• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 December 2019 - 04:24 PM

Hi All, 

I was hoping someone could advise the food safety limits in cooling for frozen dessert. Currently we freeze to -18C within 6 hours but im not sure where this limit comes from. Also it is not always practical to be able to measure the temperature at the 6 hours period. I was hoping that we could record temperature after 2 hours and show an achieved temperature. 

Would some please advice where the 6 hours to reach -18oC would come from.

Many Thanks,

T

dstout

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 8 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Micro, chemistry, food safety, regulations

Posted 19 December 2019 - 08:46 PM

Hi T,

It would depend on the interior matrix and how quickly you can prove the core temperature is brought down quickly enough. This is of course based on the type of material, density and size. I would perform core temperature studies at intervals that make sense, check it every half hour or if it's a large enough freezer ever 15 minutes. Then document this over several days until you have some historical data to prove when the core temperature is past the limits you have set. If you have varying products make sure to do this for each one as well, documentation for justification is key.

The six hour -18 degree C could be a result of a previous study or may have been found in reference material, or what we all hate to hear - well that's what we've always done. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 December 2019 - 02:30 AM

Hi All, 

I was hoping someone could advise the food safety limits in cooling for frozen dessert. Currently we freeze to -18C within 6 hours but im not sure where this limit comes from. Also it is not always practical to be able to measure the temperature at the 6 hours period. I was hoping that we could record temperature after 2 hours and show an achieved temperature. 

Would some please advice where the 6 hours to reach -18oC would come from.

Many Thanks,

T

Hi T,

I suspect yr "rule" comes from outside UK. Here are two UK comments -

While it is advised that food should be cooled from 60°C to 10°C in less than 4 hours, and then stored under refrigeration at 5°C or cooler, it is widely accepted good practice that rapid cooling from 60°C to 10°C in less than 90 minutes is preferable.

For cook-chill production there are specific requirements for the cooking, cooling, storage, transport and reheating of products. A specific HACCP system would need to be developed and implemented to cover the temperature requirements for this type of food production. Food that has been cooked and is going to be chilled down and then reheated must be:

• cooked thoroughly to a core temperature of 75°C (for 30 seconds) to destroy pathogens

• cool rapidly to 5°C (within 90 minutes) to prevent the germination of bacterial spores and subsequent bacterial growth – using blast chiller or ice baths/cold running water

• store food between 0°C and 5°C

https://app.croneri....dstuffs/indepth

It is possible yr "rule" is (vaguely) ex-USDA, eg -

https://www.canr.msu...acterial_growth

(60degC) >>[time a]>> (21.1degC) >>[time b]>>> (<=5degC)

a = <2hrs, b = <4 hrs

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users