Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 60 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:42 PM

Finished SQF8 audit last week. Received non-conformance for not documenting a record keeping protocol. Hoping others can show me what they've have done to abide by this.

Zerokill_Guiding

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Fly Fishing

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:03 AM

Finished SQF8 audit last week. Received non-conformance for not documenting a record keeping protocol. Hoping others can show me what they've have done to abide by this.

Hello,

I hope some of these help you out. We are scheduled for SQF next week!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached File  QMS - 5.1.doc   39KB   280 downloads

Attached File  QMS - Document Control - Document Approval Change Request Form1.doc   32.5KB   263 downloads

Attached File  QMS - Pyramid - 2010-02-08.doc   29KB   215 downloads

Attached File  QMS - Sample Document Control Change Notice1.doc   32.5KB   203 downloads

Attached File  Introduction to Document Control 2010-03-05.ppt   75KB   252 downloads

Thanked by 4 Members:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:30 PM

I am not sure that the above documents cover the requirements for record control. Included in the procedure I would expect to see:

Identification and maintenance of records

Checking and approval of adequacy
Identification of changes, reasons and revision codes
Issuing new or amended records to point of use
Maintaining legibility and accuracy of issued records
Identification, retrieval and disposal of obsolete records
Periodic record review
Specification of storage conditions, preservation methods and retention times

The SQF Code Edition 8 requires you to fulfil the following and this should be covered in your procedure:
2.2.3 Records (Mandatory)
2.2.3.1 The methods and responsibility for undertaking monitoring activities, verifying, maintaining and retaining records shall be documented and implemented.
2.2.3.2 All records shall be legible and suitably authorized by those undertaking monitoring activities that demonstrate inspections, analyses and other essential activities have been completed.
2.2.3.3 Records shall be readily accessible, retrievable, securely stored to prevent damage and deterioration and shall be retained in accordance with periods specified by a customer or regulations.

​Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 2 Members:

Sabear

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 60 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:57 PM

Thank You both so much for the guidance!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:05 PM

The related SQF Guidance is fairly explicit, eg this extract -

What do I have to do?

This  element  is  mandatory.    The  supplier  must  develop  a  written  procedure  documenting  responsibilities  for completing records (e.g., monitoring records, inspection and test records, etc.) and identifying those responsible for verifying the records.   

Records must be retained under secure conditions as required by customer specifications and legislation. Employees who are responsible for monitoring and recording activities must be made aware of the importance of maintaining all records in a clear and legible manner and the importance of recording the information at the time the
activity is performed.  

The employees responsible for monitoring critical food safety points (CCPs, CQPs) in the process are required to sign the  record  indicating  the  entry  and  the  date  it  was  made  (or  electronically  authorize  the  entry).  In  addition,  the supplier is required to ensure that staff responsible for verifying food safety records sign and date each record they review as part of their verification activities (refer to 2.5.4).  These responsibilities and actions must be documented in the procedure.  

Electronic  records  are  acceptable.    The  supplier  must  have  the  means  to  manage  electronic  security  of  records, electronic signatures of monitors and reviewers and the means for electronic review.

On paper-based records, the use of correction fluid to address corrections is not recommended. A line through the inaccurate recording, with accurate recording and initials of the monitor is recommended.  

There is no prescribed duration for retention of records.  For some suppliers it may be prescribed by legislation, customer requirements or insurance coverage.  Apart from those requirements, the general rule is to retain records for the commercial shelf-life of the product (i.e., the maximum time before consumption).  However for short shelf-life products, suppliers must retain records beyond the next recertification audit, as a minimum.

And a lot more.

It looks sort of like "Documentation Control" 101.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SFarmsNH

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:58 PM

Hi, I have a related question, not specific to the record keeping procedure.  Was the non-conformance found during the desk audit?  I did not think those were "scored".  Thanks! 

Sabear

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 60 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:00 PM

Yes it was found during the first part of the audit. Where they review your policies and procedures (records/documents) to ensure they are following SQF rule.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users