• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:02 AM

Hello everybody,

I am just new in this forum and I am so thankful to learn more on food safety.

I have been browsing and do some research in this forum  on how to distinguish the differences in functions/ roles.. of AIB, BRC and YUM! -- 

Please correct me if I did not understand well,

AIB - is an accredited certifying body for food safety schemes, which is BRC.  AIB has also their own scheme, and so they can certify their customers that they follow AIB standards. 

AIB is a third party auditor --- to ensure BRC is being complied in an establishment.

BRC  is a scheme, used as a benchmark requirement... and if the food retail company is proven to comply the scheme (by an auditor, like AIB), then I can say that...      "AIB certifies ABC Company in compliance with the BRC Global Standards" (?)

---

and YUM standard, is a scheme? for particular retail group? 

Is YUM has any link to either AIB or BRC?

How is YUM different from the two??

-- Additional question: I found so many in the list of Global Food Safety standard that I have not known until i started browsing the forum... which scheme is the most tedious and most stringent requirements??

Thank you so much!!!  

AM

Edited by amclico, 04 September 2018 - 09:03 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 61 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 September 2018 - 03:05 PM

AIB is an auditing body that is certified to conduct audits to many schemes (for example, SQF, BRC)

AIB also has their own standard, the AIB Consolidated Standards which was previously known as a GMP audit standard. 

Basically, the AIB audit standard was 'good' for most companies but as more and more companies wanted a 'GFSI scheme standard audit' (BRC, SQF, etc), the AIB audit became less possible.

If you select AIB as your auditing body, you can then select which standard they audit you on.  In general, the AIB consolidated standard is less comprehensive than a global (GFSI) standard like BRC.  

Yes, AIB would give you a certificate that says "[your company] is certified by AIB to be compliant with BRC standards and scored a [X]% on the audit."

YUM Brands is another standard developed by YUM brands and required to be one of their suppliers.  I'm not sure if YUM Brands performs all their own audits or if they hire a 3rd party.   If it's a 3rd part, it could ALSO be AIB.  In that case you'd get "AIB certifies [your company] is in compliance with YUM Brand Standards".

Yum's audit standard is NOT a global standard (NOT GFSI).  It is their own thing independent of the rest. 

Generally speaking, all GFSI level global standards are 'equivalent' in the eyes of your customer.  It's just a matter of picking one and sticking with it.  You might want to look at what your competitors are using and follow suit.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 September 2018 - 03:50 PM

Generally speaking, all GFSI level global standards are 'equivalent' in the eyes of your customer.  It's just a matter of picking one and sticking with it.  You might want to look at what your competitors are using and follow suit.

Hi jci,

Thks for yr summary but I have to disagree above quote. In practice IMO this is not a typical option.

The choice is most commonly customer-driven.

@amclico,

I suggest you try some googling for -

accreditation

certification

private FS standards

GFSI's website

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 61 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:36 PM

Charles,

I did say generally speaking.  I've never encountered a single customer who has required a specific GFSI scheme and that includes 7-11, Aldi, Kroger, Meijer, Hy-Vee, Piggly Wiggly, Big Lots, Spartan Brands, all the truck stop people and some more chains.  I'm sure they're out there but I haven't found any.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:42 PM

Charles,

I did say generally speaking.  I've never encountered a single customer who has required a specific GFSI scheme and that includes 7-11, Aldi, Kroger, Meijer, Hy-Vee, Piggly Wiggly, Big Lots, Spartan Brands, all the truck stop people and some more chains.  I'm sure they're out there but I haven't found any.

Hi jci,

Amazing.

I deduce you have zero business in Europe ?.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

amclico

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:11 AM

@amclico,

I suggest you try some googling for -

accreditation

certification

private FS standards

GFSI's website

Hi Charles, 

Thanks for the suggestion, just making sure that I am on track in the way I understand  the purpose and scope of AIB, BRC, YUM as I these names often.

I checked on GFSI website and learned GFSI certified schemes are most recommended to companies as a benchmark when stepping on food safety.

Thanks again!

AM

amclico

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:22 AM

Thank you so much for this summary-- so happy to know that I am on track in my study.

I saw a list of GFSI certified schemes... when you said "It's just a matter of picking one and sticking with it."  is quite overwhelming..

What GFSI- scheme is the most recommended for food processing (i.e. snacks)? packaging? pharmaceuticals?

AM

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:33 AM

Hi AM,

You'll find that all of the schemes, whilst deemed equivalent under GFSI, have different approaches/ideas/peculiarities - once you've done some more research you may find that one of these appeals more to you, or you think it will sit better with the way your business works.

What markets are your products sold in?

As Charles indicates above, whilst some companies and regions genuinely seem to accept all of the various GFSI-benchmarked schemes as being equivalent and thus don't have a particularly strong view which is used, there are some that do have a definite preference. BRC in the UK is an obvious example, to the extent that one of our major retailers has their own optional module added to the BRC standard.

Ideally you'll want to make the choice for yourself, but if after doing plenty of research you genuinely don't have a preference then you could always ask your very largest customers if they have any particular requirements and also factor this into your plans.

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 61 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

Charles -  I have absolutely 0 experience outside of United States and Canada.  I should've been more specific.

pHruit - take a look at these forums and the number of topics.  BRC has the most topics followed by SQF.  That would seem to indicate that they're the most used.   I worked in snack food manufacturing and can tell you that most of the companies I worked with (including mine) went SQF.

amclico

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:19 PM

What markets are your products sold in?

Thank you so much for the advice pHruit.

I am searching a good reference for pharmaceutical manufacturing. What I have found is Primus scheme.. other than BRC.. btw, is BRC applies to pharma? No, right?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:09 PM

BRC is a much more stringent and rigid scheme than SQF followed by FSSC. 

FSSC has the most vague language/requirements (IMHO), but does have peculiarities (it mentions pens behind ears specifically)

Generally speaking, these are FOOD safety schemes and pharma should have issues/hazards outside of food manufacturing

WHO does have a pharma schemehttp://www.who.int/m...rtification/en/

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: audit schemes, certifying body, benchmarking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users