• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to demarcate AIB & SQF controlled areas?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

SQFPKevin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:02 PM

Hi All,

We are an SQF level 2 packaging facility. We handle direct and indirect food contact products. We are currently looking at leasing additional space to store only finished goods (Approx 20k sqft.). The facility itself is 100k sqft. and is AIB certified.  

My question is; will we need a physical barrier (ie. wall) between the AIB and SQF declared areas? Would just a fence work? There is a pest program in place, floors walls and ceiling are in great shape, dock doors are new & that is all from their last AIB audit.

The work that is being done in the AIB certified area does not produce anything hazardous, its actually in a similar industry to what we will be doing in the SQF zone. Obviously cost is always an issue, so I am open to all suggestions. Section 13.6 of edition 8.1 helps, but I wanted to see what opinions I could find on here. Also remember, we will not be doing any manufacturing here, it will simply be for storage of finished goods.

Caveat - We do not want to certify the entire building under SQF!

Thanks in advance.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:44 PM

Couple of things first -

Level 2 went out about 2+ years ago and the AIB thing is a 3rd party audit, at is not a certification.

With that out of the way - your storage facility must conform to the requirements of SQF as your main facility is required to do and the storage building does not go under your certification nor is it a separate certification, it is only an additional storage facility.

As to fencing, you will need something to delineate the different areas to prevent cross-over, comingling, etc. be it a wall, fence, yellow paint strips on the floor etc - there can be no impact on the storage side from the other side.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

SQFPKevin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for the reply, Glenn.

I'm unclear of what you mean by "level 2 went out about 2+ years ago."

If I understand the rest correctly, as long as we abide by SQF guidelines and conform to the code within the painted stripe or however we designate the area, then there technically is no need for a physical barrier? As long as we can prove that the two operations can co-exist without any crossover. This facility will also be on the same audit schedule as our main plant. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:40 AM

If I understand the rest correctly, as long as we abide by SQF guidelines and conform to the code within the painted stripe or however we designate the area, then there technically is no need for a physical barrier? As long as we can prove that the two operations can co-exist without any crossover. This facility will also be on the same audit schedule as our main plant. 

The name SQF level 2 ceased to exist ca.2 years ago ??

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

tezza07

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

It's no longer referred to as SQF Level 2. They are split into different programs now (Fundamentals Program, Food Safety Program, Quality Program, etc.).

We used to use an outside storage company to store our goods who did not have food safety certification, and previous auditors were satisfied with us conducting our own annual documented physical inspection/audit of their facility to ensure it meets standards in the absence of their own certification. Any deficiencies identified at the time of the audit we instituted documented corrective actions to mitigate or control the risk. They had a dedicated section of the warehouse that was used only for our product, so there was no comingling with other customer's products.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:54 PM

The name SQF level 2 ceased to exist ca.2 years ago ??

SQFI stopped referring to the levels 1-2-3 -- the programs did not change, only the terminology, sorry for causing alarm or anyone thinking my head dropped out for a moment.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:01 PM

the terms: Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 are no longer in use - the programs are, the terminology has changed.

You did not indicate what you have on the other side, so it may be as simple as paoting a separation down the middle or you may need a physical barrier - regardless, if you had a way of penetrating from the SQF side to the other side that other side is subject to inspection as well.

My clients that use off-site storage do so in dedicated areas - meaning a physical barrier wall is constructed between units and thus the "other side" does not get inspected.

If however ingress/egress the SQF side is required to be thru the other side - the entire area is subject to code.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:46 PM

To my knowledge, SQF would require you to determine what is adequate separation. Your risk assessment investigation should identify all potential hazards, their potential impact and the severity of the impact. If a simple painted line and training for all involved personnel satisfies and reduces the risk to an acceptable level, document it and review it after any changes or annually to make sure it's all still relevant. The other area doesn't need to be SQF, it just has to pose no hazard to your product / operation higher than you will tolerate. I assume you are modules 2 & 11? Make sure you comply with and can prove 11.1 and especially all of 11.2 or make sure you have a sealed separation between the two.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users