Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

I see that there is a new section on labelling that says that we must ensure product is labelled according to the regs in the country of sale. Is this actually new?

How does everyone prove this? The labelling regs can be very large and are often online. Does anyone print these out? How can you easily prove that all the regulations are followed? Does anyone have a sample label approval template? I would be looking mostly for US/Can.

Most places don't offer any approval services, so usually we have to do this in house.

Any help on how to show compliance would be great

Andy_Yellows

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 201 posts
  • 37 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Football, Dr Pepper

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:50 AM

Hi QFG,

From experience your awarding body or Local Authority will inform you if any labels used are not in line with regulation. Failing that, technical staff from the customers you supply will let you know if there is a problem. It may be worth asking a technical contact from some of your customers to mock up some examples of how they want the labels laid out or sending proposed new labels for their approval. That way they'll do a lot of the work for you.

Hope this can be of some help.

Andy

On the Ball, City

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:42 AM

Hi QFG,

i anticipate that you may assume that an importer is cognizant with his Country's labelling Requirements. They usually have a good business reason to be so.

Then, as indicated in previous post, IMEX it is typically the Manufacturer's QA responsibility to ensure that labels are documentarily approved by the importer. After all it is not so unusual to find alien languages et al involved.

I wonder how you control this at the moment ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

i anticipate that you may assume that an importer is cognizant with his Country's labelling Requirements. They usually have a good business reason to be so.

Not always the case sadly.  We've had many occasions where the importer hasn't had a clue.  Nowadays we export directly and we're not the only people doing so once you work out how much margin the exporters take for no value.

The reality is for English language countries I don't think we do a bad job.  We are members of Campden BRI and have done EU and US training with them.  Australia and NZ we're not so hot on but can ask Campden for any specific queries.  If it's retailer branded (e.g. a supermarket or wholesaler in the US or Aus) we do, to some extent, rely on them to be aware of their own laws and advise.  We check the content more than we check the legislative requirements if that makes sense?  I.e. the ingredients list is accurate, the nutritional is accurate, weight is correct. 

If the country is not English speaking that's even more of a minefield.  We do check nutritional is right where we can work it out and the weight but we have to rely on the customer, after all, legally it is their label not ours. 

So we can prove the label is checked for the parts we can check when audited and while we're not FSC22000, we've never had a problem with this but it's not reasonable to expect the team to be fluent in Rumanian, Chinese, Russian etc.  I did look into off site contract checking of artwork but the cost was >£100 per piece of artwork.  My record for internal approval was about 40 in a day.  Hmm... I really should start freelancing...

That all said I'm trying to improve our knowledge of export markets but it's a big job and one we can't be experts in when my company exports to probably 40 countries?  I will settle for a reasonably effective Jack of All Trades!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

I see that there is a new section on labelling that says that we must ensure product is labelled according to the regs in the country of sale. Is this actually new?

How does everyone prove this? The labelling regs can be very large and are often online. Does anyone print these out? How can you easily prove that all the regulations are followed? Does anyone have a sample label approval template? I would be looking mostly for US/Can.

Most places don't offer any approval services, so usually we have to do this in house.

Any help on how to show compliance would be great

Hi qfg,

IIRC the USFDA do offer free detailed formatting templates. (If that is what you are actually seeking?)

Canada no idea unfortunately.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:15 PM

We put the expectation back on the customer through our label approval program.  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users