• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:05 AM

Hey All

I did post this in another thread yesterday but i feel it may have run it course and I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts on my query! 

We recently received a customer non conformance because employees did not wash their hands after a comfort break. This has lead me to review our current personnel hygiene policy. I'm insisting that we now state within our policy that all employees (I don't want separate policies for separate work areas)must wash their hands at the start of each shift, after lunch and breaks and of course after using the bathroom (Signs are already up illustrating this requirement), after blowing nose, coughing and sneezing etc as well as any time your hands become dirty. The senior managers have stated this is impractical due to the high numbers of employees who go on breaks at any one time. They don't want queue's forming at bathrooms to wash hands before going back into the operational areas!   :uhm:   :uhm:   :uhm:

I have been asked about the possibility of installing hand sanitizers at the entrances to each work area. However, I've heard all sort of issues surrounding the use of gels and foams in the fact that its use should be intended as an extra rather than a replacement to hand washing. 

In terms of contamination to food products we are very low risk as all our products are all finished goods and we only make changes to the outer packaging within our contract packing area, your thoughts on this subject would be very much appreciated. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:22 AM

Hi Sarah,

Actually duplicate Posts tend to be a source of confusion so are preferably avoided.

I have deleted yr previous post which JFI was in this sort of related discussion -

http://www.ifsqn.com...bient-products/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:51 PM

If your employees handle exposed food too bad so sad. Rotate breaks and lunches or add additional handwashing sinks and dryers. Handwashing is simple and really basic, even if it is always a pain to enforce.

If you're only storing/distributing, really you should only have harsh hand washing after bathroom breaks, but going to the break room or elsewhere isn't really a problem if none of the product is exposed. I tend to hold distribution to the same standard as retail where customers handle products without washing their hands.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 30 August 2018 - 04:40 PM

A. Hand sanitizers do not replace washing of hands.

B. Tell management to buy more sinks.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:14 PM

A. Hand sanitizers do not replace washing of hands.

B. Tell management to buy more sinks.

Agree with B. On A always worth noting that they totally do in healthcare settings where hands are reasonably expected to not contain gross soils.

https://www.cdc.gov/...ders/index.html

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:26 AM

Hi Sarahr78,

As you've posted in the BRC forums, you might want to consider BRC S&D requirements which indicate you need to buy more sinks:

4.5 STAFF FACILITIES

Staff facilities shall be sufficient to accommodate the required number of personnel, designed and operated to minimise the risk of product contamination. Such facilities shall be maintained in good and clean condition and meet any applicable legal requirements.

CLAUSE REQUIREMENTS

Where open food is stored, toilets shall not open directly into storage areas. All toilets shall be provided with hand-washing facilities comprising:

• basins with soap and water at a suitable temperature

• adequate hand-drying facilities

• hand-wash signs.

Suitable and sufficient hand-cleaning facilities shall be provided and easily accessible to staff and, where applicable, vehicle drivers. Such hand-wash facilities may be located within toilet areas.

With regards to handwashing vs. hand sanitizing, here is some info: Attached File  alcohol-handrubs-q-a.pdf   113.56KB   20 downloads

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users