• Quick Navigation
Photo

What policies and programs are required for Offsite Storage?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

SafetyNut

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:29 PM

Our facility is SQF certified and we are looking into temporarily storing finished product a separate location that we own. I do not know what policies or programs we should have in place here so that we can remain compliant with our CB and other regulations. 

I assume we will need applicable training, GMPs, GWPs, and other PRPs related to the processes that will be happening there (shipping).

We also store chemical at this location in an entirely different building, would this cause any issues?

Thanks in advance, 

-Looking to see what policies and programs we need in place to store finished product offsite at a different storage.

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:40 PM

Would this be a company-owned facility or a contract-based storage facility?

EDIT: Re-reading your post and found my own answer.  Yes - you will need to have in place everything you have listed. As for the chemical storage, it needs to be separated and secured away from all finished product, which sounds like what you are doing anyway.  

Are you currently involved with the manufacture of the product and then storing this at your other facility, or are you only involved in storage and distribution?

Edited by MsMars, 06 May 2019 - 06:43 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:37 PM

Our facility is SQF certified and we are looking into temporarily storing finished product a separate location that we own. I do not know what policies or programs we should have in place here so that we can remain compliant with our CB and other regulations. 

I assume we will need applicable training, GMPs, GWPs, and other PRPs related to the processes that will be happening there (shipping).

We also store chemical at this location in an entirely different building, would this cause any issues?

Thanks in advance, 

-Looking to see what policies and programs we need in place to store finished product offsite at a different storage.

Will need to let your CB know what you are doing. Your yearly audit will be expanded to include the storage facility, it will add to cost as it has for several of our clients. Your assumption would be correct and add anything for ingress/egress from your own facilty as to shipping areas, storage, etc. Basically since you own the storage facility you will need to include in scope of audit - it is possible that CB will require a site visit now, but I have only seen 1 do this. Will need to ensure pest control and all general services are in place.  The interior will be inspection as well as exterior as would your primary facility. As to the chemicals, that area would be subject to inspection as well and would need to meet current requirements having to do with first aid, wash down, containment breach, inventory, etc.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

SafetyNut

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:07 PM

We manufacture the product and currently store it at the same location or with a contract based storage facility. We have a storage facility which we own (at a different location) and are considering storing there temporarily until pickup by the customer. 

This site was originally used to treat seed (and still will be) but that building is completely separate from where the finished product will be stored and shipped.

Product is seed which we sell to farmers (treated) or as edible for further manufacturing. What really concerns me is that seed treatment happens at the same location.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:17 AM

Can you expound on what the "treatment" is ?

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

SafetyNut

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:44 PM

Can you expound on what the "treatment" is ?

Treatment is just the chemical being put on the seed in order to help it grow for the farmers.

There would be no chance of crossing treated seed and the seed we sell as edible. As they are packaged completely different - and in different locations.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users