• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:10 PM

For SQF Code 8 Quality the following applies for material suppliers approval:

2.4.4.2 :Material suppliers shall be selected and approved based on their ability to supply materials that meet quality
specifications. The evaluation program shall require suppliers to:

i. Maintain controlled and current copies of specifications;

ii. Have processes that are capable of consistently supplying materials that meet specification and other defined quality metrics (e.g. delivery.
service, adherence to specifications, etc.);

iii. Be certified to a second or third party quality management system; and

iv. Have a
complaints and corrective action process in place.

Can I as the customer (2nd Party Auditor) create my own certification standards for my suppliers and conform to the code? Is it mandatory that I visit the suppliers site to perform the audit. Would answering a Self Audit Questionnaire created by me the 2nd Party suffice?

The code doesn't prescribe or specify the 2nd party certification criteria.

speedysnacks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:52 AM

For SQF Code 8 Quality the following applies for material suppliers approval:

2.4.4.2 :Material suppliers shall be selected and approved based on their ability to supply materials that meet quality
specifications. The evaluation program shall require suppliers to:

i. Maintain controlled and current copies of specifications;

ii. Have processes that are capable of consistently supplying materials that meet specification and other defined quality metrics (e.g. delivery.
service, adherence to specifications, etc.);

iii. Be certified to a second or third party quality management system; and

iv. Have a complaints and corrective action process in place.

Can I as the customer (2nd Party Auditor) create my own certification standards for my suppliers and conform to the code? Is it mandatory that I visit the suppliers site to perform the audit. Would answering a Self Audit Questionnaire created by me the 2nd Party suffice?

The code doesn't prescribe or specify the 2nd party certification criteria.

Hi spedysnacks,

I suggest you have a look at  this, sort of similar, recent thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...-certified-how/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

speedysnacks

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:32 AM

Charles,
Thanks for the direction. Can you share your opinion regarding what would be a satisfactory 2nd Party Audit? The option is shown in the code but it isn't clear what it means. Does the lack of a definition allow the supplier to create their own quality certification? Would on-going product inspection supersede the need for a certification?

speedysnacks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:05 AM

Charles,
Thanks for the direction. Can you share your opinion regarding what would be a satisfactory 2nd Party Audit? The option is shown in the code but it isn't clear what it means. Does the lack of a definition allow the supplier to create their own quality certification? Would on-going product inspection supersede the need for a certification?

Sorry that I have never used SQF but please look at the Guidance. There's a lot more of it. Sort of spells out a lot of the requirements.

Was this Code element the same in SQF 7.2 Lvl3 ? If so I guess there must be considerable experience already within  SQF users.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:58 AM

addendum

i had a look back at SQF 7.2 Lvl3 and the SQF8 Food Quality Code. Seems the principal relevant changes for this thread are in the new 2.4.4.2 - 2.4.4.4, namely -

.2) Material suppliers shall be selected and approved based on their ability to supply materials that meet quality specifications.  The evaluation program shall require suppliers to:

i.        Maintain controlled and current copies of specifications;

ii.        Have processes that are capable of consistently supplying materials that meet specification and other defined  quality metrics (e.g. delivery. service, adherence to specifications, etc.);

iii.        Be certified to a second or third party quality management system; and

iv.        Have a complaints and corrective action process in place.

.3) Material suppliers shall only be accepted into the facility based on either certificates of analysis for every lot received, or inspection at receipt to ensure materials comply with specification.

.4) The approved supplier program shall include an agreement with suppliers for the return or disposal of materials that fail to meet specifications or are damaged or contaminated.

(the red are items which i guessed might have a more immediate impact).

Some of the above changes are reflected in appropriate additions to the Audit Guidance (AG) list for sqf7.2 although ca 90% of the sqf8 AG looks almost identical to me.

Seems to me the net changes for this supplier approval topic maybe not so much in SQF8 except perhaps for 2.4.4.2(i,iii) although SQF users may disagree of course.

Regarding yr query on "audit" I noted from some comments in sqf 7.2 threads that, at that time, a checklist based on the SQF Code was "expected" (although seemingly not mandated anywhere and seems a rather Draconian choice). The new chunk regarding certifying to  a  "quality management system" might be "problematic" for some raw material/ingredient suppliers(?). Fishing Boats ?

I anticipate current SQF8 users will have a much better idea than i regarding the above. Comments are obviously welcome. :smile:

PS - for sqf 7-2 I noticed a suggested vendor excel here -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ers/#entry87307

As a caveat to clarity, can also see the potential confusion (mine) on this topic here -

http://www.ifsqn.com...-vendor-audits/

(a) Does the lack of a definition allow the supplier to create their own quality certification? (b) Would on-going product inspection supersede the need for a certification

(a) Maybe Yes but (see comments above)......(b) Seemingly in Principle NO but effectively perhaps depending on what kind of input/supplier is involved.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:28 PM

You would not create your own "certification", however you can create your own audit format that you use to audit a supplier.

I have several clients that have created their own formats and their QA personnel travel each year to all of the suppliers and conduct the audits.

On the other hand, the balance of clients rely on 3rd party auditors from an auditing company to undertake the audits for them.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:39 AM

You would not create your own "certification", however you can create your own audit format that you use to audit a supplier.

I have several clients that have created their own formats and their QA personnel travel each year to all of the suppliers and conduct the audits.

On the other hand, the balance of clients rely on 3rd party auditors from an auditing company to undertake the audits for them.

Hi SQFC,

Thks for the input.

Having often been the leg-work for 2nd party audits, i would also suggest a 3rd party is the easiest route for all parties concerned. But sometimes money is the referee.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

augusteissa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:17 PM

I heard that SQF will review this point because it is complicated to set up especially for packaging suppliers

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:21 PM

I heard that SQF will review this point because it is complicated to set up especially for packaging suppliers

Reason for non-appearance of Packaging Guidance perhaps ??

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users