• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:07 PM

Hi there -

I work in flexible packaging plant. Currently have a method to keep rolls off the floor but it's kind of a trip hazard.  Can't find it in the standard where it says we have to keep them off the floor but know it's in there or it's implied somewhere.  Anyone have any solutions on what I can use to keep them off the floor?  I have at least 10 different pieces of equipment so it would need to be cost effective.  Thanks!

tezza07

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:19 PM

Our rolls come from the mills wrapped and they are only unwrapped when they are mounted on the machine. WIP rolls we wrap in plastic stretchwrap that goes up the sides a minimum of 6". Not sure if this would be an acceptable alternative for you or not in the interim.

We've had the same issue, we haven't been able to come up with a riser that isn't a trip hazard, and health & safety come before food safety, so this is what we're doing until we come up with a better solution.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:20 PM

Well, there are roll holders that are available. 

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:59 PM

We are a paperboard carton manufacturer and store all rolls on the floor because: #1 the are wrapped and #2 all outer edges of the paper are removed during the die cut process. During our first audit we were asked about this and produced the Hazard Analysis and flow diagram, Master Cleaning Register and supporting records to verify it had been followed. We have not been asked about it since.

ctzinck

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 110 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:45 AM

we are also flexible packaging. rolls of film sit directly on the floor, it is understood that the first few wraps are removed so the film in direct contact with floor is removed. never had a customer or auditor have a problem with this

Nemo's Friend

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2019 - 08:23 PM

we are also flexible packaging. rolls of film sit directly on the floor, it is understood that the first few wraps are removed so the film in direct contact with floor is removed. never had a customer or auditor have a problem with this

We are having the same issues.... as a flexible packaging printer.

It is understood in the industry that the first couple of layers are usually removed before production. However, we have been challenged before... on having rolls sit directly on the ends including empty cores, sleeves, and roll belts. Basically, we were told it could lead to a potential cross contamination on the customer's machine if we have our items directly on the floor.

Has anyone else run into this issue and how did you defend this? Would like to hear others POV. Thanks!

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:42 PM

My apologies, I misunderstood. You're referring to film rolls. Our film stays in the original corrugated protector with the lids left on until the last roll is taken. Film never touches the floor.

Dawn.Allwein

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:28 PM

Also interested in solutions to this since we have rather large rolls that we cannot use our "cradles" since they do not fit under the slitting machines.  Normally we would just place these on the floor and take off several wraps before slitting, but we are looking to reduce waste in the process and another option to placing the rolls directly on the floor would help with this.

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:38 PM

Dawn.Allwein - Just wondering what kind of rolls you're referring to? Do you process after the initial slitting process? Does the process remove hte outer edges of the paper?

As I stated in an earlier post, our paperboard rolls are stored directly on the floor but our die cut process removes all outer edges as part of the process. Nothing that touches the floor is ever used in the product. The rolls are also wrapped and we remove that as well as the outer 4 or 5 layers of paper.

Dawn.Allwein

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:43 PM

These would be our WIP rolls, they are not stood on end but set flat on the floor.  The edges are slit off and the material would be slit into rolls depending on the product.  I would think we would still be taking a few wraps off regardless - right now we are slabbing upwards of 1/2 inch or more of material before slitting.

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:11 PM

Dawn.Allwein - We have the same issue with space. We stack 6500 lb, 60" dia. rolls 3 - 4 high to save space and we hold between 200 and 250 rolls at any given time so I feel you pain on the storage side. Other than go vertical I don't know of any other easy, inexpensive solutions.

Edited by Hoosiersmoker, 26 November 2019 - 05:11 PM.

Dawn.Allwein

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:38 PM

That is not really the issue.  What I need is something to keep the rolls off the floor when they are staged before slitting.  We do have a solution for storage in the warehouse in between printing and slitting.  I apologize for not being clear.

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:38 PM

Dawn, take a picture of the setup you have where you want to get them off the floor and we might be able to help engineer a better solution if we can see the space.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users