• 2 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:29 PM

so i noticed something weird.

on page 9 of the BRC issue 8 it says

As an aid to this process, the requirements within the Standard have been colour-coded. Colour-coding shows the activities that
would usually be audited as part of the assessment of the production areas and facilities, and those that would form part of an
audit of records, systems and documentation.

Key to colour-coding of requirements

Audit of production facilities and good manufacturing practice   (beside this is an orangeish color)
Audit of records, systems and documentation                            (beside this is an greenish color)
Requirements assessed in both                                                  (besides this is the 2 colors)

if you go to section 4.7 - Maintenance 

item 4.7.1 says

There shall be a documented planned maintenance schedule or condition monitoring system which
includes all plant and processing equipment. The maintenance requirements shall be defined when
commissioning new equipment.

but the color is oramgeish, why is this not green and orange. obviously this needs a DOCUMENTED SCHEDULE and this schedule needs to be audited against the actual activities on site.

if required documentation is sometimes not marked by greenish it loses all its meaning in my opinion. does anyone have any idea what BRC justification for this? 

Thanked by 2 Members:

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:50 PM

I see where you're coming from, though my guess would be that 4.7.1. would be assessed during the "tour" part of the audit, in the maintenance department/office if applicable, rather than in the documentation audit in the board room/office. Personally I interpret the colours more as either factory tour or office based aka interrogation of Technical   :rolleyes:

ClareW

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:44 AM

According to BRC v8 Interpretation for Clause 4.7.1, it means "Documented maintenance schedule. There must be a documented planned maintenance schedule or condition monitoring system in place for all

items of plant and processing equipment relevant to the production of food. When commissioning new equipment and plant, a documented maintenance programme must be established. This should be based on risk assessment and information supplied by the equipment manufacturer or supplier (e.g. planned preventive maintenance, recommended maintenance checks and frequencies)."

I would agree with Zanorias, it is more for the auditor to check these documents during site/facility/production audit. 

omar.safwat

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 31 January 2020 - 02:36 PM

that seems counter intutive. because we have 3 categories. 

Audit of production facilities and good manufacturing practice   (beside this is an orangeish color)
Audit of records, systems and documentation                            (beside this is an greenish color)
Requirements assessed in both                                                  (besides this is the 2 colors)

if stuff that are documented but audited on site fall under item 1. that what does item 3 represent? stuff that are audited in the office then on site separately. coming from ISO 9001 I was looking for more of here are the things that need to be documented. I guess that's not what the colors are for.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:17 PM

We have had this section completed as part of on floor inspection.  Major reason is that we have a PM system all set up electronically and best to have it reviewed with the maintenance team in their offices. There is a basic procedure written saying that the entire PM program is electronic and there is no list all by equipment numbers in system.  Never had an issue with audits to this point.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users