Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 August 2019 - 12:41 PM

If you are using surveillance systems to watch for malicious tampering, how often are you reviewing the footage, I am not sure the company will hire someone to watch the cameras all day and all night. We are are Dry Bean processing plant that removes dirt and pods before sent off to the next processing site. I am working on upgrading the current system from 12 to 53 cameras we are adding a new warehouse that's under construction. 

Thanks 

wtheriot

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:47 PM

My opinion is that a well written Food Defense plan is your best strategy. Make sure your procedures in place prevent any unauthorized person / product from entering your facility and carry those policies and procedures out. The cameras are only an added layer of verification of those procedures, the cameras alone do nothing to "prevent" tampering. I have one sentence referring to 24/7 surveillance of the plant with cameras, the rest of the plan refers to locked doors, employee badges, entering through main entrances only, alarm system, Inspection of incoming and outgoing shipments, etc...

Cameras are only reviewed as needed to either verify procedures are being followed or in case of suspicious activity. 

Thanked by 3 Members:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,691 posts
  • 1148 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:45 PM

Agree with wtheriot.

Of the clients that have camera monitoring systems, only 1 (which is a very large facility) that has a full time risk department checks the video feeds in real time - most check on a random basis or when there is a potential incident where backup may be needed.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:52 PM

If you are using surveillance systems to watch for malicious tampering, how often are you reviewing the footage, I am not sure the company will hire someone to watch the cameras all day and all night. We are are Dry Bean processing plant that removes dirt and pods before sent off to the next processing site. I am working on upgrading the current system from 12 to 53 cameras we are adding a new warehouse that's under construction. 

Thanks 

53 cameras has a slightly "paranoidal" feel although size/make-up of site is unknown.

From a frequency POV, how long has yr program been running ?

How many observed "malicious" events ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:21 AM

My place has a number of cameras around the site, we do random spot checks but mostly use them in the even of investigation following an incident. With 53 cameras I'd say you'd need several people to cover all of them around the clock, seems a bit unnecessary. I would argue against the point made above that "cameras alone do nothing to "prevent" tampering" - indeed a camera can't physically stop someone tampering but I'd say that the presence of a camera and knowledge of being recorded is likely to significantly reduce the chances of someone maliciously tampering - acting as a deterrent if you will. 

McForman

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:53 AM

Charles,

No Malicious events, I have a old Warehouse with 40 rooms, and two additional plants with 3 rooms each on the grounds and 5 receiving pits outside, plus parking lot and loading docks, I have been running the same food defense plan here for 5 years and just added key code locks to the doors last month, and I don't feel my employees will do anything but you just never know according to the FDA, I did the Food Defense Planer and it came up with accompany unauthorized persons which we do, but what are we suppose to do for internal staff, we do back ground checks, check lockers, and lock all chemicals up its also a dry clean plant? 

Thanks 

53 cameras has a slightly "paranoidal" feel although size/make-up of site is unknown.

From a frequency POV, how long has yr program been running ?

How many observed "malicious" events ?

McForman

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:56 AM

My place has a number of cameras around the site, we do random spot checks but mostly use them in the even of investigation following an incident. With 53 cameras I'd say you'd need several people to cover all of them around the clock, seems a bit unnecessary. I would argue against the point made above that "cameras alone do nothing to "prevent" tampering" - indeed a camera can't physically stop someone tampering but I'd say that the presence of a camera and knowledge of being recorded is likely to significantly reduce the chances of someone maliciously tampering - acting as a deterrent if you will. 

Thanks, That's what I read also 

Charles,

No Malicious events, I have a old Warehouse with 40 rooms, and two additional plants with 3 rooms each on the grounds and 5 receiving pits outside, plus parking lot and loading docks, I have been running the same food defense plan here for 5 years and just added key code locks to the doors last month, and I don't feel my employees will do anything but you just never know according to the FDA, I did the Food Defense Planer and it came up with accompany unauthorized persons which we do, but what are we suppose to do for internal staff, we do back ground checks, check lockers, and lock all chemicals up its also a dry clean plant? 

Thanks 

nd01ken

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:College Sports, Wood Working, MS Access Databases, Software diddling, Coaching Softball, Basketball, and most of all being a father of 4.

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:33 PM

We also have cameras inside and outside of the facility. We have all external cameras on a unit which is set for movement, we have a large TV in the office area which everyone can watch. Key Card system stops everyone at the doors, "Smile your on camera". We review the cameras on the interior as needed.  

McForman

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:54 PM

Thanks, and that is what we currently have in place :spoton:

We also have cameras inside and outside of the facility. We have all external cameras on a unit which is set for movement, we have a large TV in the office area which everyone can watch. Key Card system stops everyone at the doors, "Smile your on camera". We review the cameras on the interior as needed.  

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:13 PM

Hi McForman,

Thks for details.

The thought of ca.40 rooms removing debris from dry beans is indeed somewhat mind-boggling.

I admit having no experience with this product but it sounds like a very low risk process from a haccp POV ?

I do wonder if having cameras "everywhere" reflects a FDA/Management cultural characteristic equally as much as a safeguard to "tampering"?

I could maybe understand an abundance of surveillance if a high risk product or secret process knowledge was involved but (no offence intended) yr description sounds more like a Prison.

PS - I have worked in 2 factories (mainly low risk haccp) which installed cameras with the monitor in the Boss's room. The first became sufficiently boring that it was soon turned off, the second generated a sufficiently negative worker response that the night shift blacked out all the lenses causing abandonment of the project.. I don't recall any malicious product tampering though.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

McForman

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:26 PM

Charles,

Yes I agree, it would be like a prison and yes we are low risk process no CCP just CP's, that's why I posted the question I like to hear everyone's thoughts, and have learned that the program I already have in place is still a great plan, and processing only takes place in 3 rooms per processing line the rest are storage areas.

Thanks. 

Hi McForman,

Thks for details.

The thought of ca.40 rooms removing debris from dry beans is indeed somewhat mind-boggling.

I admit having no experience with this product but it sounds like a very low risk process from a haccp POV ?

I do wonder if having cameras "everywhere" reflects a FDA/Management cultural characteristic equally as much as a safeguard to "tampering"?

I could maybe understand an abundance of surveillance if a high risk product or secret process knowledge was involved but (no offence intended) yr description sounds more like a Prison.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:55 PM

Charles,

Yes I agree, it would be like a prison and yes we are low risk process no CCP just CP's, that's why I posted the question I like to hear everyone's thoughts, and have learned that the program I already have in place is still a great plan, and processing only takes place in 3 rooms per processing line the rest are storage areas.

Thanks. 

Hi McForman,

Maybe should add one tag - Great for USA/FDA.

Rest of the World are welcome to agree/disagree of course.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users