• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:00 PM

Hi,

We just started using swabs at our facility for environmental monitoring of pathogens. It is pretty pricey and I was wondering how often and how many swabs I should use in a low-risk baking facility. We only manufacture bread and rolls and everything is dry cleaned. Currently we test for salmonella monthly with 15 swab locations and Listeria quarterly with 5 swab locations.

AC2018

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:19 PM

It's all risk based analysis. Looking at locations in your facility that are higher risk areas should be swabbed more often.

I would say that if you have been swabbing 15 sites each month for the past year or so and have not received any positive hits then I would drop your swab count. If you eventually get a positive hit you can always re-evaluate and determine if you feel your company should be swabbing more areas or more frequently. 

Also look at how many of each zone you are swabbing. I would recommend swabbing more zone 2's and less of 3 and 4. 

freshandsafe

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:50 PM

Hi Steven,

Are you cycling through your swab locations or testing the same 15 every month?

-Josh Heinrichs

- Joshua Heinrichs

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:12 PM

Hi,

We just started using swabs at our facility for environmental monitoring of pathogens. It is pretty pricey and I was wondering how often and how many swabs I should use in a low-risk baking facility. We only manufacture bread and rolls and everything is dry cleaned. Currently we test for salmonella monthly with 15 swab locations and Listeria quarterly with 5 swab locations.

It likely depends on for whom/what reason you are implementing the EMPG program ?

eg Based on previous threads here,  USFDA appear to have minimum requirements. And costs.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

FoodSafetyPlanet

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 88 posts
  • 31 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:34 AM

You may also test for water, air and finished product. 

Define a giant list of your testing needs, shop around labs, then reach out to yours. A good lab will understand your position and will work with you. 

Double check your bill for opportunities to save.  Ice packs, couriers, supplies, etc. Some of my clients used to spend $1550/yr on unnecessary, expedited shipping. 

I also recommend vectoring (if you have a history of negatives) and swabbing for indicator organisms instead of pathogens. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users