Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:41 PM

I am new to this business and am struggling - all of my years (30) have been in the meat business. I work with chocolate, bakery/pastry, and gelato now. Our company is "smallish" but growing leaps and bounds. I was hired to create preventive controls/CCP's and prepare us for GFSI-SQF.  I want to make sure I assign the proper microbiological assets to the hazard analysis. Does anyone have information for web searches, web information, or an example preventive controls/haccp/ccp/hazard analysis program from a chocolate manufacturer (ganache filled chocolates, solid chocolates, enrobed chocolate process), bakery/pastry (bread, cakes, muffins, pies), and gelato?  I currently have water activity and metal detection for chocolate, nothing for bakery/pastry because I have no idea what to assign in there, and time/temperature for gelato. Wow! this business is more complicated than I ever imagined!  Thank you for any advice or help at all!  

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:51 PM

Is there an exisiting HACCP plan or is this all new, as in building from scratch?

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Chocolate11380

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:00 PM

totally building from scratch. zero on bakery/pastry and there was a "skeleton" of information for the chocolate - meaning we have metal detection because a customer told us to and just from reading and researching I know water activity will be important in this process (water is the enemy).  Gelato I'm "comfortable" with since it is pretty much dictated by the PMO. The other 2 have my heading spinning. Just want to make sure I get it right.  

BostonCream

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 72 posts
  • 22 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:28 PM

Just come through another thread about bakery. My background is not in bakery/dairy either. I try to know more categories from this forum by reading what others' experience are.

CCP of bakery would be metal detection (for sure) and heat treatment (debatable, see this link https://www.ifsqn.co...-or-remove-ccp/ ). 

For gelato, I assume aW would be an CCP (microbial-wise), as well as fat percentage (regulatory) and metal detection in packed product?

Will keep checking this thread to see others' opinions.

Edited by BostonCream, 02 December 2019 - 09:30 PM.

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,053 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:30 PM

Appendix 1 - https://www.fda.gov/.../99581/download - This shows the hazards. Your CCPs will be how you can control them.

When we had our recent FDA inspection - this guide is what the inspector referenced for our ingredients and hazards. This also references finished products.

If you haven't taken the PCQI course, I highly recommend you do so. Even though with your experience, it wouldn't be required. The in person class allows you to ask questions.

Edited by kfromNE, 02 December 2019 - 09:31 PM.

Chocolate11380

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:54 PM

Yes, just finished the PCQI course. Very informative and very different than USDA HACCP.  All of your input is extremely helpful!   

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users