• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:13 PM

Looking for some advice-

We had a quality surveilance audit and our auditor suggested that our internal audits be done monthly for the SQF system, such as one or two codes audited per month, and then the yearly management review is a line item of each code with a sign-off/changes made.

Is it really that simple? I feel like every year I have run into some sort of issue with management review.

thanks!

arahman

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 75 posts
  • 27 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:28 PM

Couple of years ago when i used to work at a company that was BRC certified, we did internal audits based on risk assessments.. e.g. PM, Supplier Approval and Monitoring e.t.c maybe twice a year, specification, pest control, intern audit itself e.t.c once a year.. but scheduling a few internal audits per month till all of the section were covered at least once annually. We would create schedule of the list of internal audits to be conducted at the beginning of the audit year and have that along with the completed set of internal audits (CAPAs included) as part of our management review.

I can't speak for SQF personally though 

Fred73

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 76 posts
  • 23 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:SQFI certified consultant, PCQI, FSVP-QI, IAVA-QI, FS-CP & CCFS. I enjoy analyzing problems in the FS field, solving it and learning in the process.

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:30 PM

The code does not state how you have to do it, only says that have to be done 1 a year, it is your program and have to comply with the standard. You could do one or two items (programs) by month and be sure to complete all in a 12 month period and yes that usually work better, then management review mean upper management have to be involved during the review, you can do this monthly or conducting a yearly SQF mock audit (you hit all your programs) and doing the review with upper management then, it is your program and you will find what work best for you, just remember you decide how to do it, mention this in your policies, do it and document it.

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:45 PM

We treated it the same as 2.5.2: Created a schedule for all system elements to be audited, divided by 12 months (Modules 2 and 13) listed with responsibility for each item.

We identified a MAJOR deficiency left from the previous SQF practitioner in charge of the program. Upper management, 4 owners including the President, had absolutely no idea how the program looked or functioned NOR that they had responsibility for Food Safety even though they were listed as such on the Org Chart and had been involved in 3 previous Management Review meetings. We immediately started having quarterly Management Review meetings and between the QM and myself started at the most basic information and pulled them through it all showing every detail as well as covering all necessary required components of Management Review. At the end of the first year we asked if they wanted to move back to annual meetings and they unanimously and emphatically declined wanting to be more involved and informed and keeping the quarterly meetings indefinitely. It has dramatically strengthened our Food Safety efforts and tightened up all aspects of the organization.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:57 PM

Looking for some advice-

We had a quality surveilance audit and our auditor suggested that our internal audits be done monthly for the SQF system, such as one or two codes audited per month, and then the yearly management review is a line item of each code with a sign-off/changes made.

Is it really that simple? I feel like every year I have run into some sort of issue with management review.

thanks!

I'm not as familiar with SQA but with BRC making a change to saying it cannot be done all on one day (it must be spread out over at least 4 days from memory) I suspect in the long term all GFSI will go the same way.  The benefit is that sometimes you pick up other things outside of the clause you're auditing, so it's effectively more thorough over the year.  You go into each section in more depth and any improvement programme stemming from that is spread out over the whole year so is more achievable.  You may also decide to increase the frequency on some sections, e.g. covering HACCP twice or allergens more than once if you process a lot.  I don't doubt though that a practice audit for sites not used to it would add value but IMO this should be in addition to your audits throughout the year.

Cin5130

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:58 PM

The code states that Management Review (2.1.3 ) must be completed monthly and it also states what needs to be included. I take the information from these monthly reviews and add my validations and this becomes my annual management review. It also requires an annual review of the entire SQF System. You can do one or two codes a month as long as you get through all the codes in a year.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 October 2019 - 03:36 PM

Excerpt from SQF Ed 8 System Elements for Manufacture of Food Packaging Guidance Document:

"The SQF System shall be reviewed and update changes communicated (at a minimum) monthly to senior site management as part of the review of all operational activities. Additionally, a full review of the SQF System must be completed annually by senior management.
What do I have to do?
This element is mandatory. This (at a minimum) annual review, including monthly updates for site management, shall include the policies outlined in company’s policy statement, findings from the regularly scheduled internal and external audits, customer complaints, test records, deviation reports and outcomes of corrective actions."

So it's actually both, Annual review including monthly updates - citing them as two different actions so, in essence I think we're all saying the same thing. I'm just happy they finally released a guidance document for Ed 8 almost a year after they released and started auditing it. As always, it's what works best for you and satisfies the requirements of the code.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users