• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:22 AM

I would like confirmation.

We manufacture low risk RTE products that is SQF Certified and I would like to hear more of everyones input.

Is it acceptable to have the big Gatorade dispensers with a closed lid to store water for our employees to drink inside the plant? The cups are coned for a one time usage. I would like to have 3 locations inside the plant that is designated for just that. 1.mixing. 2.oven 3. Packaging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:46 PM

I would think as long as the container is included in your sanitation schedule and that the used cups don't become a contamination issue that should be fine.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

itreatpets

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:55 PM

Water only, plastic shatterproof container and single-use paper cups seem to fit the bill as safe. I don't see it as an issue.

I would be concerned about the cups not ending up in the garbage and employees washing hands afterward. So ensure you have done training on what to avoid while drinking water. Add the container to your sanitation schedule and depending on the material of the container add it to your glass and brittle plastic register. Also, think about the process of filling the container with water, who, when and how.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:07 PM

Containers that can move, can be an issue.   I have never seen movable containers not move from their designated locations.

Best I've seen are water coolers with cone cup dispensers.

'

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

bryan63

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:06 PM

On our production floor, which can get extremely hot, we have Water/Ice machines and the operators are issued reuseable plastic mugs with lid/straw.  This elimiinates the need to deal with disposable cups, the potential trash, clutter, etc.  They are able to take them to their work stations in designated areas to remove the potetntial for spills.  You wouldn't want Gatorade or any other beverage that contains sugar, colorant, etc that if spilled, would be more difficult to clean, could stain and or leave a sticky surface.

Timwoodbag

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 68 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:36 PM

4.3.1.4 Smoking, chewing, eating, or spitting is not permitted in areas where product is produced, stored, or otherwise exposed. Drinking of water is permissible only under conditions that prevent contamination or other food safety risks from occurring. Drinking water containers in production and storage areas shall be stored in clear, covered containers, and in designated areas away from raw materials, packaging or equipment.

I read that as no you can not.  Container must be clear.  Try a local water delivery service with those big jugs you flip upside down onto a dispenser.   

FSQA

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 315 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:55 PM

On our production floor, which can get extremely hot, we have Water/Ice machines and the operators are issued reuseable plastic mugs with lid/straw.  This elimiinates the need to deal with disposable cups, the potential trash, clutter, etc.  They are able to take them to their work stations in designated areas to remove the potetntial for spills.  You wouldn't want Gatorade or any other beverage that contains sugar, colorant, etc that if spilled, would be more difficult to clean, could stain and or leave a sticky surface.

Bryan, how do you maintain a record of that Plastic Mug not ending up in your FP?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:01 PM

Bryan, how do you maintain a record of that Plastic Mug not ending up in your FP?

You educate your employees....risk would be the same as hand held knives/tools used in process, employees should be trained on what to do if an item falls into batch etc.  Training should include something like "employee is responsible to notify supervisor immediately if container is missing/damaged"

Employees health and safety has to be factored in...............if you have a facility that's 110 degrees inside, you'll have zero productivity, you will either reduce working hours due to increased breaks to get water, or actively monitor the employees water containers 

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

FSQA

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 315 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:25 PM

You educate your employees....risk would be the same as hand held knives/tools used in process, employees should be trained on what to do if an item falls into batch etc.  Training should include something like "employee is responsible to notify supervisor immediately if container is missing/damaged"

Employees health and safety has to be factored in...............if you have a facility that's 110 degrees inside, you'll have zero productivity, you will either reduce working hours due to increased breaks to get water, or actively monitor the employees water containers 

This is exactly why i asked him, if he has a log/record of keeping a track of the bottles or is this mentioned in their cGMP/Training Policy , similarly as one keeps a records of Knife (log) or Tools issued to the line operators.

Definitely, employee safety should be utmost important, however, introducing Plastic near to your Food production is a hazard and should be tracked. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users