• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Myanmar
    Myanmar

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:00 AM

Hello Everyone!

Firstly let me introduce our product first.

We produce Malted Milk Powder and Coffee.

Especially, we packed the Malted Milk Powder with a lot of packaging: sachets, aluminum bags and Glass Bottles.

Now, I have a problem with Empty Glass Bottles.

I found some white particles that suspect as mold inside the Glass Bottle.

That was 1 to 3 pcs inside the jar. Sometimes, it was outside the bottle.

We discussed how to solve the problems and we got 3 ways to kill the mold.

1. Spray with alcohol inside the bottles.

2. Pass through the heating tunnel.

3. Pass through the UV Tunnel.

The one I want to know is all these ways can exactly kill the mold?

If we will wash the bottles with hot water and after drying, is it secure for growing mold?

Thanks you all so much.

QATX12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

Hi Su Lei,

I believe I know what you are seeing in your bottles [kind of snowflake looking white blooms?] and it is not mold. We had the same issue and consulted with our glass manufacturer, it is Glass Bloom:

Bloom is the visible product of reaction between the sodium on the inside surface of glass containers and atmospheric carbon dioxide and/or oxides of sulfur. It is a thin layer of amorphous or crystalline forms of those salts and gives the glass a cloudy appearance. The formation of bloom is time dependent; the older the glass, the more likely bloom has formed and the more advanced its formation. The rate of formation is also dependent on humidity and temperature, but their influences are imperfectly understood in the industry. Glasses higher in alkali are more prone to bloom.

The presence of bloom is only aesthetic; it has no effect on the product contained in the container. The degree of reaction is somewhat proportional to the visibility of the bloom. In its earlier stages of development bloom is rapidly water-soluble and is quickly removed by simply rinsing the container or filling it with product. In its later stages in which the bloom takes in a visibility crystalline appearance, solubility rates may be reduced and removal may not be accomplished by simple rinsing. In either case the surface sodium which reacts to form the bloom would dissolve into the product with or without the bloom. The product is ultimately unchanged. No alteration of taste or character of the product will be effected.

Bloom formation cannot be absolutely prevented. Early use of containers after manufacture is the most visible solution. Treatment of the inside surfaces of the containers with hydroflourocarbon materials (internal treatment) forestalls the formation of bloom by removing the sodium ions close to the surface. Long-term bloom remains possible because of migration of sodium to the surface by diffusion. Internal treatment is recommended for those applications where there is sensitivity to the aesthetic effects of bloom or where inventory consumption is slow. Internal treatment is a relatively inexpensive additional process.

A simple water solubility test will be used to determine if bloom is rejectable or not. The test will take samples of the questionable containers, rinse the sample bottles with a specified quantity of distilled water, shake out excess water, allow the rinsed and inverted bottles to air dry and examine the brightly illuminated dry bottles for visible evidence of bloom. Any bottles in which the bloom was not removed by rinsing would be rejectable.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users