• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:52 AM

Hello Everyone,

I have recently changed fields from engineering to food technology and have been given the opportunity to become a technical manager if I can learn fast enough. I have been given six months in which to learn about everything BRC and IFS related from writing SOPs to Nutritional Analysis and microbiology. My employer manufactures breads and some confectionery. I hope I am able to get some help with regards to what courses to study and most importantly what I can read by myself to be able to do all things food tech in six months. It would be nice to get guidance from people already in this field. Am also looking for a mentor who can guide me and charge me for his or her services.

I hope to interact with other members and share where I can.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:57 AM

:welcome: to the forum.

Plenty of knowledge here that is freely exchanged. Just ask any questions you may have and someone will reply.

Six months to get up to speed on something you have never done before? Ehhh... no pressure.

Marshall

Andy_Yellows

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 201 posts
  • 37 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Football, Dr Pepper

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:48 AM

Sounds tough but who doesn't like a challenge?! Good luck  :thumbup:

On the Ball, City

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:21 PM

Your engineering background should help you considerably!!  Food safety (once the process is established and safe) is problem solving at its core

AIB may be of help (started out as the American Institute of Baking I believe)

www.aibonline.org/Food-First-Blog/PostId/302/qa-the-importance-of-a-kill-step-validation

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

cvrm2003

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:05 PM

Hi,

It's do'able, given your background.

Ready to support/guide you through 'BRC Food' with few iterations. Basics, Requirements, Implementation and certification process.

Best Wishes !!

Murali

cvrm2003

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:13 PM

Hi,

Further, to keep you initially  engaged, pl go through the 'FAQ' Tab at the top of this IFSQN screen to know about certification processes of BRC and IFS.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Murali

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:37 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have recently changed fields from engineering to food technology and have been given the opportunity to become a technical manager if I can learn fast enough. I have been given six months in which to learn about everything BRC and IFS related from writing SOPs to Nutritional Analysis and microbiology. My employer manufactures breads and some confectionery. I hope I am able to get some help with regards to what courses to study and most importantly what I can read by myself to be able to do all things food tech in six months. It would be nice to get guidance from people already in this field. Am also looking for a mentor who can guide me and charge me for his or her services.

I hope to interact with other members and share where I can.

How long are first degree courses in food safety/technology in UK these days ? 1 year ?

I sincerely hope you are getting paid during the 6 months.

Step 1 - Understand GMP/HACCP. That's 50% BRC/IFS. (As an introduction see Simon's free BRC zip package).

Step 2 - Find a Speciment Quality Manual for BRC/IFS (there is a BRC example on this Forum)

step 3 - Start "borrowing".

Note - the implementation of BRC/IFS are considerably different. Info. for the latter is very limited on this Forum (afaik not much used in UK)

If desperate and have financial support, consider a purchase of the complete BRC/IFS "done-for-you" packages available on this Forum.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users