Jump to content

  • Quick Navigation
- - - - -

What are food grade chemical products?

  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HabibBF


    Grade - Active

  • IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks

  • Tunisia

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:45 PM

Hi everyone,


I am reading  FSSC 22000 standards, and it is mentioned in PRP 6 general services that chemical products used in the boiler should be food grade, grease too. However I feel quite confused. What does it mean food grade chemical products, in my sens chemical product = danger ?

#2 MrHillman


    Grade - MIFSQN

  • IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 6 thanks

  • Earth

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:52 PM

Here in the USA I will add FDA, or "food grade" to any chemical or lubricant search and it provides a few alternatives. There are different grades of food grade also.

"H1 lubricants are food-grade lubricants used in food-processing environments where there is the possibility of incidental food contact. ... H3 lubricants are food-grade lubricants, typically edible oils, used to prevent rust on hooks, trolleys and similar equipment."

Remember to store food grade ABOVE conventional products.

#3 012117


    Grade - MIFSQN

  • IFSQN Member
  • 227 posts
  • 68 thanks

  • Earth
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Philippines
  • Interests:Validation, basketball, chocolatier

Posted 13 December 2018 - 12:38 AM

Hi, Habib.


While it is true that all chemical pose a danger (even water though when you drink so many in a day......), food grade chemicals, when used in GMP, are suitable for its intended use and pose a very to negligible risk in food. The reason they are "food-grade" is that the process or the location where they applied and where incidental contact may occur, thus it is required that they satisfy purity regulatory standards (if applicable).


You may refer to this table for quick categories.



However, please also ensure that other PRP are in place like chemical segregation (grease gun dedicated for food grade lubricants, scooper dedicated for grease/lubricants, correct gun nipple), storage, calibration of dosing (whenever applicable), updated cert and traceability should it be needed.



#4 Hoosiersmoker


    Grade - SIFSQN

  • IFSQN Senior
  • 489 posts
  • 182 thanks

  • United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2018 - 01:34 PM

The label "Chemical" could actually mean nearly anything: lotions / cleaners / lubricants / plants / perfumes / makeup / medications / water / humans / animals etc. which is why many are termed "Hazardous Chemicals" as opposed to just chemicals. When you break it all down, everything is a chemical composition. Food Safe, as stated above, has different levels of safety as well as potential affect on your products also but, potentially harmful chemicals in your plant should be controlled by PRPs and cleaning / sanitation procedures and therefore will have no impact on food safety when used properly. A risk assessment should be performed on chemical used in or around production areas or on equipment that could have an impact on your products, manufacturing processes or equipment.


All of our lubricants and cleaners, including air compressor lubricants, are food safe. We print bright green labels and when the chemicals arrive they are immediately labeled and stored in designated places, out in the open where the label can be easily seen, stored away from all other chemicals, which are stored in cabinets at each machine.


Whatever you do needs to be specific to your facility, comply with any specific requirements and at least be adequate to protect your products which will be your decisions. Your auditor will make a determination based on your programs and records. Hope this is at least a little useful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users