• Quick Navigation
Photo

Professionals, what's your 'can't turn it off' story?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic
- - - - -

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 62 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 September 2019 - 03:49 PM

I'm sure, like me, many of you have had moments when eating out or when seeing a food establishment on TV that give you pause or make you cringe.   Share your story here!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Plastic Ducky

Director of Food Safety

• IFSQN Member
  • 175 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:FDA, USDA, SQF, BRC, FSMA, FSM (Flying Spaghetti Monsterism), Acidified Foods, LAFC, using a spotlight to hunt C.H.U.D.s at night, cooking, mycology, the middle path, epistemology, waffles, and being an all around student

Posted 30 September 2019 - 04:35 PM

Driving to work and seeing some jack-ass at the damn bus stop wearing his apron! 

Like hey, you can put that on after you get to the restaurant you know!!!!! 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 30 September 2019 - 05:31 PM

Watching two counter employees at a Starbucks at ATL while awaiting a flight.

1. Female employee - picked her nose and then proceeded to redistribute the lemon curd topping on a danish for a customer .... with the same finger.

2. Male employee - customer asks for a chocolate donut with a gooey white icing on top... puts his hand down his pants, scratches his butt a couple of times and then bare-hands the donut to the customer.

And people wonder why I don't like Starbucks!

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 30 September 2019 - 05:51 PM

A person picking something off the floor and then not changing their gloves. The apron one bugs me too and I see it all the time especially if they are going on a smoke break.

As for on TV - there have been many articles written on this.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 30 September 2019 - 05:53 PM

Hairnets not worn by servers on fresh food counters in grocery stores (supermarkets).

Annoying when employees working in food packaging businesses have to. :dunno:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

FoodSafetyPlanet

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 88 posts
  • 31 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 October 2019 - 04:16 AM

Ooo, I want to play!

-Dented cans for sale in the clearance bin
-Employees working the cash register with gloves on
-Strange smells and ceiling stains

Thanked by 1 Member:

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:46 PM

Tea towels at other peoples' houses  :rolleyes:

Always one or two hung up somewhere in the kitchen. They live a life that goes something like: Handle raw chicken, turn on tap to wash hands, touch same tap to turn it off, dry hands on tea towel, hang it up to fester for a while, wash some produce and dry using the same towel, hang to fester again, maybe dry some plates and glasses with it before using them to serve food/drink, wipe a side or two to accrue some food residues (got to provide nourishment for all the lovely bacteria that now live on it...), repeat for an indefinite period of days using the same towel. Horrid damp things passing endless bacteria back and forth between pretty much everything in the kitchen :headhurts:    :uhm:

Thanked by 1 Member:

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:00 PM

Always one or two hung up somewhere in the kitchen. They live a life that goes something like: Handle raw chicken, turn on tap to wash hands, touch same tap to turn it off, dry hands on tea towel, hang it up to fester for a while, wash some produce and dry using the same towel, hang to fester again, maybe dry some plates and glasses with it before using them to serve food/drink, wipe a side or two to accrue some food residues (got to provide nourishment for all the lovely bacteria that now live on it...), repeat for an indefinite period of days using the same towel. Horrid damp things passing endless bacteria back and forth between pretty much everything in the kitchen :headhurts:    :uhm:

That is why I have two towels in my kitchen at all times - one for drying my hands, the other for drying dishes. I always know which one is which by the location of the towel. For better and sometimes worse, my food safety hat is never off like most people on this site. :gleam:

Thanked by 1 Member:

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 62 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:27 PM

That is why I have two towels in my kitchen at all times - one for drying my hands, the other for drying dishes. I always know which one is which by the location of the towel. For better and sometimes worse, my food safety hat is never off like most people on this site. :gleam:

Do you have an SOP for towel segregation?  Are you color coding?  :) 

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 October 2019 - 02:38 PM

Do you have an SOP for towel segregation?  Are you color coding?  :) 

No SOP but I have instructed individuals on my policy. I am not color coding - I determined based upon observation that it adds for potential error.  :cheezy:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 October 2019 - 03:00 PM

You guys use cloth towels for drying hands and dishes???

Hmmm.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 01 October 2019 - 03:05 PM

You guys use cloth towels for drying hands and dishes???

Hmmm.

^My respect for this gentleman continues to increase :shades:

Treat yourselves to a bulk pack of blue paper towel rolls ;)

Thanked by 1 Member:

arahman

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 75 posts
  • 27 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 October 2019 - 05:30 PM

Oh no! I have to now seriously think about my tea towels at home. I can't believe I dont have ANY SOP for that. 

