• Quick Navigation
Photo

What are the most valuable qualifications for a Quality Manager?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,795 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

Keep going... sometimes it's timing.  I've had so many contacts this week from people after I've got a job.  Also are you using your network?  Loads of jobs are never advertised (it's a cliche but it's true).  I have about 700 Linkedin contacts and I contacted nearly all of them in a month and made about 100 more connections.  I used Linkedin so much they barred me from certain activities because they thought I was a recruiter!  Still I felt like I was alone and had no-one to help yet in that month, loads of friends actually came out of the woodwork and supported me but I did have to ask for their help.  People are too busy to notice you need it.

It just takes a bit of luck and a bit of asking for what you need but you will get there.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:42 PM

In my interviewing experience...I get told "you are top two or three candidates".  Wow, swell....over 80% of the time I have also been told, "we are going a different direction" in some form or another.  So I'm a "top candidate", but only batting 20%.

I'm only counting the possible positions where I do the face to face interviews.  What does this tell me?  That me, my skills, how I interview, my presence and personality are only part of the equation and rather a smallish part.  If I had a pie (mmmm pie!) of all the things companies look for in a QA candidate and what determines the final selection my experience tells me the breakdown as follows:

• Your talent / skills: 30%
  • Fit within the organization (culture & personality): 30%
  • Who you know: 20%
  • Timing: 20%

You can't beat yourself up too hard for not getting an offer.  All you can do is hope to gain from the experience by possibly learning what may have prevented you from being selected (if it is fit within the organization or timing you can't do much about that) and possibly expand your network in the process.  

The great thing about our industry is there is never a lack of job opportunities....yes you may have to be willing to relocate, take less money than hoped, or work for a slightly less than desirable company.  But our industry is secure as hell, and being in QA within our industry is even more secure.  Who in their right mind would want to work in QA in food?  Us crazy people, that's who!  :spoton:

Thanked by 1 Member:

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:56 PM

Who in their right mind would want to work in QA in food?  Us crazy people, that's who!  :spoton:

I'm sure I'm not alone when I tell people that I did not get into the food safety and quality industry to make friends.  :lol2:

Thanked by 1 Member:

Plastic Ducky

Director of Food Safety

• IFSQN Member
  • 175 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:FDA, USDA, SQF, BRC, FSMA, FSM (Flying Spaghetti Monsterism), Acidified Foods, LAFC, using a spotlight to hunt C.H.U.D.s at night, cooking, mycology, the middle path, epistemology, waffles, and being an all around student

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:05 PM

UPDATE!!

I got a new awesome job!!! After dozens of interviews, I got a great job in UTAH!!! It is beautiful here!!

Listen to the smart people on this forum, they know what they are saying.

Don't give up! When the right job comes around, IT'S YOURS!

When it's time, no one can stop you!!

Take every criticism with a grain of salt and never forget your own value! 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:14 PM

Well done Plastic Ducky----wow I'm envious  Big Sky just coming into the great weather!!!!

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

RMAV

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 407 posts
  • 122 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:QA, Micro, Sanitation;
    Meats, Juice, Condiments;
    SQF, Audit, and aviation

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:56 PM

Congratulations!  It takes several tries to land the big fish!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:11 AM

In my interviewing experience...I get told "you are top two or three candidates".  Wow, swell....over 80% of the time I have also been told, "we are going a different direction" in some form or another.  So I'm a "top candidate", but only batting 20%.

I'm only counting the possible positions where I do the face to face interviews.  What does this tell me?  That me, my skills, how I interview, my presence and personality are only part of the equation and rather a smallish part.  If I had a pie (mmmm pie!) of all the things companies look for in a QA candidate and what determines the final selection my experience tells me the breakdown as follows:

• Your talent / skills: 30%
  • Fit within the organization (culture & personality): 30%
  • Who you know: 20%
  • Timing: 20%

You can't beat yourself up too hard for not getting an offer.  All you can do is hope to gain from the experience by possibly learning what may have prevented you from being selected (if it is fit within the organization or timing you can't do much about that) and possibly expand your network in the process.  

The great thing about our industry is there is never a lack of job opportunities....yes you may have to be willing to relocate, take less money than hoped, or work for a slightly less than desirable company.  But our industry is secure as hell, and being in QA within our industry is even more secure.  Who in their right mind would want to work in QA in food?  Us crazy people, that's who!  :spoton:

Hi Ryan,

Thks for the excellent breakdown.

I would add one more - try and demonstrate more knowledge about the Firm's activities than the interviewer has (Maybe covered in "skill".)

@ Plastic Ducky,

Congratulations !

Indeed, IMEX it's so often a case of try, try, try again ......

I'm curious, what is the Job?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Plastic Ducky

Director of Food Safety

• IFSQN Member
  • 175 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:FDA, USDA, SQF, BRC, FSMA, FSM (Flying Spaghetti Monsterism), Acidified Foods, LAFC, using a spotlight to hunt C.H.U.D.s at night, cooking, mycology, the middle path, epistemology, waffles, and being an all around student

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:58 PM

Hello Charles C,

Thank you. I am grateful for this opportunity and after being run through the ringer in interviews I also believe in the breakdown that Ryan provided above. After being flown out to Greeley CO, Tracy CA, Blaine WA, and Fort Madison Iowa, only to be passed up, I got an opportunity as a Quality Manager with a company that makes personal care products like essential oils, mouthwash, and some supplements. They are SQF level 2 (2nd year or cert) under categories 19 ( Food Ingredient Manufacture) and 31 ( Dietary Supplements). I have never worked in the personal care product line before but I am a good learner. That is exactly what I told the CEO who interviewed me. It is a small company with a lot of potential. And the people here in Utah are exceptionally nice.

