• Quick Navigation
Photo

Appropriate International Standard for Salt Production?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic
- - - - -

i.naseem.in24

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:32 AM

Hello All

New to the community so please be gentle. 

My father (god rest his soul passed away last year). As a result I have been travelling back and forth to Pakistan to get a understanding of his businesses and grasp taking over the responsibility as a family concern for one of his companies being operations for salt mining in Pakistan.

This primarily is the extraction from the underground mines, crushing, grading and product creation from Himalayan Pink Rock Salt for consumer and industry use.

HS Code # 2501 0020
CAS # 7647-14-5
IUPAC ID / EC No # 231-598-3

Its composition is made up of 'Halite' a natural Salt, Sodium Chloride of upto 97% extracted deep from salt mines in Northern Pakistan . The composition varies depending on the extraction location, with the other 3+ % being made up of 84 Trace Minerals.

As a salt its naturally produced, has not requirements to be evaporated from sea water or salt brines, and so has no changes made to its physical or chemical composition. We are simply mechanically grading the physical product

As I bring the facility and operations upto International Standards in terms of being able to facilitate trade with international markets we want to understand the basis under some industry uses such as food grade salt and using as bath salts or in cosmetics / scrubs etc what certifications are appropriate and applicable to be accredited to .

In terms of positioning ourselves as we are direct to mines and we own our production facility which we feel would be appropriate to get accredited to certain standards. Pakistan is the only place to mine and extract this natural salt so I am in a unique position to take this up with my contacts in international markets and the 20+ years of production experience we have.

Id be interested to understand the standards that would be appropriate for application for us.

Look forward to hearing from you

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 07 March 2019 - 03:36 PM

Interestingly enough I have a 5pound bag of Sherpa Pink branded Himalayan Salt sitting on top of the refrigerator right now - it is the only salt we use for cooking and sprinkling and baking, and and and... just about everything.

It would actually be the production facility/food factory that would be certified and for world markets - retail and food manufacturing, private label, etc you would be looking at SQF or BRC and maybe FSSC.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 07 March 2019 - 03:37 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users