Also very grossed out by the Starbucks story:(

LDG_Honey

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 14 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:47 PM

I witnessed a cook at a restaurant that had to wear a hair net and a beard snood on his chin and jaw, but nothing on the upper lip.

The guy was sporting a full muttonchop...

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:39 PM

"Open Plan", multiple, cake display counters. An invitation to daily horror shows.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 October 2019 - 01:01 AM

Oh no! I have to now seriously think about my tea towels at home. I can't believe I dont have ANY SOP for that. 

Also very grossed out by the Starbucks story:(

Yes, that was a top ten.

The maintenance man running thru the biscuit factory shooting a pellet gun at a bird ranks up there too!  What a life we have in this industry, the things you will see! 

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

karina.j

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 26 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:22 AM

pizza prep staff at one of the retailers chewing gum every single time I see her, when the retailer give us silly non-conformances and unreasoneable requirements during the audits

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:42 PM

1. Performed a co-packer audit, at which facility the manager maintained an office approximately 10 feet from the production room where he was openly and HEAVILY smoking.  Every surface in the office was yellow and smoke was wafting out of his open office door into the warehouse. 

2. I always inspect bathrooms when I go to a new restaurant.  Dirty bathrooms lose my business and also give me nightmares. 

3. I also got onto my husband the other day for allowing the fruit strainer he was using for my toddler's breakfast to come in contact with the sink drain.   :dunno:  Don't feel sorry for him - he knew what he married!   :lol:

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:27 AM

Went to a fast-food chain once, lady was at the cash register. Other employees were processing orders as slow as humanly possible, so she turns around, puts on some poly gloves and starts making an order. No hand washing, just finished touching all this money (and the register), then contaminated the gloves and the food. Once she finished the order, she threw away the gloves, and went back to handling money.

This is why I try NOT to watch food preparation, as I'd like to enjoy eating my food.

Andy_Yellows

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 201 posts
  • 37 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Football, Dr Pepper

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:21 AM

Chinese restaurant a few years ago- the waitress had a stinking cold and could barely get her words out as she asked us for our order. Brought the food out and genuinely wiped her Rudolph-red nose on her left sleeve which happened to have either mine or my partner's dish in the hand next to it. Makes me dread to think what sh was getting up to behind closed doors that night!

I also was led through the kitchen of the Chinese takeaway next door to my friends' house a few weeks ago as they thought I was the neighbour and they wanted to ask me to get my (their) dog to stop barking at the owner when he goes on the roof to clean it. Saw a bucket of sloppy discoloured chicken on the floor and pointed asking 'do you always keep that here?' and the man just went 'its chicken'.  :doh:

Having said that it takes a fair amount to frighten me off a bit of chow mein and hoi sin duck!

On the Ball, City

Leila Burin

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 154 posts
  • 45 thanks
Excellent

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 03 October 2019 - 02:29 PM

Just last week when paying at the supermarket, the lady at the cash register dropped a package of cookies and when I told her that "now I don't want it because it fell to the floor" she replies: "There is no problem,  it's wrapped"

:helpplease:

Leila

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:15 PM

Just last week when paying at the supermarket, the lady at the cash register dropped a package of cookies and when I told her that "now I don't want it because it fell to the floor" she replies: "There is no problem,  it's wrapped"

:helpplease:

Leila

I watched a cashier at a national fast food chain drop my hamburger on the floor, pick it up, and put it back in the bag.  When I confronted her, she too ensured me that "It's fine - it was wrapped".  :headhurts:

Plastic Ducky

Director of Food Safety

• IFSQN Member
  • 175 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:FDA, USDA, SQF, BRC, FSMA, FSM (Flying Spaghetti Monsterism), Acidified Foods, LAFC, using a spotlight to hunt C.H.U.D.s at night, cooking, mycology, the middle path, epistemology, waffles, and being an all around student

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:10 PM

Bro, I am just a Texas red neck, but this post was awesome to read. I have no idea what a tea towel is, but if you ever move to Provo Utah USA let me know because I dig your style.

Sincerely,

Plastic Ducky

PollyKBD

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 October 2019 - 03:01 PM

Years ago- 

Looked into the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant to see a cigarette butt hanging out of the mouth of the cook, while cooking, with an ash as long as the cigarette used to be. I didn't know whether to be grossed out or impressed. 

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:15 AM

Bro, I am just a Texas red neck, but this post was awesome to read. I have no idea what a tea towel is, but if you ever move to Provo Utah USA let me know because I dig your style.

Sincerely,

Plastic Ducky

Ha, thanks :biggrin:

Tea towels are a hideous invention. Small cotton towels that are theoretically used for drying glasses, plates, cutlery etc after washing, but in practice they're a perfect micro vector masquerading as a soggy rag ;)

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users