• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is a beer factory a low risk or medium risk?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Quality-Assurance

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 16 June 2019 - 04:29 AM

Hi all,
I have a few questions:

Is a beer factory a low risk or medium risk? I quickly looked that the HACCP flow chart from the internet and they have 2 CCPs which is rinsing bottles and the bottle filler.
Could you please share with me study materials about food safety requirements in beer factory?
Also do you know what is plating out procedure and PCR in beer industry?

To Australian food safety team in this forum: Does beer factory require to follow BRC, Coles or WQA standards? Do they need to comply to these standard in order to sell the beer in Australia?

Thanks in advance,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr.Khan

DR

• IFSQN Senior
  • 314 posts
  • 132 thanks
Excellent

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Food, Reading technical information,provding technical help in QA,R&D,staff Training, products and processes optimisation, watching documentaries and making presentations
    AM available as consultant in Quality Assurance, Product & process development/ optimisation, staff training and trouble shooting in complex manufacturing Environment

Cal me on +61411588329 to discuss your requirements.

Am available for International Assignments

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:37 AM

Dear Quality Assurance

If the company is not selling directly to Woolworths and or Coles then there is no need to follow their standards.The company must have a HACCP based quality system, which quality systems the company decided to is just depends on their own and their customer requirements.

Kind regards

Dr Humaid Khan

MD
Halal International Services

Australia 

Quality-Assurance

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for your reply. I visited a beer factory last week and there was not any knowledge and practice of food safety there. It was very shocking. I saw broken glass next to filling machine, cockroaches were running around tanks! Dirty machines. A giant mess! It is a famous beer brand here in Australia. They told me that due to alcohol base drink no food safety is required. It was shocking for me to see these type of factories in Australia!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:26 AM

Hi all,
I have a few questions:

Is a beer factory a low risk or medium risk? I quickly looked that the HACCP flow chart from the internet and they have 2 CCPs which is rinsing bottles and the bottle filler.
Could you please share with me study materials about food safety requirements in beer factory?
Also do you know what is plating out procedure and PCR in beer industry?

To Australian food safety team in this forum: Does beer factory require to follow BRC, Coles or WQA standards? Do they need to comply to these standard in order to sell the beer in Australia?
Thanks in advance,

Hi Quality Assurance,

What are yr preferred criteria for distinguishing between low and high Risk ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Quality-Assurance

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:35 AM

Hi Quality Assurance,

What are yr preferred criteria for distinguishing between low and high Risk ?

I would say low risk is like a fruit packing shed that do not require to have a CCP. It may have few QCPs and a food safety system like SQF. I was thinking that a beer factory should low risk. However medium risk, I would say something like a raw meet factory that do not have a cooking process. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:50 AM

I would say low risk is like a fruit packing shed that do not require to have a CCP. It may have few QCPs and a food safety system like SQF. I was thinking that a beer factory should low risk. However medium risk, I would say something like a raw meet factory that do not have a cooking process. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The above is somewhat "intuitive".

Here is a somewhat more technical suggestion from your Local Authority -

https://www.health.g...dsafety-hygiene

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:09 PM

Hi QA,

From a quick googling, Beer as a product is typically regarded as low risk from a HACCP POV.

The Risk status of the Factory itself may range from Low to High Risk depending on how it is set up with respect to Food Hygiene, GMP, Personnel, etc.

The attached beer extract/haccp plan may be of interest -

Attached File  beer.png   284.64KB   2 downloads

Attached File  haccp plan for beer.doc   6.41MB   32 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Hank Major

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 101 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:14 PM

You all may find better results from your research if you stop using "beer factory" as a search term and use "brewery" instead.

Quality-Assurance

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:41 AM

You all may find better results from your research if you stop using "beer factory" as a search term and use "brewery" instead.

Thanks you.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 July 2019 - 09:10 AM

I would disagree.  I would split apart low risk and high care or high risk on whether or not the product can support the growth of pathogens.  Just because a product can't support growth however, does not mean it would (or should) be produced in a "shed".  So for example, bread would be low risk, crisps would be low risk, flour would be low risk.  All high risk from pest control points of view but low microbiological risk.

What I'm trying to say is there should be a certain "basic standard" of hygiene in any food factory and cockroaches running around aren't it.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 July 2019 - 12:20 PM

I would disagree.  I would split apart low risk and high care or high risk on whether or not the product can support the growth of pathogens.  Just because a product can't support growth however, does not mean it would (or should) be produced in a "shed".  So for example, bread would be low risk, crisps would be low risk, flour would be low risk.  All high risk from pest control points of view but low microbiological risk.

What I'm trying to say is there should be a certain "basic standard" of hygiene in any food factory and cockroaches running around aren't it.

Indeed opinions/definitions do vary. One can find a whole range of scopes for non-"low risk" in the Literature.

The above "red" presumably results in all raw (ie non-RTE) meats being classified as not low risk. I think most haccp (process) plans implicitly disagree with this viewpoint.

it is fortunate that most FS Systems do not include the terminology "Low Care".

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:
GMO

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 July 2019 - 12:51 PM

Indeed opinions/definitions do vary. One can find a whole range of scopes for non-"low risk" in the Literature.

The above "red" presumably results in all raw (ie non-RTE) meats being classified as not low risk. I think most haccp (process) plans implicitly disagree with this viewpoint.

it is fortunate that most FS Systems do not include the terminology "Low Care".

You are of course correct.  I missed out the proviso that it should also be RTE.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users