• Quick Navigation
Photo

BRC 8 - 5.4.4: How to meet the requirement for Mass Balance Tests?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

MOURADTALBI

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 83 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Tunisia
    Tunisia
  • Interests:My main interests are: football, pool, cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport.
    I love organic food
    Food Safety & Quality News

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:30 AM

According to  BRC version 8

5.4.4           " The site shall undertake documented mass balance tests at a frequency to meet the particular scheme requirements or at least every 6 months in the absence of a scheme-specific requirement.The site shall undertake documented mass balance tests at a frequency to meet the particular scheme requirements or at least every 6 months in the absence of a scheme-specific requirement." 

can someone explain to us what it means and how to meet this requirement.

Thanks

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,073 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:42 PM

This section applies if you are making any specific product claims - e.g. Organic, Fairtrade, non-GMO etc.

For some of these (e.g. Organic) there is separate certification required, and the relevant certification schemes may mandate a minimum frequency for traceability and mass balance tests.

This BRC clause requires that in the absence of any requirements from a specific other certification scheme, you do your internal test at least once every 6 month.

Have you got a copy of the BRC Issue 8 Interpretation Guidelines? If not then this is worth obtaining - it's free if you're already on the BRC Participate scheme, or £125 from the BRC Bookshop here if not. If it's your first time doing BRC then I believe this will be a very sensible purchase for you.

Thanked by 1 Member:

MOURADTALBI

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 83 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Tunisia
    Tunisia
  • Interests:My main interests are: football, pool, cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport.
    I love organic food

Posted 29 May 2019 - 09:18 PM

This section applies if you are making any specific product claims - e.g. Organic, Fairtrade, non-GMO etc.

For some of these (e.g. Organic) there is separate certification required, and the relevant certification schemes may mandate a minimum frequency for traceability and mass balance tests.

This BRC clause requires that in the absence of any requirements from a specific other certification scheme, you do your internal test at least once every 6 month.

Have you got a copy of the BRC Issue 8 Interpretation Guidelines? If not then this is worth obtaining - it's free if you're already on the BRC Participate scheme, or £125 from the BRC Bookshop here if not. If it's your first time doing BRC then I believe this will be a very sensible purchase for you.

So, if I understand correctly I must perform a traceability test + material balance at least once every 6 months in case of allegation.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,073 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:45 AM

The short answer is yes.
The longer answer is that it could depend on which specific claim(s) you're making and any other requirements relating to it - for example, if you're labelling a product as organic and your organic certifier stipulates a requirement to do a mass balance / trace every 3 months then this would override the BRC requirement. (I'm not readily aware of any schemes that do have such a requirement, so just an illustration).

Thanked by 1 Member:

MOURADTALBI

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 83 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Tunisia
    Tunisia
    I love organic food

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:49 PM

The short answer is yes.
The longer answer is that it could depend on which specific claim(s) you're making and any other requirements relating to it - for example, if you're labelling a product as organic and your organic certifier stipulates a requirement to do a mass balance / trace every 3 months then this would override the BRC requirement. (I'm not readily aware of any schemes that do have such a requirement, so just an illustration).

Right

Thanks

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users