Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 76 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:55 AM

Hi everyone, we have inhouse testing Product Water Activity for finished products as CCP and would like to a validation for this CCP. However, I don't know how to approach this validation. Could anyone please advise?

Thanks.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:16 AM

Hi everyone, we have inhouse testing Product Water Activity for finished products as CCP and would like to a validation for this CCP. However, I don't know how to approach this validation. Could anyone please advise?

Thanks.

Hi maylao,

I note your query is within SQF context. Please be aware that despite SQF Code's stated adherence to Codex, the former's interpretation of Validation is sometimes "quirky".  I present below the, afaik, Codex (2008) viewpoint.

Some knowledge of yr product/process is required.

Depending on the context there are a variety of possible approaches for (haccp) "Validation". The preferred method may depend on the specific context.

A (haccp) CCP is typically associated with a control measure. You need to validate the control measure which usually also requires validating the associated Critical Limit(s). Some examples -

Validation: 

The  competent  authority  established  the  need  for  control  measure(s)  that  achieve  a  specified  log reduction in pathogenic Escherichia coli. [eg the need for a CCP at the relevant process step]

The validation process indicated that industry could consistently achieve a specified log reduction through (a) ensuring a specific decrease in pH during fermentation and (b) a specific decrease in water activity during maturation, coupled with (c) ensuring that the raw materials have less than a specified level of pathogenic E. coli based on statistically-based microbiological testing.

if water activity must be controlled in a product to prevent growth of Staphylococcus aureus, then validation can be achieved by demonstrating that the water activity of the product under expected conditions of storage and distribution will be equal to or less than the specified water activity.

The general options are detailed here -

Attached File  Guidelines for Validation of Food Safety Measures.pdf   206.82KB   108 downloads

Edited by Charles.C, 11 November 2019 - 04:31 AM.
added

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Cathysmith

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:41 AM