• IFSQN Member
  • 79 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:24 AM

Morning Everyone,

I'm sure there's probably a thread on here about this somewhere, but I just wanted some quick feedback if possible.

My lovely sales team have just dropped the bomb that they would like to do business with a Canadian airline selling ambient bakery such as flapjack. We currently hold BRC 8 and only export to Germany. I've never exported  to Canada before and trying to understand what systems, audits and compliance system I would need to put in place? There is also potential with the US but that wasn't really mentioned so much.

Welcome your thoughts!

Steve

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:10 AM

Hi Steve,

Have a look at the below thread, Scampi has presented information which I expect will be of help

https://www.ifsqn.co...ort +to +canada

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:19 PM

Here's some info with the new regulations

http://www.inspectio...4/1526656634249

http://www.inspectio...4/1480084519065

You'll probably need a license OR the importer you use must be licensed

BTW, how are you making shelf stable flapjacks??????????  Or do i even want to know lol

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

StevieP

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 79 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:51 PM

Cheers Scampi, I will have a read.

My friends in the Sales team have some wild ideas! I'm hoping that's there's so much system based work to do, it will put them off to even look at shelf-life!

majoy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 243 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:02 PM

Okay, is the airline importing it directly from your company? or will they use an importer and then buy the products from that importer?

Next question is, will the airline serve these for domestic/ local Canada flights or only for international flights? I'm asking because, usually items that used by airlines can be bonded items as long as they are not distributed locally, there are exemptions.

And airlines / airline catering are pretty much exempted or not covered by CFIA as they fall under Public Health Agency or local municipal Public health office.

These are some thoughts to consider too.

"Whatever you do, do it well..." - Walt Disney

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:27 PM

Majoy, CFIA would be involved though on the importation for domestic flights....................unless as you mentioned selling direct to airline

Only air Canada would serve a bloody shelf stable pancake..............................groan what an insult to our liquid gold!

The SFCR regulations may not apply to the actual food.....but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't apply to the importation of said food

19. The Safe Food for Canadians Act (SFCA) and SFCR do not apply to the following

• food carried on a conveyance, for example ferries, airlines, trains, for use by crew and passengers
  • food intended and used for analysis, evaluation, research or exhibitions, weighing 100 kg or less, or in the case of eggs, is part of a shipment of five or fewer cases that are each intended to contain 30 dozen eggs
  • food not sold for use as human food (for example pet food, cosmetics), and labelled as such
  • foods imported from the United States onto the Akwesasne reserve, for use by a permanent resident of the reserve
  • foods imported in bond (in transit) for use by crew and passengers of a cruise ship or military ship in Canada
  • food inter-provincially traded between federal penitentiaries

20. Such food must still be safe and meet applicable requirements of the Food and Drugs Act and the Food and Drug Regulations.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users