• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:59 PM

Good Day!

I am looking for information pertaining to "Hermetically Sealed Package" specifically roll-stock film. I am trying to validate this method of packaging for Sausages and Sausage Meat. In accordance with CFIA-SFCR-

Labelling requirements for meat and poultry products
Standard container sizes – Meat and poultry products

Certain consumer prepackaged meat products (definition), namely sliced bacon, sliced ready-to-eat (definition) meat products, potted meat products, sausages and sausage meat, that are interprovincially traded, imported or exported must be packaged in containers of a size that correspond to a prescribed net quantity by weight as outlined for items 2 to 4 in Table 2 of Schedule 3 of the SFCR [189(1), SFCR].

The standard container sizes for these consumer prepackaged (definition) products are included in the following table.

Standard container sizes for consumer prepackaged meat products Item #
in Table 2 of Schedule 3, SFCR Meat product Net quantity by weight 2. Sliced bacon 100 g or less in increments of 1 g, 250 g, 375 g, 500 g, 1 kg 3. Sliced ready-to-eat meat products and potted meat products 100 g or less in increments of 1 g, 125 g, 150 g, 175 g, 200 g, 250 g, 300 g, 375 g, 400 g, 500 g, 600 g, 700 g, 900 g, 1 kg 4. Sausages and sausage meat 100 g or less in increments of 1 g, 125 g, 175 g, 225 g, 250 g, 300 g, 375 g, 450 g, 500 g, 600 g, 675 g, 750 g, 900 g, 1 kg

When any of the meat products mentioned in the above table are a catch-weight (definition) meat product labelled with the net weight for retail sale, or are contained in a hermetically sealed package (definition), or have a net quantity greater than 1 kg, they are no longer limited to the prescribed standard container sizes [189(3), SFCR].

As well, meat products that are not subject to standard container sizes may be marketed in any format.

the reason I am trying to do this is because my company would like to have a 700g package. I have contacted my packaging supplier and got a letter stating:

"Blank Company film provides a hermetic seal when appropriately sealed together.

Exceptions would be package defects such as wrinkles in seal, product contamination in seal, sealing voids due to insufficient heat/pressure.

But generally speaking, once a package is sealed, it is considered hermetic. Blank Company films are barriers to microorganisms, spores, etc."

However, this is not adequate evidence. Is there any way to prove "Film" and "Sealing the film" is secure against the passage of Microorganisms including spores?

Thank you

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users