a food safety issue covered under Level 2.

The new Edition 8 now separates these into two different programs:  Food Safety is one certification and Quality is another certification.  You can get certified for either or both.  Your audit can cover either or both programs.

I believe all audits after Jan 1, 2018 will be to Edition 8.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:13 PM

Under Edition 7, SQF Level 2 was food safety.  SQF Level 3 added quality, which made Level 3 a hybrid program combining food safety and quality.  Allergens is a food safety issue covered under Level 2.

The new Edition 8 now separates these into two different programs:  Food Safety is one certification and Quality is another certification.  You can get certified for either or both.  Your audit can cover either or both programs.

I believe all audits after Jan 1, 2018 will be to Edition 8.

Sorry but I think not correct.

1.1        Achieve SQF Food Safety Certification
The SQF Quality Code builds on the system elements defined in the various SQF Food Safety Codes.  Sites seeking to
attain certification to the SQF Quality Code, or retain what was previously SQF Level 3 certification in edition 7, shall
first be certified to the applicable SQF Food Safety Code for their industry sector.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

itayuri

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Israel
    Israel

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

Thanks everyone for your answers.
The process is extruded cereal, I'm only importing the product.
Am I understanding correctly, from CMheywood's post, that there will be no SQF L3 in the next version?

Thanks again,

Itay

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:19 PM

The attached file is from the SQF website: 

"Any audit that is scheduled to commence on or after January 2, 2018 will be required to be audited against Edition 8 of the SQF Code. "

Attached File  Edition-8-FAQs-Final.pdf   197.32KB   38 downloads

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:21 PM

Charles C. is correct.  You must be certified to the SQF Edition 8 Food Safety Code before you can be certified to the SQF Edition 8 Quality Code.

whiteman

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:10 AM

Charles C. is correct.  You must be certified to the SQF Edition 8 Food Safety Code before you can be certified to the SQF Edition 8 Quality Code.

Two Audits?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users