I want everyone out there who is feeling down like I was to understand one thing;

This Indian guy I buy gas and the occasional beer from at the corner store said it best, short and sweet.

I always gave him a weekly update. In total, I was vigorously searching for a job for about 3 months.

Every time I gave him "bad" news about not getting the job he said  "time not come".

He stated;  "when the time comes, you can answer all the questions wrong and still get the job, nothing can stop it"

"when it's not time, you can do everything perfect and you get nothing, be patient"

As a "former" Texas, eastern thought like this is scoffed at culturally. But my mind was comforted to reference the process in this manner. Simply an event that I wasn't in control of as much as I wanted to be. Accepting the reality of simply being a character in the story rather than the person writing the story was a huge stress relief, and is it not true? The stink of desperation and desire wafting off of me at interviews was acrid. After emersion into my new perception as being part of a huge detailed, elaborate unstoppable unchangeable event I was able to relax and  just simply do my best and not worry about it any more.

And that is exactly when it happened. I landed the job. My new perception changed my everything from my blood pressure, anxiety, rate of speech, body language, and ability to be charming and personable.

I am diving head first into the world of FDA regulation on personal care products and the new world of quality associated with this environment.

And I will leave you all with a final thought given to me by a dear friend of 20 years that is currently locked up in prison. After complaining to him about my past employer and how much I dreaded going to work my friend stated; "There is one thing you can do that I can't. If there is something in your life that you don't like,...... change it".

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

Congratulations Ducky.  Now go show everyone what you are made of and make a real impact there.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Danica

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 24 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Yoga, running, mediation, nature, cooking/eating, reading, learning, science/tech, life in general :)

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:30 PM

Yes PD, keep your eyes on the prize but don't forget that it is quite important in life in general to live in the 'now' rather that the 'coulda/woulda/shoulda'. You are right where you need to be and things will come in place like they should.

I always had this philosophy with jobs and the one time I did not: had about 6 interviews with no call backs! I was so in need of a job (was with no income for 3 months). I must have looked too desperate and I was also applying for jobs where I was overqualified (in knowledge and experience, not necessarily education degree).

Let me tell you: Overqualified is as bad on the moral..you still feel like you suck, even if you know they did not give you this low-paying receptionist job because they likely suspected you would leave as soon as a better one came along. I got that vibe from the almost all the interviews: why are you here? (instead of in a research lab doing an awesome, interesting, good paying job with load of other benefits-all my CV was research or research lab management)

I wanted to leave the city and come back to my hometown (no research lab for 500km here..), I knew I would have to switch careers and was ready for all the sacrifices this involved-they were not so convinced I guess..

Finally here, working for a boss I was already familiar with and we are doing great work together! Just sent him a shout on a Friday to see if he had some opportunities, the next Wednesday BAM: job as food safety coordinator. He had received a call for a reference and thought I had been hired already. He was happy and I was happy too.

I am right where I need to be, everything happens for a reason.

Glad that you had a sort of 'awakening' about this :sleazy:

Congrats on achieving your set goal :happydance: :thumbup:

Thanked by 1 Member:

Plastic Ducky

Director of Food Safety

• IFSQN Member
  • 175 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2018 - 01:03 AM

UPDATE:

I got a job. A great opportunity. FINALLY! Only after 40 something interview did it finally happen. This forum is full of affirmations. Y'all are GREAT. The world of Quality can be isolating. I think of this forum as my official "Quality Department Remote Consult" and thank GOD for all of you!!!

If you are out there, and you are unhappy, underappreciated, underpaid, and underLOVED, know this; there is something out there for you, an incredible opportunity, GO GET IT. And lay waste to anything in your way, especially those naysayers. You MUST keep going........

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:17 PM

Hey - CONGRATS!! Persistence pays off!

Details on the new digs?

Sweet'n'low

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:59 PM

Congrats DUCKY! I hope you celebrated with some quackin after getting your job. 

Here is a follow up question: 

At what point do you value relocating over staying in the same city? 

I am an SQF practitioner and in May I graduate with my bachelors in Supply Chain and Operations Management. I'm trying to figure out what it would take for me and my family to even consider relocating to another state considering family is in the area and we want that to be a big part of my 1 year old son's life. 

Would be interested in hearing people's thoughts on the matter. 

Thanks. 

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:04 AM

I've read and heard some information on people willing to relocate end up being more "successful".  It makes sense because it doesn't limit your options, you open up your options.  I was born and raised in Southern California.  Lived there 40 plus years and ended up relocating to Alabama.  I am married and we have a 2 year old, well she was 2 when we moved / relocated.  We were basically trading my wife's family for my family since my family is in Alabama.  I don't regret it and have enjoyed a "slower pace of life" with less idiots.  California is certainly becoming a crazy state.

So my input...if you find the right opportunity for you then go for it regardless of location.  You will miss family for sure, but can make it work.  My wife has been back to California a couple times with our daughter to see her family and they've been out to visit us.  So they make it work and we make it work.  Overall, we are all much happier and I feel less stress....and our money goes a hell of a lot further here which always helps.

Just keep in mind if you go down the road of relocating, try and find a company that is willing to pay relocation costs.  The tax rules around it recently changed as of this year so most companies will pay to relocate you because it is now shown as income on for you and taxed appropriately (which sucks!).  But this was done to give companies more incentive to attract and relocate employees outside of their area.

Congrats DUCKY! I hope you celebrated with some quackin after getting your job. 

Here is a follow up question: 

At what point do you value relocating over staying in the same city? 

I am an SQF practitioner and in May I graduate with my bachelors in Supply Chain and Operations Management. I'm trying to figure out what it would take for me and my family to even consider relocating to another state considering family is in the area and we want that to be a big part of my 1 year old son's life. 

Would be interested in hearing people's thoughts on the matter. 

Thanks. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users