• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is outsourced packing considered contract manufacturing under SQF?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

kdiamond2011

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:18 PM

Hi Everyone,

We are looking to use an external company to pack our packaged bars into cartons. Would this external company fall under the contract manufacturer section of the SQF code? They are not producing our product, they are only putting the packaged bars into cartons and sealing the cartons shut. 

Thank you for your help!

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:29 PM

Yes, as far as I know, contract manufacturer. Considering the fact that they are PRIMARILY packaging (from what I understood) your product. So you need to make sure of all their operations. 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,630 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:15 PM

they are a service (contract) provider and not a contract manufacturer.  Contract manufactuer woud make the product and pack it.  

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

AC2018

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:26 PM

We do this exact work for large companies, they send us their goods already produced and sealed and we simply package them in the designated case packs/assortments. These companies do not require any information from us in regards to SQF, BRC, food safety docs., etc. However, we also pack open goods into final packaging for large customers whom then require to see our certifications and food safety documents. I believe this scenario is more of the contract manufacture like what SQFconsultant said. 

So in conclusion, if you are sending your packaged goods to someone to be put into a box and sealed I would not consider that a contract manufacturer. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ken Bookmyer

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:48 PM

We do this exact work for large companies, they send us their goods already produced and sealed and we simply package them in the designated case packs/assortments. These companies do not require any information from us in regards to SQF, BRC, food safety docs., etc. However, we also pack open goods into final packaging for large customers whom then require to see our certifications and food safety documents. I believe this scenario is more of the contract manufacture like what SQFconsultant said. 

So in conclusion, if you are sending your packaged goods to someone to be put into a box and sealed I would not consider that a contract manufacturer. 

I agree I would not consider them a contract manufacturer (I also would not consider you a contract manufacturer if you were packing designated sealed packages for me. I would say that I think the companies that are not requiring information from you are not following code. You are a contractor for them. They should have at least a copy of whatever certification you are required to have. If we have to have certifications from our contractors like plumber and electricians then certainly they should be requiring them from you.  At least that would be my interpretation of SQF code. 

AC2018

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:58 PM

Agreed! If the roles were reversed I would be asking for certification as well. If they ask for it, then I will provide it to them. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users