Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 March 2019 - 03:14 PM

Currently, when I update a form, I note on the form the revision date and my name in a footer. Our forms are all excel files. Then on the document register, I note the date and reason for revision. We are a growing company and are currently buying lots of new equipment and supplies which has led to me having to update our post op log so much that the footer has reached max capacity. 

I'd hate to be out of compliance because my footer is at capacity, that's a really dumb reason. My question is, if I keep a history or revisions on my document register, and the latest revision date is noted on the log, would that keep me in compliance or do all revisions have to be noted on the form itself as a revision history? 

Your advice is appreciated. 

~Polly 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 March 2019 - 03:24 PM

I have always used a master list for documents. Each and every doc, whether its a policy or program, right down to SOP's is listed. Then a change log is kept where the reason and timing for the change are noted.  A binder is used to put the most recent copy of said doc into, then when things need photocopying for use, they only come out of the binder. 

The change log is more than sufficient to cover revisions.

NOTE: some policies require upper management sign off...........these should have new signatures added directly once/year or when changes are made

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

PollyKBD

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 March 2019 - 03:57 PM

We have a secure network and a folder that my food safety lead uses to print forms from daily. I save all updated forms in PDF to this folder so she always has the latest version and no one can accidentally alter it. 

My last question then, our revision history/change log (which also happens to be our document register), does not include the name of the person who made the change. At the moment I am the only person with permission to authorize and make changes (this means all of our documents and logs are full of revisions in the footers with my name and the date). Is it necessary to include a name? I imagine in the future when my team is bigger than just me and a lead with no authorization this will become a necessity. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:32 PM

I would include names on the master change log,

and for ease of use for the folks on the floor---reconsider the footer..........it can become a clunky looking document. I have seen a lot of docs and the ones easiest to use and review are the cleanest.  If anyone questions your revision #, just show them the change log.........IF you ever miss putting the same info in 2 places once, your out of compliance of your program

Just change # and date on docs and put everything else in the change log

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:42 PM

I agree with Scampi. I only have a document #, Revision # and the effective date in the footer.

Marshall

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:30 PM

I'd follow what others are saying.  Keep only the document/record number and the latest revision date in the footer.

If you aren't already, formulate the document/record number where you have different revision numbers.  EXAMPLE from my previous employer:

Document No: 01D.001.01

The last two digits were the revision number of any document/record.  It made it very easy to cross reference against the master document register to ensure everything is up to date and we were using the latest document/record number.

jcanales93

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 May 2023 - 01:48 PM

Do you have to write what the actual revision or reason for revision is? or is a revision number enough to meet code?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 May 2023 - 01:50 PM

All GFSI require a change log----you can either document the changes on individual procedures OR a master change log

A revision # change isn't sufficient

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 507 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 May 2023 - 01:53 PM

Just like Scampi says, I have a rev on the doc, and a master docs list with all my stuff, and rev # on it.

jcanales93

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 May 2023 - 05:45 PM

thank you for your help. 

jcanales93

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 May 2023 - 05:46 PM

If anyone could provide a template or example that would be greatly appreciated!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 May 2023 - 06:32 PM

You don't really need a template, just either a table in word or excel

Date    Procedure Name/No    Changes       Initial

jcanales93

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 May 2023 - 11:11 AM

Simple enough. Thank you!

Edited by jcanales93, 05 May 2023 - 11:12 AM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users