• Quick Navigation
Photo

Documentation Control when revising documents

Share this

Best Answer , 05 November 2019 - 12:47 PM

Hi Mary,

I don't see why you would go back to revision 0 if you already have the documents in place. If your documents need revision prior to your new audit, you would assign a new revision number with updated date of edit. For documents where processes haven't changed, you should still put in a review date for your recent review, as you should be reviewing procedures annually for updates. If you have documents that are new to the current BRC issue, then you would start with Revision 0.

Also, if your procedures include a BRC clause reference, be sure that the reference in your previously made documents matches the clause for the current BRC revision. 

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic
- - - - -

MaryTee

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:13 AM

Hi

Kindly advise, our factory will be audited as a new site because it has been 3 years since our previous audit. I am compiling the BRC documents for the manual and checklists. My question is, should I change my Issue date to the current year of the audit and use revision 0 (Treat it as a completely new document) or can I continue with the old Issue date and just change my revision as I edit the document.

I have the previous documents which are from the last audit in 2015, which I intend to revise. My thought was to keep the same issue date and change the revision number. But since we would be audited as a new site, would it still  be correct?

"confused"

I hope you understand my question.

Mary

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:47 PM   Best Answer

Hi Mary,

I don't see why you would go back to revision 0 if you already have the documents in place. If your documents need revision prior to your new audit, you would assign a new revision number with updated date of edit. For documents where processes haven't changed, you should still put in a review date for your recent review, as you should be reviewing procedures annually for updates. If you have documents that are new to the current BRC issue, then you would start with Revision 0.

Also, if your procedures include a BRC clause reference, be sure that the reference in your previously made documents matches the clause for the current BRC revision. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:24 PM

I suppose the choice might also relate to the results of the previous BRC audit ? (Before your time apparently?)

There are surely some clause changes in 3 years as commented post 2 ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Aliali

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:00 AM

I would put a new version number and the issue date to demonstrate that you have reviewed the procedure, even there was no change in the procedure. It is good to outline the last review date of the procedure. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Quality & Food Safety

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:15 PM

Dear Mary,

I would advise that prior to your next audit you complete internal audits (reviews) of all your documents to ensure that they are congruent with the requirements of BRC and they reflect the actual processes that are taking place at your facility, additionally they must be up to the latest regulatory compliance requirements. 

Under the assumption that you're simply resurrecting the documents, I would push the audit out a bit (depending on when it is) to complete things such as:

-Training

-Management Review

-Any forms that may have been created for any of the sections

-Internal Audits

-HACCP Review

Even if all documents match the Clauses perfectly there needs to be a demonstration of adherence and continuous improvement to the program. 

Wish you the best!

ilonar

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 45 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:36 AM

Hi Mary,

I would first compare the handbook with the requirements of BRC version 8, as your last audit was against the old version. So you will have to create new forms and maybe also procedures. For everything that you create as a new form/procedure/ working instruction/map I would give version 0/xx.xx.2019 and whenever you update an existing document then it would be version n+1/xx.xx.2019. You have to see the entire handbook as an ongoing process. The fact that you are not audited against a standard doesn't mean that your HACCP plan with risk assessment is never updated (it is a regulatory requirement to have a HACCP plan), as you probably have identified new risks since your last external audit. Also I'm quite sure that the cleaning schedule/procedure or list with breakable items must have changed in the last 3 years,due to investment in new equipment or in the building. Auditors are happy to see when documents are already at version 10, because that shows that whenever a change occurs, the handbook is kept updated. When you do the internal audit (watch out, this is planned now 4 times/year) and management review, you will also validate the HACCP plan and procedures.  

MaryTee

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:39 AM

Hi

Thank you for the advice and I am currently on it, I will only schedule the audit when my documents are in order as I have to update from where the previous manager left off in 2016,meaning I will be very active on this group :ejut:.

You lost me on continuous improvement, May you kindly give me examples. Its probably happening but I'm not sure if I can label it as continuous improvement.

Thanks.

MaryTee

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:48 AM

Hi Mary,

I would first compare the handbook with the requirements of BRC version 8, as your last audit was against the old version. So you will have to create new forms and maybe also procedures. For everything that you create as a new form/procedure/ working instruction/map I would give version 0/xx.xx.2019 and whenever you update an existing document then it would be version n+1/xx.xx.2019. You have to see the entire handbook as an ongoing process. The fact that you are not audited against a standard doesn't mean that your HACCP plan with risk assessment is never updated (it is a regulatory requirement to have a HACCP plan), as you probably have identified new risks since your last external audit. Also I'm quite sure that the cleaning schedule/procedure or list with breakable items must have changed in the last 3 years,due to investment in new equipment or in the building. Auditors are happy to see when documents are already at version 10, because that shows that whenever a change occurs, the handbook is kept updated. When you do the internal audit (watch out, this is planned now 4 times/year) and management review, you will also validate the HACCP plan and procedures.  

Hi

Thank you. I am working with the BRC-Global Standard for Packaging and Packaging Materials. The factory prints self adhesive labels. So the last audit was Issue 4. I know Issue 6 is out however only got the checklist and not the standard itself. I have asked for a copy to no avail. I am currently working on the risk assessment as the factory has actually gone renovations so new risks have been identified.Its a lot of work but thanks to this forum I am moving toward the right direction and should be ready by next year. If you have a copy of the Issue 6 it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

ilonar

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 45 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:54 AM

Does this mean that since the previous manager left in 2016 and until now, there was nobody doing this job? I mean updating the HACCP plan? That you didn't have any visits from regulatory agencies and clients asking to see the HACCP plan, hygiene rules, cleaning records, label confirmation system, etc.? as an example, whenever we buy/rent a new equipment, I have to update at least: cleaning schedule, list with breakable items, check for the start-up of the line, make working instruction, train operator, train cleaning employee, make sure that I have all documents for the equipment (food contact declaration, EC compatibility) and probbaly new packaging material, check if there are no new risks for the HACCP plan that I have to take in  consideration, validate the use of the new equipment.  but if nothing was done in the last 2-3 years, just leave it like that and continue with what you can find. BRC has a very good interpretation guideline, just follow that for the Handbook. 

ilonar

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 45 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:58 AM

Sorry, i thought you were with Food, but now I see it is Packaging. make an account on BRC Participate, you can find a lot of information there, including the standard and often an interpretation guideline.  

MaryTee

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:06 AM

Sorry, i thought you were with Food, but now I see it is Packaging. make an account on BRC Participate, you can find a lot of information there, including the standard and often an interpretation guideline.  

Yes, its actually indirect contact basic hygiene category. The system was being implemented but the documentation is very behind. Il make an account with the BRC participate and take it from there. Thank you for your time. Il definitely ask when I get lost again.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users