Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:39 PM

I'm putting together a general SQF and regulatory training, and I'm hoping to easily get employees to understand SQF specifically and how FSMA relates.

What drives demand for SQF vs. other GFSI recognized bodies?

Is there list that covers the gaps between SQF certification and FSMA compliance?

What are some common questions you've had auditors ask employees that you feel could have been answered better?

Thanks for your input!

#2 pHruit

pHruit

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 660 posts
  • 271 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:39 AM

A mix of regional and customer preference - SQF seems to be significantly more prevalent in the US, but that may be because the US retailers / major brands have a preference for SQF. In the UK we see the same effect with BRC.

What are some common questions you've had auditors ask employees that you feel could have been answered better?

Honestly the biggest issue we have, even with well trained employees, is the "I'm going to panic because the auditor is asking me a question" problem - I've seen people instantly forget things that they know well enough to recite / do in their sleep.

I guess it's a bit like the panic that afflicts a lot of people when they sit and exam in school.

Is there list that covers the gaps between SQF certification and FSMA compliance?

I'm not intricately familiar with SQF, but is there not a requirement for compliance with local regulations (e.g. FSMA in the US) inherent in the standard?

#3 Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 15,954 posts
  • 4393 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:24 AM

I'm putting together a general SQF and regulatory training, and I'm hoping to easily get employees to understand SQF specifically and how FSMA relates.

Thanks for your input!

IIRC Acheson have published a comparison such as you mention and which is posted on this forum (somewhere).

IIRC SQF equalled or exceeded all (or perhaps nearly all) the fizz requirements. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

#4 FurFarmandFork

FurFarmandFork

QA Manager/FS Blogger

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,103 posts
  • 502 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted Yesterday, 04:59 PM

I'm not intricately familiar with SQF, but is there not a requirement for compliance with local regulations (e.g. FSMA in the US) inherent in the standard?

Yes. So the whole "gap analysis" between the two is kind of silly. However, SQF auditors are not good at evaluating regulatory requirements, the audits pretty much stick to the SQF code.

QA Manager and food safety blogger in Oregon, USA.

Interested in more information on food safety and science? Check out Furfarmandfork.com for more insights!

Subscribe to have one post per week delivered straight to your inbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

EV SSL Certificate